Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anemia and Hairloss

Announcements Posted on

Im an 18 yr old female and a few months ago around November my hair started falling out and i didn't think much of it till around December when i realised my hair was getting thin and really big bunches of hair were falling out when i showered. After a blood test i found out i had low iron levels. I started taking ferrous sulfate and i noticed instantly that my hair stopped falling as much.
    Last month i sort of stopped taking my iron tablets because i sometimes forgot and then i ran out and didn't pick up more. My hairs started to fall out again so im taking the iron tablets again.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had hair loss due to anemia and did it grow back?????
    I used to have really thick hair and its like half of my hair has gone and you can see my scalp at the back if I dont backcomb my hair properly

BUMP
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had this too. My iron levels were very low and I would lose so much hair every day, all over the place. You could tell where I'd been . Take your tablets until you're no longer anemic, so until your doctor tells you to, and your hair should not fall out anymore. It did take a while for mine to be how it was before the anemia, but I did have quite a bad case of it.

Maybe consider hair supplements? Apparently Viviscal tablets are very good.

(Original post by Nolwenn)
    I've had this too. My iron levels were very low and I would lose so much hair every day, all over the place. You could tell where I'd been . Take your tablets until you're no longer anemic, so until your doctor tells you to, and your hair should not fall out anymore. It did take a while for mine to be how it was before the anemia, but I did have quite a bad case of it.

Maybe consider hair supplements? Apparently Viviscal tablets are very good.
    Thanks for the reply
    Around how long did it take for your hair to get back to normal? I took my tablets for around 3 months and then got lazy and started to miss a few here and there. I have some small hairs sticking up from the top of my head maybe that was regrowth, but it doesnt seem thicker.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the reply
    Around how long did it take for your hair to get back to normal? I took my tablets for around 3 months and then got lazy and started to miss a few here and there. I have some small hairs sticking up from the top of my head maybe that was regrowth, but it doesnt seem thicker.
    Well for purely the hair loss, it stopped as soon as the anemia did. But having my hair get back to normal took texture wise, between 6 months to a year. That must seem really long I realise, but I tried not to pay attention to it. I really regret not having taken supplements. Everybody's different though!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 24, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.