The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gateshipone
My guess is BHS12 assumes that since the OP has a job, they won't actively seek work since they already have a job. If they don't look for work then yes, it would be fraud. If they do look for work, it won't be.

I think it's dependent on there being a reasonable timeframe. When I got my first job, starting a little over a month after I accepted the offer, I wasn't expected to keep looking for a job to do in the meantime. The intention of JSA isn't to pay people to spend time looking for a job, it's to support them while they don't have a job provided they're making every effort to get one. If a person has gone to the effort of getting a job offer, they're certainly fulfilling the criteria.

My concern is that if someone is working for a low wage on a temporary contract, they actually lose money if they find another job that doesn't start immediately after their contract finishes if it prevents them from claiming JSA.
Original post by Chumbaniya
I think it's dependent on there being a reasonable timeframe. When I got my first job, starting a little over a month after I accepted the offer, I wasn't expected to keep looking for a job to do in the meantime. The intention of JSA isn't to pay people to spend time looking for a job, it's to support them while they don't have a job provided they're making every effort to get one. If a person has gone to the effort of getting a job offer, they're certainly fulfilling the criteria.

Yeah but they still need to be actively seeking. That's the key part of JSA. If you don't actively seek work while claiming, even when you have a job offer, you are claiming fraudulently. The intention of JSA is to support someone while they're looking for work. If they're not looking for work then they don't get JSA.
Original post by M1011

Out of interest (to late for me now :tongue:) but are students entitled to claim during the summer if they are looking for work? Just wondering how it works.

Only if they're a parent (single or couple) of a young child.

Latest

Trending

Trending