Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Group theory help!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Let G be a nontrivial group (remember that the trivial group is the group with only one element, so a
    nontrivial group is a group with at least 2 elements). Suppose that the only subgroups of G are G and
    {1}. Prove that G is cyclic and finite, and prove that the number of elements in G is a prime number.

I can do the first part but not the second in bold, help would be appreciated.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it isn't prime, can you show that it has some subgroups other than those stated?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at Sylow's theorems.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimothy)
    Have a look at Sylow's theorems.

wouldn't lagrange suffice?
    • 4 followers

Suppose G is infinite, and split it into two cases: if G is finitely-generated then it contains an element of infinite order; and if G is infinitely-generated then it contains infinitely many generators (duh). In each of these cases you can find a proper subgroup by choosing every second power or every second generator, say. I'll let you fill in the details.

Now suppose G is finite. If it is generated by more than on element, can you find a proper subgroup? What about if it is generated by precisely one element which has composite order?

(Original post by ben-smith)
    No. That shows that if H \le G then \left| H \right| divides \left| G \right|; it doesn't show that if n divides \left| G \right| then there is a subgroup of order n. (And rightly so -- this isn't true!)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    No. That shows that if H \le G then \left| H \right| divides \left| G \right|; it doesn't show that if n divides \left| G \right| then there is a subgroup of order n. (And rightly so -- this isn't true!)
    ooops, right you are
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    If it isn't prime, can you show that it has some subgroups other than those stated?
    I think I might be on the right tracks if I start by assuming if

G=<g>, then write the identity element as g^(a) for some integer a and then do some more stuff. Will get back to you soon.

Ok, I think that g^n=e must be the case. And because of this if n=ab a,b>1, we can take any (g^a), (g^2a),...,(g^ba) will form a subgroup. Think need to prove this a bit more rigorously but I'm starting to see it. If I'm on the wrong tracks please tell me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks TSR.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    Nope, Sylow gives a partial converse to Lagrange, as a poster above has detailed I think.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, Sylow gives a partial converse to Lagrange, as a poster above has detailed I think.
    But it's pretty much overkill here, I think.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does Sylow obviously cover the case where the order of G is p^n with p prime and n > 1 ? I'd use Cauchy's theorem instead. It's lighter and covers this case cleanly.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    Does Sylow obviously cover the case where the order of G is p^n with p prime and n > 1 ? I'd use Cauchy's theorem instead. It's lighter and covers this case cleanly.
    Isn't Cauchy's theorem just a trivial consequence of Sylow's theorems?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Am I being stupid, or did Nuodai answer this completely without using Sylow/Cauchy/etc?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Every subgroup of a cyclic group is normal (because a cyclic group is abelian) and so appeal to the classification theorem for finite simple groups.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Am I being stupid, or did Nuodai answer this completely without using Sylow/Cauchy/etc?
    Nuodai is workin in ZFC, pretty sure the OP wanted a solution working within ZF.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (a) I'm not sure why you think that, and (b) surely ZF v.s. ZFC only arises in the case G is infinite and since Cauchy/Sylow are for finite groups they can't help anyhow?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Srs bsnizz.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.