The Student Room Group

Fat friend breaks your furniture: What do you do?

Scroll to see replies

say nothing,

but then tell everyone I know about it
Reply 21
e) Locate and dispose of their cake stash.
Reply 22
Original post by Fail Whale
a) Demand that they replace said item of furniture. Friend is mortified and you're embarrassed for them, but at the end of the day you really liked that chair and they broke it.
b) Casually mention that your favourite chair is broken and you wonder how it happened. This gives them the opportunity to turn themselves in and is less embarrassing than the first option, but there is the significant risk that they may not fess up.
c) Buy a new chair yourself and never mention the incident to Fat Friend at all. Friendship remains superficially intact but you'll always feel slightly bitter about the chair incident.
d) Buy a new chair and never invite Fat Friend to your house again.
e) Other

Just buy a new chair. Unless they're so fat that they could appear in an ITV documentary, the chair should be built strong enough to hold them up.
a chair i wouldnt give a fuss, if he broke my Plasma TV stand thats a different matter :biggrin:
a)
b) Casually mention that your favourite chair is broken and you wonder how it happened. This gives them the opportunity to turn themselves in and is less embarrassing than the first option, but there is the significant risk that they may not fess up.

"who on earth could have broken your chair!...somebody fat I bet!" *eyes you like a chinese shop owners eyes fat kids in his candy store*
use fat friend as a sofa.
Awks.
a) Demand that they replace said item of furniture. Friend is mortified and you're embarrassed for them, but at the end of the day you really liked that chair and they broke it.
c) Buy a new chair yourself and never mention the incident to Fat Friend at all. Friendship remains superficially intact but you'll always feel slightly bitter about the chair incident.
e) Other

e) Admit you have an unhealthy obsessive attachment to a chair.
Stop referring to your friend as 'Fat Friend'
Buy bean bags
Reply 28
Original post by Darth Stewie
Also would depend if i gave them permission to sit down, if you did then some of the blame is on you because it should have clicked that a 20st person + chair with 15st weight limit = bad idea.

Do you have to give your friends permission to sit down?

Also, what what you say, exactly?

"Um, sorry, you can't sit there, that chair has a 15 stone weight limit and you'll probably break it. Please remain standing."
I broke my sisters chair once. I broke the chair in my room and needed somewhere to revise so went and sat at her desk as she was out but that chair broke as well. I'm not even fat so I don't know how I managed to break both. I also broke a lot of chairs at school but that was from rocking on them. If it was a friend's I would have said something and offered to pay for it but since she broke my pool cue 3 years earlier I didn't bother. I would expect a friend to say something to me if they broke a chair, if its because they were fat it isnt like I would not have noticed they were fat already.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by F Ellen
Do you have to give your friends permission to sit down?

Also, what what you say, exactly?

"Um, sorry, you can't sit there, that chair has a 15 stone weight limit and you'll probably break it. Please remain standing."

Not always, sometimes they just plonk themselves but in the pre plonking phase where you see husky friend making eye contact with the weight restricted chair you can begin to launch countermeasures such as telling them its broken and to use another.

but if hypothetical husky friend came in and said "alright if i sit here?" and you said "yeh, sure" then surely some of the responsibility for not sort of easing them towards the beanie chair falls on you. Could say "er, no that chair is slightly wonky take the beanie chair instead." and then the crisis would be averted.
e) Other

TBH I'm a larger person, if I did that then I would offer to pay for it!!
Reply 32
Original post by Darth Stewie
Not always, sometimes they just plonk themselves but in the pre plonking phase where you see husky friend making eye contact with the weight restricted chair you can begin to launch countermeasures such as telling them its broken and to use another.

but if hypothetical husky friend came in and said "alright if i sit here?" and you said "yeh, sure" then surely some of the responsibility for not sort of easing them towards the beanie chair falls on you. Could say "er, no that chair is slightly wonky take the beanie chair instead." and then the crisis would be averted.

I have to admit, I LOL'd. Well played.

But what if there are no beanie chairs. Imagine you have a room full of chairs with only a 15 stone weight limit. The only seating option is the floor or the aforementioned chairs. What happens then?

Spoiler

Wudnt reli ask them to replace it but id still be annoyed so id laugh like a douchebag :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
e)
Take the chair back to the shop or just throw it away. If it was new then it is not suitable for purpose (holding a person), if it was old then it was probably going to break soon anyway...
Unless the person is fat enough to have their own documentary, the chair should be able to support them.
e) Other

Your fat friend should have realised what they had done and replaced it for you without you having to ask/tell them.
Reply 36
Keep on smashing the remnants of the chair over them. Watch out for splinters, though.

Good God, I mean C. If it's cheap, that is. If not, then the above, most certainly, followed by D.
I usually have a hard time asking anyone to repay something for me that they've broken when its purely accidental
Reply 38
Being fat has nothing to do about it - If someone breaks a chair and doesn't admit it, then obviously they have no confidence with their weight and need to go on a diet -.-
If I broke your iPhone by dropping it out a window, would you expect me to pay for it? Yes - You would :P

I would personally consider it more offensive if someone (No matter their weight) broke something I cherished and didn't tell me. But then again, since obese people don't like it when you point out that they dominate the space in the room, I'm honestly not sure how you could point this out without "Offending" them.

Either way, buy a stronger chair next time :colone:
Original post by F Ellen
I have to admit, I LOL'd. Well played.

But what if there are no beanie chairs. Imagine you have a room full of chairs with only a 15 stone weight limit. The only seating option is the floor or the aforementioned chairs. What happens then?

Spoiler

hmmm...ive got it!

As they are about to sit down quickly ask them to go grab you something out of the kitchen, as they go quickly grab all the books you can and stack them under the chair to provide extra support and hope that all will go well.

If it doesn't no one can say you didn't try and avert the situation lol :biggrin: tbh i couldn't imagine living without my beanie chair, honestly one of the best purchases i ever made.

I really have the urge to go and reinforce all my chairs now, tbh i should probably be studying as well :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest