The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham University Broadband

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scbond
90mbps isn't your internet speed lol. It'll more than likely be your data connection rate (ethernet cable is generally 100 mbps). Fastest consumer level broadband is 100 Mb so having that at UP for students is phenomenally unlikely. UP will be more like 2 Mb.

Also, using any sort of P2P service on the student network will see you banned permanently...then how will you get on Facebook and Twitter all day every day?!

The new ones go up to 10GBPS as do new LAN ports
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
That's physical LAN speeds over fibre optic networks, not the WAN.
Does anyone know if Netflix is allowed on campus?

I just got an account for the summer, and was hoping to keep it when I go to uni but if it's not going to work/not allowed/going to be slow then I'll probably cancel it just before uni.

Thanks!
Reply 23
It'll be allowed but unsupported by the IT support services, so if it doesn't work correctly for whatever reason, such as blocked ports by the SNS, then you're on your own. I see no reason why it wouldn't work and the 2 Mb connection which students get on campus should be enough as long as it isn't at peak times.

As mentioned previously, even if there is a greater speed on the SNS, I doubt it'd be much over 2 Mb and all students are stuck at that speed in halls anyway.
Original post by scbond
It'll be allowed but unsupported by the IT support services, so if it doesn't work correctly for whatever reason, such as blocked ports by the SNS, then you're on your own. I see no reason why it wouldn't work and the 2 Mb connection which students get on campus should be enough as long as it isn't at peak times.

As mentioned previously, even if there is a greater speed on the SNS, I doubt it'd be much over 2 Mb and all students are stuck at that speed in halls anyway.

Okay thanks!

Netflix say it works with anything from 0.5Mb and above so hopefully it should be fine!
Reply 25
Original post by helen-a-ravenclaw
Okay thanks!

Netflix say it works with anything from 0.5Mb and above so hopefully it should be fine!

As long as you are fine with some buffering time :smile:
Reply 26
Netflix works fine, even with the current issues affecting the campus (watching Mulan now! :-)). Although some protocols are bandwidth limited (HTTPS, Streaming, gaming) web browsing isn't, which is where the confusing speed test stats come from - it is measuring the speed from your computer, via the proxy server to the speedtest site - so is bloody quick. The uni has a 2Gbs off-site link so you would expect it to be so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending