Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kindles - goes here right?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about Kindles...

I'm the type of person that likes books...

And I like a lot of unusual books, such as Marx and Lenin works mainly for University that don't seem to be supplied as kindle books.

Are they worth it?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kindles are definitely worth it. I thought I wouldn't like them but I got one for my Birthday and now I would read it in preference to any Hardback and almost all Paperbacks (although it is nice to feel a real book sometimes).

Also, as it only takes less than 60 seconds to download a book, if you suddenly realise you need something to read on a train/plane journey, you can have it downloaded in the time it takes to put on a coat and get out the door.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CUFCDan)
    And I like a lot of unusual books, such as Marx and Lenin works mainly for University that don't seem to be supplied as kindle books.
    http://www.marxists.org/ebooks/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****, all 4 volumes of Capital.

Made my decision for me.

God bless you young squire.

Also thanks to the other poster. A lot have said they're glad they got one despite previous reservations.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I love owning the actual books, keeping them pristine etc (similar for games, I vastly prefer CD + box over digital download) - so for me the kindle isn't as appealing. I just listen to audiobooks or podcasts when on the go.

However dad has one, and I've been re-reading the Hunger Games on it whilst living with him on placement, and it's pretty handy. Comfortable too, since you can read it one-handed, which lets you lounge around on the sofa a bit more comfortably.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've more than got my money's worth out of my kindle. There are lots of books unavailable on it that I'll need for university (mainly legal guides or textbooks), but otherwise the number of ebooks available is astronomical.

I don't think you appreciate how much easier they are to read until you've got one. You can sit or lie in pretty much any position, and you still just need one hand to hold it and turn the pages. It's lighter than most paperbacks, which makes it easier to handle, and the amount of weight it saves you when you're travelling is significant.

I find there's much less glare on the screen than you get from a book too; not so important on most days in England I guess, but when the sun's out you definitely notice it.

Within a decade bookshelves will have been replaced with virtual projections of the sleeves of the books on your hard disk, so I find even the sentimental reasons for not picking one up to be pretty lacking.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just ordered the Kindle Touch for £109 (absolute con - so much cheaper in the states. **** you Amazon).

A lot of the books I want/need for Uni aren't on there, but that's not so bad I guess. I'll get a **** load of use out of it over the summer, and a lot of things that I want to read (like Mill's On Liberty are completely free - although I actually have the book...)

What got me is that I can annotate and leave notes on it anyway, which will be good to go back to and add ideas.

I prefer books, I actually have hundreds and I buy 5 or 6 every month, but sometimes lugging them around is a pain and when I go to work I can't take them with me.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.