The Student Room Group

Dropping out and doing something different.

Alright people, looking for a bit of advice/pointers in the right direction if possible!

Currently re-sitting my second year of Criminology and Sociology due to health reasons last year, however in recent weeks/months I've realised that it's not what I want to do at all. If I had come to this realisation a couple of years ago obviously I could have done something about it then! I have seen other courses at other Universities I am very interested in, but obviously already being in my third year of student finance they will only allow me one more!!

Another problem I have is fulfilling entry requirements to the course I am wanting to do (Sports and Exercise Science) I am 24 in September so could go down the route of a mature student. I did not take A Levels but took an Access Course in Humanities in order to get onto the Criminology and Sociology course. I could study an access course in Science but this is £1,600 out of my own pocket (that is empty) and an extra year.

People will say finish the course I am doing but a) I don't think I will achieve great grades the way I'm going and the current level of motivation or enthusiasm I have towards the course, and b) If I do leave this summer I can at least get one year of Student Finance if I get on another course in the future.

Cheers in advance for any advice/pointers/personal experience you can give!
Reply 1
Original post by joeyjarman
Alright people, looking for a bit of advice/pointers in the right direction if possible!

Currently re-sitting my second year of Criminology and Sociology due to health reasons last year, however in recent weeks/months I've realised that it's not what I want to do at all. If I had come to this realisation a couple of years ago obviously I could have done something about it then! I have seen other courses at other Universities I am very interested in, but obviously already being in my third year of student finance they will only allow me one more!!

Another problem I have is fulfilling entry requirements to the course I am wanting to do (Sports and Exercise Science) I am 24 in September so could go down the route of a mature student. I did not take A Levels but took an Access Course in Humanities in order to get onto the Criminology and Sociology course. I could study an access course in Science but this is £1,600 out of my own pocket (that is empty) and an extra year.

People will say finish the course I am doing but a) I don't think I will achieve great grades the way I'm going and the current level of motivation or enthusiasm I have towards the course, and b) If I do leave this summer I can at least get one year of Student Finance if I get on another course in the future.

Cheers in advance for any advice/pointers/personal experience you can give!

If you can get the money together to do a different course then change, if not then either stay on the course you're doing or drop out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending