Some Facts About Growth-Enhanced Genetically Modified Fish
1. Juvenile genetically modified fish have bright colouration.
2. Genetically modified fish are slower swimmers than native fish.
3. Sterilization techniques for genetically modified fish are not 100% reliable.
4. Genetically modified fish eat more than native fish and deplete food sources.
5. Genetically modified fish reach sexual maturity at a younger age than native fish.
6. Genetically modified fish have a mating advantage over native fish as a result of their larger size.
7. Genetically modified fish grow larger in laboratory conditions than in the natural environment.
8. Genetically modified fish are 30% more likely to die before reaching sexual maturity than native fish.
- based on Nature, 2000
< >1. Four of the facts listed above that are most likely to raise concerns that the native fish population might decrease if some genetically modified fish escape from their pens are _____, _____, _____, and _____.
I'm not sure what the answer to this one is. if someone could help it would mean alot !!
3, 4, 5, 6, I reckon.
1. Doesn't matter. If anything they'd be more likely to be eaten (easier to be seen by predators). Ergo, fewer reaching adulthood.
2. Well being slow isn't an advantage.
3. If they did escape, there isn't a 100% guaranteed way to sterilise them which could be an issue.
4. Eat more = be bigger and outcompete for food, so the wild type might die off.
5. They can breed sooner, so their offspring have greater availability of food etc.
6. Bigger is usually better in the animal kingdom.
7. Doesn't affect natural situations.
8. Well if they're dead they aren't really competing.
Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
Already a member?
Oops, something wasn't right
please check the following:
Not got an account?
Sign up now
© Copyright The Student Room 2015 all rights reserved
The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.
Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22
Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE