Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

According to a study, a quarter of English people think being white is important

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Or an important part of their national identity, I should say.

Nearly a quarter of English people still believe that being white is an "important" part of being English, a new survey has revealed.

The number was substantially higher than north of the border, where just 13% of Scots said being white was important to being Scottish.

The YouGov poll for think tank British Future found 52% of Scots thought having parents who were born in Scotland was an important factor. Being born in Scotland was considered even more important, with 73% saying it mattered to being Scottish.

"In the years since devolution Scotland and Wales have done more to create a more modern, inclusive pride in being Scottish and Welsh," said British Future director Sunder Katwala.

"But that is still evolving. That a slim majority still seem to think that having Scottish born parents makes you more Scottish shows that more needs to be done to create a fully inclusive identity."

Just three per cent of those aged 18-24 in Scotland thought it was important to be white to be Scottish, but the figure rose to 16% for the over-60s.

Thirty-one per cent of Scots said they felt Scottish, not British. Twenty-nine per cent felt equally Scottish and British, 26% felt more Scottish than British and five per cent more British than Scottish.

Of the English, 18% felt more English than British and 43% felt equally English and British.

Asked to rate the things that made them proud to be English, 89% of respondents mentioned the English language, 85% mentioned the Lake District, 80% mentioned the Queen and 86% mentioned Shakespeare.

The St George's flag continues to have overtones of racism and extremism to some people, according to 24% of respondents. Fourteen per cent said the same thing about the Union Jack.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2012/...ed-to-be-white
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sample size=KKK
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Morons.

I have black and brown skinned friends who are better at being British than I am.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    But +75% don't, look on the bright side
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hermóðr)
    Asked to rate the things that made them proud to be English, 89% of respondents mentioned the English language, 85% mentioned the Lake District, 80% mentioned the Queen and 86% mentioned Shakespeare..
    80% for the queen? No comment.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did the questionairre or the article differentiate between being Ethnically English or an English Citizen? Cause they are two quite different things. I can apply for Japanese citizenship - won't make me ethnically Japanese.

(Just for the record, I think ethnicity is largely a social construct, I'm referring to it to the extent you can get DNA tests to estimate what 'race' you are)
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm no racist, but we aren't even allowed the St George's flag now? Every country has had racism in its history, and every country has had slavery. Why can't we just forget about things that had nothing to do with us? Political correctness doesn't have to take away our national flag!

Edit: To clarify, I don't think you need to be white to be British, but saying the national flag is racist is ridiculous.

Edit 2: If you disagree with me and want me to know why then please tell me. Otherwise I will not know. I know it came across as a bit of a rant, but it annoys me when people get 'offended' over something so silly
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    FFS, I'm no racist, but we aren't even allowed the St George's flag now? Every country has had racism in its history, and every country has had slavery. Why can't we just forget about things that had nothing to do with us and everyone get on regardless of ethnicity? Political correctness doesn't have to take away our national flag!

Edit: To clarify, I don't think you need to be white to be British, but saying the national flag is racist is ridiculous.

Happy St George's day
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    Like OMG I just can't understand how anyone would ever think that, I mean we're all just human right?!?! You'll just never believe how incredibly unracist I am, no one will ever be more unracist than I am, like, I have friends of every colour in the rainbow.
    oh yea
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallant92)
    Happy St George's day
    Completely forgot Me and my flag-based patriotism...
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    So?

Ask a Nigerian if they think being black is an important part of being Nigerian, ask a Chinese person a similar question. I don't think any of you would honestly lambast a Kenyan for saying that they were proud of being Black and Kenyan and that being Black was an important part of their national Identity.

This isn't something that needs to be stamped out, it's an opinion. Yes, you can be British no matter what colour you are, but the fact remains the typical Briton is White, they have been for thousands of years, it is part of our national identity, and while it is not the be all and end all, it is a factor. You're not going to wash that away with 25 years of propoganda.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hermóðr)
    Or an important part of their national identity, I should say.
    OP, you're from down under, why do you give a crud?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty hilarious considering our ethnic makeup.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    sounds dangerously close to blonde hair, blue eyes to me...
    what i would be really interested to know is how many of the people asked were 'white', and their family backgrounds...
    though i have to say if i was scottish or welsh id be proud of being so, this probably sounds really odd because wouldnt say im proud if being english thats just a bit boring, but i would say im proud to be british... i think this is one of those things that makes more sense in my head than it does when written down.. :angel:

and racist flags stupidness... though i once got caught up in a EDL protest (we were in the car and there were two groups in the city opposing ideas and so they stopped the traffic and send edl down the tunnel we were in) scariest however long in my life, they would throw things/hit/jump on cars which held people who "looked" muslim... what mindless idiots...
    x
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lovey faced liberals. Lets play the 'i am less racist than you' game.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    sounds dangerously close to blonde hair, blue eyes to me...
    what i would be really interested to know is how many of the people asked were 'white', and their family backgrounds...
    though i have to say if i was scottish or welsh id be proud of being so, this probably sounds really odd because im not proud if being english thats just a bit boring, but i would say im proud to be british... i think this is one of those things that makes more sense in my head than it does when written down.. :angel:

and racist flags stupidness... though i once got caught up in a EDL protest (we were in the car and there were two groups in the city opposing ideas and so they stopped the traffic and send edl down the tunnel we were in) scariest however long in my life, they would throw things/hit/jump on cars which held people who "looked" muslim... what mindless idiots...
    x
    Thank you for ****ting on the English.
    What a stupid thing to say.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is being ethnically Japanese an important part of the Japanese identity?

Is being ethnically English an important part of the English identity?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plimsolls)
    Thank you for ****ting on the English.
    What a stupid thing to say.
    opinion...
    i cant think of anything that i think of being "english" ... it all seems more "british" than english ...
    list of english things to be proud of?
    x
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    though i have to say if i was scottish or welsh id be proud of being so, this probably sounds really odd because im not proud if being english thats just a bit boring
    How touching.

Kipling's line:

"makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" comes to mind...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 24, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.