The Student Room Group

The Tripos Exam Stress Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

I've just spent 10 minutes rearranging the furniture in my room to increase the amount of natural light reaching my book (rest).

Exams have never stressed me.

Nothing really stresses me.

I must be broken. : (
Reply 102
I rarely get stress. I get despair, apathy, depression, misery, melancholy, anger, irritation and so on, but not stress as such. Sometimes I think it would be a good thing, as it would be a motivation to work!
Original post by ukebert
I rarely get stress. I get despair, apathy, depression, misery, melancholy, anger, irritation and so on, but not stress as such. Sometimes I think it would be a good thing, as it would be a motivation to work!

Are your exams over?

If not, I find that working "on the clock" and documenting what I've achieved with iDoneThis helps me to keep track of how hard I'm working.

Like you, I'm still not stressed per se though. :indiff:
Reply 104
Original post by Tortious
Are your exams over?

If not, I find that working "on the clock" and documenting what I've achieved with iDoneThis helps me to keep track of how hard I'm working.

Like you, I'm still not stressed per se though. :indiff:

Yeah, ploughing through my final report atm. Which is a lot less worrying than exams, but is almost as frustrating :p:
Original post by ukebert
Yeah, ploughing through my final report atm. Which is a lot less worrying than exams, but is almost as frustrating :p:

Good luck with it! :h:
Reply 106
Some of the Emma IA mathmos made this and posted it on our college fb group - this is the way to revise!

Reply 107
Original post by Zoedotdot
Some of the Emma IA mathmos made this and posted it on our college fb group - this is the way to revise!

And they win today's non-existent genius prize.

I did try to get a scratch choir together to sing the XKCD comic from a couple of days ago, but it didn't quite work out, unfortunately.

For May Week, my husband and I are planning to write "We're Cambridge And We Know It". I doubt it'll ever be finished, but the ultimate dream is to have it picked up by the Access campaign... :mmm:

*Shares the mathmo vid on Facebook*
Reply 109
I am feeling your pain so much right now. Translation both ways is all I've done all day! I'm currently translating a past into English paper where the text is about the cultural significance of sofa catalogues and contains the Russian word for 'penopolyurethane', which I didn't even know was a thing! The proses are a million times worse. I did one timed and largely without a dictionary last night, which went really well, but most of them are significantly worse and make me want to cry a lot when I look at them because I don't know any words. I've started rewriting the English in the passages into simpler sentences that actually make sense before beginning to translate, but obviously there won't be time for that in the exam...

Hahaha, getting the names of strange chemical compounds into a translation is just mean. And sofa catalogues...how very bourgeois :tongue:

I now completely understand why my DoS called me a weirdo for saying I liked prose comp more than translation into English...But how is it possible to go from getting 70+ on all the prose comps we did for homework this year, to not knowing any of the vocab from the past exam papers?! I like your idea of simplifying the English first ("intralingual translation"), am going to have to try it!

I didn't know the word "effulgent". I think that I would do even worse in translation than you, since evidently I don't even know enough words in the one language that I can speak fluently (English) :p: Sadly my talent for languages is even more minute than my talent for Engineering.

Hahaha, I don't know what "effulgent" means either, that's why I was panicking!

Are your exams over now?
Reply 110
Original post by Chubasco

Hahaha, I don't know what "effulgent" means either, that's why I was panicking!

Are your exams over now?

Yes, thank God. They went inconceivably badly. Good luck to everyone, there is light at the end of the tunnel!
Reply 111
Original post by ukebert
Yes, thank God. They went inconceivably badly. Good luck to everyone, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Oh dear, surely they weren't that bad, I find that I always think I've done worse than I really did, so I think you'll have done fine :smile: And at least they're over...I would just like to skip the next three-and-a-half weeks...

Haha, fantastic! :yep:
Reply 113
Oh dear, surely they weren't that bad, I find that I always think I've done worse than I really did, so I think you'll have done fine :smile: And at least they're over...I would just like to skip the next three-and-a-half weeks...

Oh, they were :p: I don't think that I got over 40% in any of them. Thankfully I only had three, my other 5 modules were coursework only, so I think that I've passed the year, providing this report is up to scratch!
Reply 114
Original post by ukebert
Oh, they were :p: I don't think that I got over 40% in any of them. Thankfully I only had three, my other 5 modules were coursework only, so I think that I've passed the year, providing this report is up to scratch!

Wise move to do 5 CW modules, I only did 4.75 modules of CW but if I could do it again, I would have done maybe 6 CWork modules.

I realised that there was an option for a 5000 word dessertation in place of a module... so it wouldve been feasible!
Reply 115
I'm not looking forward to revision being over... it means I'll have no (legitimate) excuse to have pictures of old Bolshevik revolutionaries plastered over my walls :/
Reply 116
Original post by Leipzig
I'm not looking forward to revision being over... it means I'll have no (legitimate) excuse to have pictures of old Bolshevik revolutionaries plastered over my walls :/

Oh I don't know...I have Salvador Allende and a Che Guevara calendar :wink:
Reply 117
Oh I don't know...I have Salvador Allende and a Che Guevara calendar :wink:

PRSOM :frown:

I usually just have the "big three" (Marx, Engels, Honecker, who I occasionally pretend is my grandfather if people don't recognize him, for the banter). I've added Lenin, Stalin and the entire Central Committee of the Bolshevik Party, circa 1917... which is a bit much for everyday life, perhaps :|
Reply 118
Original post by Leipzig
PRSOM :frown:

I usually just have the "big three" (Marx, Engels, Honecker, who I occasionally pretend is my grandfather if people don't recognize him, for the banter). I've added Lenin, Stalin and the entire Central Committee of the Bolshevik Party, circa 1917... which is a bit much for everyday life, perhaps :|

One can never have too much Lenin in every day life.

(I definitely like this song way too much and listen to it whenever Russian is making me despair - always good to know that Lenin is always alive and always with me).
Reply 119
One can never have too much Lenin in every day life.

(I definitely like this song way too much and listen to it whenever Russian is making me despair - always good to know that Lenin is always alive and always with me).

A.MAZ.ING... this is all I have to offer in return (not as good tbh)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deDAxP8MzsQ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending