Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Medieval Town (3d Computer graphics)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have taken a gap year and have plenty of free time, I am preparing myself for university, working as a touring guide, hanging out, playing the guitar, and creating a medieval town.

I have modelled just a glazier's shop and started a Merchant's GuildHall so far, and would like to show some pictures to you, just to have some feedbacks

This would be a XIV century Glazier's Shop. I have read some books but I'm not an expert nor a medievalist (yet ha ha) so please correct my errors and inaccuracies (which I fear to be more than a few).

First of all, why did I choose to model a glazier's house and shop? Mainly because I wanted to model something not yet available on the internet, while you can find plenty of blacksmiths and quite a number of carpenters, there are not (or at least I haven't found) any 3d models concerning a Glazier. Secondly, because I wanted my model to be as complete as possible, and thought then that a glazier house would be quite rich but still different to a manorial house.

Ok, glaziers were among the richest craftsmen, because their skills were required by the church, lords, and rich merchants to create windows and other precious glass items such as bottles, goblets, alembics and so on. Thus, a glazier could afford to live in his private house (without sharing it with other people) which served as shop/laboratory/kitchen (sometimes) in the basement and as living/bed room on the upper floor(s) (if including the garrett).

As you can see from the models, in the shop many items and objects can be found. The furnace was used to: melt together sand and potash (to make glass), melt lead (to make windows layouts), cook (although rich people had a separate building which served as kitchen in the backyard and most of the times bought prepared food) and last but not least to heath the entire house (avoiding so the use of hearths which were in fact very dangerous, since most parts of the house were made of wood).

On the table you can notice some tools (knives, pliers, brushes, ladles...), some colours (to paint glass), a mould (to model lead and glass) and some parts of a window being assembled up. On the shelves there are some hand blown cups, glasses, bottles, goblets... while just underneath them you may notice some windows leaning on the walls, ready to be sold or brought to a client's house.

The stair case that will take us upstairs is adjoined to the shop. Once we have gotten to the first floor and passed through the wooden door, we see the actual living room of the house. There are: a bed (the mattress was filled with straw), simple and maybe uncomfortable but far better than sleeping on the ground, a table with some plates, glasses and bottles, a trunk (in which clothes, money and perhaps important documents were kept) with a candle and a book above it. May that be a common prayers book? They were quite expensive but perhaps affordable for a wealthy glazier. We may say so seeing that our glazier is a religious man, he has a precious kneeler and chair (perhaps gift of some important prior who had hired the glazier in the past) with finely decorated cushions on them.

In the dark picture you see I tried to make the reader feel what living in a medieval house must have been like. All the artificial lightings were removed and the only light is coming from the outside, through the windows. Internals are always darker than the outside, but we don't notice that since our eyes adapt almost immediately to the environment. Anyways, lighting was very poor and candles expensive and dangerous (needless to say why).
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Glazier's House.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	143605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Glazier's House 2.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	143606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	staircase.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	490.3 KB 
ID:	143607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lab internal 1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	143608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lab internal 2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	143609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upper Floor.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	143610  

Name:	Upper Floor 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	143611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glazier internal.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	143612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	staircase 2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	143613  
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Here is the second building I have started: The Merchant's Guild Hall. I thought a gothic style building would be perfect, very rich and neat, with stone walls and arched windows.

Here is what I have done so far. I need help, should I use sandstone (in the pic) or grey stone for the windows?
    Thanks and enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	merchants guild.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	143616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merchants guild windows.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	143640  
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have no useful input but it all looks good, yo.

Was expecting it to be awful. ;p
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Magnificent I'm not currently as clued up on medieval housing interiors as I plan to be, but I would say (again) that these look pretty much right. I would question whether they would have a furnace like that in the middle of a town - the apparatus to heat coals up to an industrial temperature in that era was quite substantial and so it would have been very difficult, plus of course there are obvious dangers of fire which is why most blacksmiths would be based outside town and village centres. On top of that I don't know whether people would have had a prayer station inside. They might well do, but I can't remember seeing any evidence for it and it seems likely that people would just read in bed. You probably know more about it than me if you have done any research.

As a matter of interest, check this out!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17797190
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks really good. Especially the interior with all the different windows and tools

If I had to give a criticism (nit picky, nothing major :P ) the 3rd picture in the OP the textures are a bit off on the ceiling beams.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I will fix those textures soon
    Mr Hayden, thanks for your comment, those info were really helpful. I will search the internet for major info about furnaces and how/where they were used in towns. Also I'll take another look at Mortimer's XIV century England cause if I well remember, there was a chapter dedicated to this kind of things.
    And then of course I have let my fantasy run a bit, though in the future I will try to be as historically accurate as possible. This was indeed my first model. Any suggestions for the Guild Hall? I have read that the merchants guild hall was among the most important buildings in a medieval town so I assume it was a rich palace too. What may we find in it? i thought of a table for "conventions" and official ceremonies, a room for making deals, a treasure room (?) and?
    • 77 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant! I'd love to see the finished product, it's coming along brilliantly. As obsessed with Medieval history as I am, I'm not too confident with the details of the buildings - I hope I can learn something from your work!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks it would be nice indeed to use these models for teaching purposes, first on I have to find tons of info though That was the purpose of all this, i've found out that learning through images helps a lot. Also, when one studies history they think it's all about dates, battles and documents, but actually it's nice to see that people were running normal lives and spotting the differences between us and them really gives a boost to the learning and to the level of interest
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tapestry.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	143784  

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 24, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.