The Student Room Group

Why do people hate Margaret Thatcher so much?

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorry, but what is to say that mining is not a proper job?
objectivism
People hate Thahtcher because they thought they had a right to a job, a right to live of others hard work. Thatcher was great and the miners were evil. They should have got proper jobs.

If you come from a family that did well from thatcher then your more likely to like here. People who did bad out of it hate her. As for your point about getting "proper jobs", i'd like to see you bowl straight into the kind of jobs that she tried to eliminate and do a good job. What is your idea of a proper job? Working in a call center or an office photo copying, cause thats where this country has gone. I'd rather work in a steel works or making safes than sit in a ***** office job. 3 milion unemployed- says it all.
Lord Waddell
I'm sorry, but what is to say that mining is not a proper job?

Jobs which are economically productive and worthwhile
My family did badly under Thatcher; I like her.

Expecting an immediate recovery of the economy after Thatcher made reforms is like performing an operation on someone and expecting them to win the Olympics; It took time for the economy to recover in order for the markets to fix the serious misallocation of resources, put there by various interventionalist governments.
gas_panic!
If you come from a family that did well from thatcher then your more likely to like here. People who did bad out of it hate her. As for your point about getting "proper jobs", i'd like to see you bowl straight into the kind of jobs that she tried to eliminate and do a good job. What is your idea of a proper job? Working in a call center or an office photo copying, cause thats where this country has gone. I'd rather work in a steel works or making safes than sit in a ***** office job. 3 milion unemployed- says it all.

Wanting something and the govt having a duty to provide u with it are quite different
Look, you have got to admire Mrs T for her guts and bravery as the first woman PM and as a PM who said enough is enough to the stranglehold of the unions on normal life - think of the consequences if she had given in to the miners and said fine you keep digging that coal - we wouldnt be in the hugely strong economic position we are in now, a top investment country and with some say on the world stage and you would have to keep re-starting your computer because of the power cuts and 3-day weeks! How annoying would that be?
sophisti_kate
Look, you have got to admire Mrs T for her guts and bravery as the first woman PM and as a PM who said enough is enough to the stranglehold of the unions on normal life - think of the consequences if she had given in to the miners and said fine you keep digging that coal - we wouldnt be in the hugely strong economic position we are in now, a top investment country and with some say on the world stage and you would have to keep re-starting your computer because of the power cuts and 3-day weeks! How annoying would that be?

Mrs Thatcher was a dreadfull women, she didnt care a jot about the people of this country and as a result thousands lost there jobs. She also abandoned public servies and promoted a culture of greed and selfishness that survives to this day. Her ecomnomic policies also led to years of a boom and bust econemy.
Numbers of shareholders rose 300%, 56 economic quarters produced constant growth (Hardly boom/bust).

The reason she didn't want public services is because she thought private companies could provide better services than public ones. I'd say she was completely right. She promoted individual responsibility, not greed.

Get it right.
ForeverIsMyName
Numbers of shareholders rose 300%, 56 economic quarters produced constant growth (Hardly boom/bust).

The reason she didn't want public services is because she thought private companies could provide better services than public ones. I'd say she was completely right. She promoted individual responsibility, not greed.

Get it right.

yes because companies like railtrack,consignia and the privtatised water and electricity companies have done so well havnt they?

If you got ill im sure you would be very greatfull that you were living in Britain and had access to free health care under the NHS instead of having to rely on private health insurance
Railtrack receive government subsidies. The others (When put on the stock market) were very successful in terms of sharing the wealth.

BT was an example of a very successful privatisation.

I'd prefer private companies to look after my health, but as the NHS has a monopoly on health at the moment I'll have to deal with it.
Reply 110
T'INTERNET_USER
yes because companies like railtrack,consignia and the privtatised water and electricity companies have done so well havnt they?

If you got ill im sure you would be very greatfull that you were living in Britain and had access to free health care under the NHS instead of having to rely on private health insurance

Maybe, but I'm also glad that trade unions are no longer crippling the economy.

The minor gripe I have with the privatisation of many public sectors is that they were grossly undervalued in many cases - we could have been much better off.
Consignia didn't do well, no. But that was because no one saw a point in the name change. The Royal Mail is improving though.
Incomplete privatisation seems to be the problem in the case of Railtrack. Half measures don't work so well.
T'INTERNET_USER

Err, Thatcher never tried to abolish or shrink the size of the NHS, or make people more dependent on private health care. She actually said "the NHS is safe in my hands". If these anti-Thatcher people actually considered the facts rather than engaging constantly in explosive rhetoric then she would receive the adulation she truly deserves.
Reply 112
I agree with you Greyhound, but I think (might be mistaken), they were arguing with
The reason she didn't want public services is because she thought private companies could provide better services than public ones. I'd say she was completely right
They probably are; They'll realise when they grow up.
Apagg
I agree with you Greyhound, but I think (might be mistaken), they were arguing with

whoops, although the ridiculous use of rhetoric alone I thought was enough to warrant a response.
Reply 115
Yeah, probably not that important, they'll probably give the same preplanned response no matter what
Anyhoo...if people during Mrs T's reign had disliked her so much they would have acted and got rid of her...shown by the Poll Tax riots etc etc...not everything can be blamed on the person in charge!
Reply 117
THE THATCH lol thats what ant and dec called her daughter on im a celebrity i dont know why people hate her so much either but you do notice old people going THATCHERS BRITAIN whenever something goes wrong so she must not have been that popular.
Reply 118
Very simplified...

Pre-Thatcher: Keynesian/interventionist government, welfare state, NHS yada yada, even distribution of wealth. Wahey.
1979: Winter of Discontent, weak Labour government, 90% wealth tax, union's taking over, economy a shambles. *******s to this...
Thatcher: monetarism, conservatism, tax cuts, privatisation yada yada. Wahey, life is good.
Mid 1980s: Public services fail, communities shafted, wealth gap widens, BR and all that jazz. *******s to this, get rid...
1990s: The Grey Man, relaxation of non-interventionism...

It's all one vicious circle. Good riddance to the bitch, imo. :smile:
Rainy
Very simplified...

Pre-Thatcher: Keynesian/interventionist government, welfare state, NHS yada yada, even distribution of wealth. Wahey.
1979: Winter of Discontent, weak Labour government, 90% wealth tax, union's taking over, economy a shambles. *******s to this...
Thatcher: monetarism, conservatism, tax cuts, privatisation yada yada. Wahey, life is good.
Mid 1980s: Public services fail, communities shafted, wealth gap widens, BR and all that jazz. *******s to this, get rid...
1990s: The Grey Man, relaxation of non-interventionism...

It's all one vicious circle. Good riddance to the bitch, imo. :smile:

Excellently put.

Brought a smile. Have a rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending