Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2nd yr nursing student and broody

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.
    I am a 2nd year nursing student and want to go onto midwifery after I have qualified as a nurse but I'm starting to get really really broody. I've been in a contraceptive pill for 4 years and been with my boyfriend for 5 years. We have lived together for a year but are both at uni so the timing now probably wouldn't be great. But I feel as though I don't want to wait until after I have done my midwifery degree in a couple of years as I will be nearly 25 when I qualify as a midwife.
    I really don't know what would be best to do.
    Please help and give me some ideas
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to TSR!

I suggest that you ask this question elsewhere, perhaps the 'Friends, Family and Work' forum would be a good choice.

:awesome:

(inb4illusionary)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your boyfriend about it. If he doesn't want a kid yet then you may have to wait. definitely wait until you finish your degree!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait until after youve done your degree, or youll be left with a baby and no degree and no job.

Have you talked to your bf yet? He might not want kids till he is 28 or something...?!

You say you will be 24yrs when you qualify as a midwife....to me that is not old AT ALL to have children and you will have plenty of time before your eggs shrivel to pop out some sprogs.

Try to not put a time limit on things. Talk it through with your boyf and relax a little about timing the future x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had my daughter at 23 and am expecting my son in August (I am now 25). I am about to start my OU degree in June and am VERY aware that it is going to be an uphill battle.

Don't get me wrong, I love my babies but for at least the first year of their lives they give very little back, each smile or giggle is counteracted by 5 or 6 nappies and at least an hour of screaming... not to mention the lack of sleep! Trying to make dinner becomes a mammoth task let alone trying to write an assignment or read! My daughter was 16 weeks old before my husband and I managed to get through dinner without having to pacify her and all my friends regard her as a perfect baby!

I regret not doing my degree before I had children and it is going to be very taxing for the next 5 years. I am glad I had/ am having my babies but they take a lot of time and effort, once they are here you can't change your mind and it takes at least a year for you to feel human again.

Please wait until you have finished your degree, a couple of years is nothing in the long run and you will appreciate your baby so much more if you don't have the added stress of study!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieMunchkin)
    Hey everyone.
    I am a 2nd year nursing student and want to go onto midwifery after I have qualified as a nurse but I'm starting to get really really broody. I've been in a contraceptive pill for 4 years and been with my boyfriend for 5 years. We have lived together for a year but are both at uni so the timing now probably wouldn't be great. But I feel as though I don't want to wait until after I have done my midwifery degree in a couple of years as I will be nearly 25 when I qualify as a midwife.
    I really don't know what would be best to do.
    Please help and give me some ideas
    how would you fund this child?

objectively, its simple.
    1. have child. struggle with arrangements for care, delay to your course potentialy, and be unlikely to come into any real money until the child is around 5.

2. wait for circumstances to be more stable, lose nothing in the long run.

do you want to bring a child into this world when you need to rely on loans and finance to support it, not be able to afford enjoyable experiences etc with your child.

personally, i want to know I can give my child a good standard of life before i start popping them out.
    there are enough children who grow up around the poverty line, why add to this for the sake of a few years?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denver2010)
    I had my daughter at 23 and am expecting my son in August (I am now 25). I am about to start my OU degree in June and am VERY aware that it is going to be an uphill battle.

Don't get me wrong, I love my babies but for at least the first year of their lives they give very little back, each smile or giggle is counteracted by 5 or 6 nappies and at least an hour of screaming... not to mention the lack of sleep! Trying to make dinner becomes a mammoth task let alone trying to write an assignment or read! My daughter was 16 weeks old before my husband and I managed to get through dinner without having to pacify her and all my friends regard her as a perfect baby!

I regret not doing my degree before I had children and it is going to be very taxing for the next 5 years. I am glad I had/ am having my babies but they take a lot of time and effort, once they are here you can't change your mind and it takes at least a year for you to feel human again.

Please wait until you have finished your degree, a couple of years is nothing in the long run and you will appreciate your baby so much more if you don't have the added stress of study!
    /\
    sensible advice

I was 21 when I had my first, 23 when I had my second, and 25 when I had my third. As a result I dropped out of uni.
    Wouldn't change it for the world, but with hindsight, if I could have had them later, I would have.

edited to add : (I too had a daughter first, and then next a son...born 14th August! So snap there!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for you advise. Still haven't mentioned anything to my boyfriend yet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieMunchkin)
    Thanks guys for you advise. Still haven't mentioned anything to my boyfriend yet.
    He'll probably say no anyway, so its pointless discussing it with us when you don't even know how he feels about it. Guys are pretty scared when it comes to babies! I'v been with my partner 3.5ys, we're getting married in a year, I would like to have a baby after getting married, he needs another 2-3yrs!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepy18)
    He'll probably say no anyway, so its pointless discussing it with us when you don't even know how he feels about it. Guys are pretty scared when it comes to babies! I'v been with my partner 3.5ys, we're getting married in a year, I would like to have a baby after getting married, he needs another 2-3yrs!
    It's not just guys! I'm terrified of the thought of a baby!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.