Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car Insurance - 18 Years Old - CoverBox?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I passed my test the other day! I have my own car and I'm now looking to get some insurance sorted... and therein lies the problem.. they're all astronomical insurance rates! I suppose I can understand the reasons why but it still doesn't seem completely fair.

Anyway, I have come across an insurance company known as CoverBox on GoCompare and from what I understand about them they're sort of like a Pay As You Go insurance board rather company.

So far they have been the cheapest quote at just over £1500 comprehensive cover (all of my other quotes have been £2500+).

(I have a 1.6 2004 (New Style) Vauxhall Astra by the way)

My issue is that I was reading about some black box type thing that they want to install in to your car if you're registered with them to monitor your speed and the time's you're using the car. The reason why I'm mainly concerned is that I'm confused as to whether I accidentally exceed the speed limit e.g. by going 31mph in a 30mph zone, will this increase my premiums?

It seems very Big Brotherish in that they also install a tracker to ensure your car is parked at your residence etc. although they try to word it more so as a safety feature in case your car is stolen.

Any one had any experience with this company?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just taken out an insurance policy with the Coop who fit a smartbox to your car. I've only driven the car twice since the box was fitted, but from what I've seen so far, it's not that sensitive on speed. It's more about whether you are driving above or below the speed limit on average. For example, the two times I've been for a drive, I've been going up to 10mph above the speed limit for brief periods, but this has been balanced out by being held up in slow moving traffic. Obviously you want to try and stick to the speed limit as much as possible, but it's not as critical as you may think it is. Momentarily going 1mph over the speed limit will make absolutely no difference. Infact, if you're 1mph over on your speedometer, chances are you're actually a few mph under the speed limit when calculated using GPS, since all speedometers tend to over-read.

I'd recommend the Coop over the company you're looking at though, because the Coop is not pay as you drive. You simply specify the approximate mileage you intend to cover over the year.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not wanting to sound like a fuddy duddy, but what did you expect quote wise when your first car is a 1.6 and comprehensively covered haha?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My first car was a 1.8 and that was insured fully comp for £2200 without a stupid box thing.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just putting this out there. I was quoted £450 on a 1.2 Corsa (my old one).

Also, A lot of the time, (this is for a person up there but I cannot be bothered to quote them) having fully comp is cheaper and not alway s going for the highest excess can be cheaper as well...

I KNOW RIGHT!

p.s. I now pay £750 for my 1.6 Astra (I have 2 years no claims).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Co op are brilliant. I use them and for the price you can't go wrong...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would you buy a car without seeing what the insurance would be like first?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maccees)
    Not wanting to sound like a fuddy duddy, but what did you expect quote wise when your first car is a 1.6 and comprehensively covered haha?
    My first car was a 1.6 Astra, and I insured it for around £1600 fully comp without a black box!

OP - have you tried Admiral / Aviva / Tesco / Direct line? I find they offer the best prices, stick your parents on as named drivers too.

I would never have a black box installed in my car, and they are not even that cheap. Tried a quote with coop for a laugh and they came back with £2k! The car is insured for £800 odd with Admiral.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    Just putting this out there. I was quoted £450 on a 1.2 Corsa (my old one).
    HOW?!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPhone)
    HOW?!
    That's fully comp. 250 excess.

It's because I have 2 years no claims I suppose and I don't live in a dangerous area when I am at home. That's all I can think of.

There were no named drivers, it was my car, my insurance.
    Yeah.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't want one of them black box things installed. If you drive at night your premium goes up etc and they can put it up at any point. I'd rather have one fixed price which I pay knowing it'll stay the same, but maybe that's just me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Interesting (people who quoted/referenced me)

I have a 1.6 astra as well xD

Just renewed, 2 years no claim, £1024 :/

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.