Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stan Collymore's team to face France at Euro 2012

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stan has been talking about which team England should play vs France in the first Euro 2012 game - this is the 11 he has gone with

Hart
    Walker
    Cahill
    Terry
    Cole
    Gerrard
    Parker
    Walcott
    Ox
    Young
    Holt

what do you make of that team and what would be your team?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad team actually, i'd take Welbeck/Bent (if he's fit)/Defoe over Holt though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard is not good as a central midfielder, he's best in behind the striker. I don't know where this belief he has to play in the middle has come from.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather Gerrard was used behind the striker instead of Ox, with Welbeck up front instead of Holt. Ox should only be used as an impact sub
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The French would piss themselves laughing at that ****e.

Grant Holt up front man jesus christ :rofl2:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where has this even come from? ..
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Where has this even come from? ..
    https://twitter.com/#!/StanCollymore...735361/photo/1
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion the Euro's would be best used to bring up younger players into the senior England team. This way we can have a solid national team in two years time for the World Cup. This was the strategy that the German National Team used in the last Euro's and look how well that worked out for them in the WC.

I'd drop Cole and Gerrard from the line-up. They're top players but I think their age rules him out. It could be nice to see Phil Jones? Josh McEachran? Kelly? Jack Rodwell? Ryan Bertrand? Welbeck?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    TalkSh*te
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard at CM :facepalm2:
    AOC :facepalm2:
    Holt :facepalm2:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinx!)
    In my opinion the Euro's would be best used to bring up younger players into the senior England team. This way we can have a solid national team in two years time for the World Cup. This was the strategy that the German National Team used in the last Euro's and look how well that worked out for them in the WC.

I'd drop Cole and Gerrard from the line-up. They're top players but I think their age rules him out. It could be nice to see Phil Jones? Josh McEachran? Kelly? Jack Rodwell? Ryan Bertrand? Welbeck?
    This is exactly what Germany don't do. They bring youngsters into the National Team if they're good enough, not because they're young. It's the same with the older players (Klose, Friedrich, Rolfes, even Lahm and Schweinsteiger to an extent), they aren't dropped because they're old, they're played because they are the best players for that position.

Even thought Cole is nearing the end of his peak playing years he's still England's best LB, and Gerrard should be played behind the striker or not at all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinx!)

You do realise that the Euros is a major tournament? We should send our best team and try to win it. We have qualifiers and friendlies for the 2 years in between before the world cup for players to be introduced into the fold and to get international experience. I don't think Germany randomly threw in youngsters in the tournament, they decided they were good enough and were blooded in before the tournament.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinx!)

If you're good enough, you're young enough.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you mean old enough.
    • 12 followers

Good to see one of the much vaunted pundits recognizing Ox's rise to stardom, with his 15 starts for Arsenal.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I loved Stanley Collymore as a player but dear dear he does spout some absolute tripe at times..
    Oxo
    Feo Walcott
    Holt

Those three should be nowhere near the national side, i'm an Arsenal supporter, Oxo hasn't been that good, Pilkington at Norwich has been better, even Bennett, Walcott is pants and Holt isn't international class.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol Kyle Walker is a defensive liability.

He's like Glen Johnson, a frustrated winger.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinx!)

Josh McEachren who can't get into the Swansea City side? Phil Jones, been crap. Rodwell, so overrated. You have no clue.

I don't know where this obsession for Holt has come lately too. He's a good player suited for Norwich. But an International player in the Euros? Out of his depth by a mile. A player used by his strengths at Norwich but someone who should not be at the Euros if England don't want to lose every game.

Walcott should not be going. Yes he works well with RVP but for England he does nothing. It's just going to be another hilarious disaster at the Euros for the English i'm confident of Something with if Hodgson or Redknapp gets given the mangerial post will make it more funny as Hodgson especially will fail hugely!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see everyone's issue with Grant Holt? He would be used for the two games Rooney is suspended for, then dropped. He can hold the ball up, and he scores goals. More than Defoe, more than Welbeck, more than Sturridge. If the support play is good enough he will be in the position to score.

If you have faith that Young/Gerrard/Parker/Walcott/Sturridge/Schole etc, can play behind him and create, then he will do his job I'm sure.

I have watched Liverpool all season, and it's so clear that teams need someone to stay in the box and be in the right place to score, something Liverpool haven't got. Compare that to Newcastle with Cisse, Everton with Jelavic, Arsenal with RVP, teams need a poacher IMO.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dorito)
    lol Kyle Walker is a defensive liability.

He's like Glen Johnson, a frustrated winger.
    Johnson clearly isn't when he was part of the second best defensive lineup in the league before things went pear shaped for Liverpool. He's played under Mourinho, Benitez, Hodgson, Dalglish, Redknapp, Capello etc etc... All of whom he's played primarily RB under, yes? So clearly, he's not a Right winger?

Teams do need a poacher, I agree. Owen was England's last good goal scorer. Rooney could create behind him, at his age Gerrard now needs to play here, the problem was trying to fit Lampard/Gerrard/Rooney all behind Owen in the creative role. As well as this though I think you need somebody like Defoe or Bent, and also either Crouch or Carroll. Different options and all that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 14, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.