Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to change courses at LSE.

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have an offer to start an undergraduate course at LSE (starting 2012), and was wondering how easy it is to change courses while you're there, or even beforehand. I've been having doubts over my current choice, and am now considering either history or law.

When would be the appropriate time to contact them about this?

Thanks,
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What course do you have an offer for? Usually, you can switch kind of easily within a department, but I think it's a bit harder between departments. Looking at the courses you want to switch to, it is obvious those are outside of your current department, so it may be difficult. I don't think I've heard of anyone switching at the beginning of the year, usually people tend to switch going into their second year. I suggest contacting the head of your current department/head of the new department to see what they have to say? I am honestly unsure of the whole procedure for switching course, but hopefully this kind of helps? haha, good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avash27)
    What course do you have an offer for? Usually, you can switch kind of easily within a department, but I think it's a bit harder between departments. Looking at the courses you want to switch to, it is obvious those are outside of your current department, so it may be difficult. I don't think I've heard of anyone switching at the beginning of the year, usually people tend to switch going into their second year. I suggest contacting the head of your current department/head of the new department to see what they have to say? I am honestly unsure of the whole procedure for switching course, but hopefully this kind of helps? haha, good luck!
    I think the only exception is if they have identical first year i.e. Business Maths with Stats to Maths and/with Economics
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avshua)
    I think the only exception is if they have identical first year i.e. Business Maths with Stats to Maths and/with Economics
    Yeah I thought it was something like that, or very similar first years. I know someone who was going to switch from Pol/Phil to Econ/Phil and they would have had to take the first year Econ courses 2nd year while continuing normally with Philosophy. I'm not sure how many 2.1s/2.2s etc they needed to switch either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avash27)
    Yeah I thought it was something like that, or very similar first years. I know someone who was going to switch from Pol/Phil to Econ/Phil and they would have had to take the first year Econ courses 2nd year while continuing normally with Philosophy. I'm not sure how many 2.1s/2.2s etc they needed to switch either.
    Can i also ask you out of interest whether LSE is well known in the states? If so, what is the reputation like? Comparable to some lower ivies?

Sorry OP for hijacking you thread a bit but hopefully we have already answered your question
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My friend switched from Pharmacy to Human Biology halfway through first year... best bet would be to email the programme leader
    Good Luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can change while you're there. Don't know how easy it is though.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avshua)
    Can i also ask you out of interest whether LSE is well known in the states? If so, what is the reputation like? Comparable to some lower ivies?

Sorry OP for hijacking you thread a bit but hopefully we have already answered your question
    I'll PM you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of someone change from history to law in first year; it all has to be done within the first couple of weeks though I think.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.