The Student Room Group

Statistics 1 (S1) May 24th REVISION!!

Scroll to see replies

got an E in my mock on tuesday, now got 72/75 on a past paper, having spent all day revising including throwing up as im ill.
To all of you who are feeling low, and are panicking about it being all last min, if I can jump that much, so can you.Watch videos online it helps so much. With probability and normal distribution ( I hate them so much) but use what you know, and if worst comes to worse for normal distribution you can gain half the marks just by doing your working out, as the MS is quite lenient. Good luck all tomorrow :smile: lets ace this crappy unit so we dont have to see it again! :biggrin:
Reply 81
Original post by Amy-Rose
This might be a really silly question but what is this regression that people are speaking of, I did a mock the other day and got 85% so I'm doing alright but what is this regression stuff? :tongue:

Regression is the whole 'y on x' / 'x on y' thing :P
a linear regression line is just basically a line of best fit that has the form y=a+bx (a bit like a normal line has the form y=mx+c)

you just calculate the regression coefficient (either y on x or x on y) and then you use that to find the equation of the regression line!
(all formulas under correlation and regression in the formula booklet)

if you have x as the controlled variable (ie. the one that is changed/independent) then you need to use the formulas for y on x
but if you have y as the controlled variable you need to use x on y so the formulas change (you swap all the y's and x's in the formulas).

hope this helped :smile:
Original post by om-nom ._.
does anyone have any general tips for this exam/ revision notes??
especially on permutations and combinations i can't do them at all!
really worrying about this exam, did a past paper and got a D :s-smilie:

practice really :smile: look at my post from 2 mins ago if its any help.
I have the edexcel S1 book its so good, it summaries everything at the end, so ensure you know the formulas- they are in the formula book., and the ones that arent go over them.
Understand how to interprete data e.g. shows positive correlation when close to 1, and neg when closer to -1.
Erm, do everything methodically and make working out clear to prevent numerical errors.
Probability and normal distribution are a bitch for me, so just practical loads of questions from the textbook, and if worst comes to worst do what you can, as you'll get at least half the marks from your working out (the mark schemes are pretty lenient for these two topics)
good luck :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by AishaTara
practice really :smile: look at my post from 2 mins ago if its any help.
I have the edexcel S1 book its so good, it summaries everything at the end, so ensure you know the formulas- they are in the formula book., and the ones that arent go over them.
Understand how to interprete data e.g. shows positive correlation when close to 1, and neg when closer to -1.
Erm, do everything methodically and make working out clear to prevent numerical errors.
Probability and normal distribution are a bitch for me, so just practical loads of questions from the textbook, and if worst comes to worst do what you can, as you'll get at least half the marks from your working out (the mark schemes are pretty lenient for these two topics)
good luck :smile:

thanks for the advice! yeah same with me for probility, i just stare at the questions for ages and don't know where to start! but it's getting better as i do more past papers :smile:
Reply 84
*probability
:P
Reply 85
got an E in my mock on tuesday, now got 72/75 on a past paper, having spent all day revising including throwing up as im ill.
To all of you who are feeling low, and are panicking about it being all last min, if I can jump that much, so can you.Watch videos online it helps so much. With probability and normal distribution ( I hate them so much) but use what you know, and if worst comes to worse for normal distribution you can gain half the marks just by doing your working out, as the MS is quite lenient. Good luck all tomorrow :smile: lets ace this crappy unit so we dont have to see it again! :biggrin:

The exam Is on the 24th though, not tomorrow :dontknow:...

Well done on that result, big jump!

I assume you do a different exam bored? As we dont do normal distribution till S2 :smile:

I'm sure you'll ace it, good luck!
Original post by Doctor.

I assume you do a different exam bored? As we dont do normal distribution till S2 :smile:

Don't remind me its the 24th, same time as my D1... double trouble :frown:

I have C2 tommorrow, so ive been neglecting my S1 the past 2 days, I did answer your question though about regression's awhile back though, not sure if you saw it! Oh and did you get those notes down that you said you would? Doesn't matter if you havent.
Reply 87
Original post by Genesis2703
y on x, used when x is the independant variable and is the more common of the two, it is a best fit line that minimises the distances in points on a scatter graph in terms of differences in the y direction. It is used to estimate y given x and is written as y = a + bx

x on y is used when y is the independant variable, and minimises the scatter graph point differences from the line in terms of the x direction. It is used to estimate x given y and is written as x = a + by

If x is a CONTROLLED variable, the y on x regression line should be used to estimate y given x AND x given y.

Estimates from a regression line are reliable if...
A) Correlation is strong
B) Not extrapolating too far from the original data
They both meet at the point (mean x, mean y)

EDIT: Changed with correct information. :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Genesis2703
Don't remind me its the 24th, same time as my D1... double trouble :frown:

I have C2 tommorrow, so ive been neglecting my S1 the past 2 days, I did answer your question though about regression's awhile back though, not sure if you saw it! Oh and did you get those notes down that you said you would? Doesn't matter if you havent.

Ergh that must be annoying lol

Oh good luck for tomorrow, I'm see you'll do fine :yes: and I did see it! It was early in the morning today, so I was too sleepy to respond. I've copied and pasted it and will be giving It a good read once I get all the probability out of the way :smile: thanks again!

I've done the notes, which are more or less a breakdown of what the textbook says, but kinda more without the waffle :tongue: My dad hasn't brought the scanner yet :unimpressed:
Just waiting to get that and ill post up :colonhash: (he's v.forgetful, even though I texted him 3 times...:facepalm: )
Reply 89
Original post by om-nom ._.
does anyone have any general tips for this exam/ revision notes??
especially on permutations and combinations i can't do them at all!
really worrying about this exam, did a past paper and got a D :s-smilie:

After revision, Do as many practice questions as possible! From your texbook, past-papers and online-exam-solutions S1 section.
Original post by Doctor.

on damn, which board is this? I'm doing the exam tomorrow :tongue:
Reply 91
on damn, which board is this? I'm doing the exam tomorrow :tongue:

This Is OCR I think, OCR is the only one doing S1 on the 24th :smile:
Reply 92
Right guys, today has been consisting of probability & distributions.

Did notes on both of them sections, all of which were pretty much a summary version of the Textbook. Although it was fun, my new awesone pens arrived today :ahee: (from Japan! :sexface: )

Then the past papers began, I just did the probability and distributions questions, but there are so many! Only managed to do 4/10 of the papers.

Tomorrow plan is to make an early morning start on the paper questions that I didn't do today :jive:. Then get to making notes on Representing data :lol:. That should probably cover my revision for the day! :yep:

Exam is getting scary close now :hmpf: So what did you lot do today then? :yes:
Original post by Doctor.
Ergh that must be annoying lol

Oh good luck for tomorrow, I'm see you'll do fine :yes: and I did see it! It was early in the morning today, so I was too sleepy to respond. I've copied and pasted it and will be giving It a good read once I get all the probability out of the way :smile: thanks again!

I've done the notes, which are more or less a breakdown of what the textbook says, but kinda more without the waffle :tongue: My dad hasn't brought the scanner yet :unimpressed:
Just waiting to get that and ill post up :colonhash: (he's v.forgetful, even though I texted him 3 times...:facepalm: )

Your dad is a meanie, and yeah don't rush yourself, just revise one thing at a time :smile:

Thanks btw for saying Good Luck :smile:

Original post by Doctor.
Right guys, today has been consisting of probability & distributions.

Did notes on both of them sections, all of which were pretty much a summary version of the Textbook. Although it was fun, my new awesone pens arrived today :ahee: (from Japan! :sexface: )

Then the past papers began, I just did the probability and distributions questions, but there are so many! Only managed to do 4/10 of the papers.

Tomorrow plan is to make an early morning start on the paper questions that I didn't do today :jive:. Then get to making notes on Representing data :lol:. That should probably cover my revision for the day! :yep:

Exam is getting scary close now :hmpf: So what did you lot do today then? :yes:

I did nothing S1 today (sorry D:smile:, but I will this weekend. I love japan, so the pens must be awesome :smile:
Reply 94
Original post by Marcos135
After revision, Do as many practice questions as possible! From your texbook, past-papers and online-exam-solutions S1 section.

will do, i'm on it! :P
www.mathshelper.co.uk

now THIS is a good site...
Reply 96
Still don't understand the y on x and x on y regression lines, in the MS they look for stupid reasons etc:facepalm:

Did a couple of past papers, getting nowhere near full marks or anything. It's is really annoying as I have spent so much time revising. Oh and I make retarded mistakes on representing data questions :lol:
Reply 97
Who here has done the January 2012 paper as a mock exam? I need some help on the last two questions, didn't understand it at all :frown: :frown:
Reply 98
My god, that was a hard paper! Didn't do too bad, despite practically messing up the last two questions (got it now :tongue:).

Rest of the paper was fair, tricky though
Reply 99
Original post by Doctor.
My god, that was a hard paper! Didn't do too bad, despite practically messing up the last two questions (got it now :tongue:).

Rest of the paper was fair, tricky though

lol that was the paper i got a D in! it was soo hard! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending