The Student Room Group

Higher English - Critical Essays - "Hamlet"

Anyone up for a discussion on "Hamlet" and want to ask any questions which they are unsure about to do with writing about the play in the exam on May 17th?

Scroll to see replies

"to be or not to be, that is the question", relates well to this discussion.

I strangely find Hamlet the easiest thing to write about, just remember the key scenes, especially the closet and end ones, can write loads about them! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by S119234
"to be or not to be, that is the question", relates well to this discussion.

I strangely find Hamlet the easiest thing to write about, just remember the key scenes, especially the closet and end ones, can write loads about them! :smile:

Oh no you didn't, I was going to quote that! :emo:

However my favourite quote might possibly be: 'I have heard of your paintings too, well enough. God has given you one face and you make yourselves another'.

I actually enjoy writing essays on Hamlet, despite the fact I did not understand a thing whilst reading it in class. And I agree, the reason I probably enjoy writing essays on Hamlet is because they are normally pretty easy! Once I start writing about Hamlet's procrastination and the whole 'deceptive appearance' details, I can't stop...
Original post by Nfergs
Oh no you didn't, I was going to quote that! :emo:

However my favourite quote might possibly be: 'I have heard of your paintings too, well enough. God has given you one face and you make yourselves another'.

I actually enjoy writing essays on Hamlet, despite the fact I did not understand a thing whilst reading it in class. And I agree, the reason I probably enjoy writing essays on Hamlet is because they are normally pretty easy! Once I start writing about Hamlet's procrastination and the whole 'deceptive appearance' details, I can't stop...

Hahaha :biggrin:, I wasn't even aware that that quote existed!

Other favourite one has to be "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark", ahhh!!, so much to write about that, literally usable in EVERY Hamlet essay! :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, I'm doing Hamlet, but it isn't one of my strong pieces and will avoid it if I can but still need to cover it just in case. I understand it and I understand the themes etc (at least I think I do) but then I write an essay I think is ok and it gets a terrible mark whereas for my poems especially The Jaguar I write an essay I think is ok and instead get a great mark. so yeah, I'm going to start a "I-Hate-Hamlet-Essays-Club" Anyone wanna join?
Reply 5
Original post by S119234
Hahaha :biggrin:, I wasn't even aware that that quote existed!

Other favourite one has to be "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark", ahhh!!, so much to write about that, literally usable in EVERY Hamlet essay! :smile:

I've heard that quote, although don't really know what it's about.

The one I mentioned is when Hamlet sort of verbally abuses Ophelia when she gives him back his love letters or something. But anyway, he rants about women using make-up and how he doesn't like it because they're hiding their real faces, and using a fake appearance. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
"that one may smile, and smile, and be a villain"
One of my favorites!

Anyone fancy's sending me bits and bobs of analysis or essays it would be appreciated! I'm such a fail at English its embarrassing
If you feel it isn't too late get the York Notes on Hamlet!
Reply 8
The main questions which appear regularly are to do with:

- contrast between characters
- conflict between characters
- theme of revenge
- turning point
- mood/atmosphere
(then any other question can usually just be related to one of the above)

Simply learn what you would write for the above and then use what you know to answer the question in the actual exam on 17th May
Reply 9
I'd say without a doubt there's a question suited for Hamlet every year. Don't quote me on that though... I might have juct completely made that up, although I'm sure my English teacher said it is possible! :bigsmile:
Original post by Nfergs
I'd say without a doubt there's a question suited for Hamlet every year. Don't quote me on that though... I might have juct completely made that up, although I'm sure my English teacher said it is possible! :bigsmile:

I'd broadly agree. But quite a lot of the Hamlet questions can be really quite difficult to answer even if they do come up every year :tongue:
Reply 11
in the past 10 years I would say only 2011 was the difficult one to find a decent question for Hamlet
Bumping this up as the exam is ever closer and so many pupils do Hamlet
Reply 13
Out of curiousity how many texts (plays/novels/poems) are people learning for Thursday?
I knoe people who are freaking out and learning loads but then others who are taking risky strategies a
I am learning 1 play, 1 short story and two poems! Im really worrying about the close reading, anyone got any tips? My marks are usual 25-30 in them, and i need a B in English for my conditional! :eek:
I'm learning Hamlet, a novel and a couple of poems. I probably won't use the novel unless I'm stuck with Hamlet, which shouldn't happen :P
Reply 16
Original post by freedom123
I am learning 1 play, 1 short story and two poems! Im really worrying about the close reading, anyone got any tips? My marks are usual 25-30 in them, and i need a B in English for my conditional! :eek:

Erm..look at the marks available as that's a guide as to how much you should write. Some people spend loads of time on 2 mark questions and write loads but then hardly write anything for 4 mark questions or don't leave enough time for the last question. Read over your answer and make sure you think its enough for the marks available, if not find something else to write.
Original post by scottish19
Erm..look at the marks available as that's a guide as to how much you should write. Some people spend loads of time on 2 mark questions and write loads but then hardly write anything for 4 mark questions or don't leave enough time for the last question. Read over your answer and make sure you think its enough for the marks available, if not find something else to write.

Cheers mate, I try to write a lot for every question but times an issue and hard to judge! The last question this year has changed, and im hoping its a bit easier because its now going to be more direct in what it is asking for! :biggrin:
There is always a essay question and it asks aboutn a key scence, what would yous guys say is the best key scene in Hamlet? I have trouble remembering which scenes quotes are in aswell!
Reply 19
I got taught to do the turning point (Act 3 Scene 3) as the important scene as it changes the play as a whole? Depends what you were taught to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending