Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

BA (Econ) Third Class Honours - Manchester

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 90BRO)
    Interesting thoughts! I don't think I can redo my year. Currently in the process of cramming for my final exams, starting in 10 days. Just doing my best tbh. At this stage I figure at the very least, a good third year average will only be a good thing.
    Considering your a final year student, could you tell me what modules you recommend? I'm a second year student and need to choose what I do next year.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A third class degree is going to hurt you, there's no doubt about that. You'll probably be looking at jobs that don't necessarily require a degree, jobs where you'd be able to apply with a CV that just lists your degree without a grade (i.e they don't care). On the bright side, there's plenty of people with 2.2s, 2.1s and 1sts in jobs that don't actually require a degree .

Econ at Manchester is fairly strong but it's not going to help you really. A third class in Maths at Cambridge would only be a marginal positive.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meee123)
    The most successful person I know has a 3rd class degree. It's what you do with it what counts. You have to become good at selling yourself, buff up you CV with lots of extras i.e. training/skills specific to what you want to do (particularly if you pay for private training that is accredited/leads to professional qualification), volunteer, etc. My friend did exactly that and 'volunteered' at 2 companies for 1 day a week at each over a year, which gave him fantastic experience and references, whilst he also worked part time for another two days, and spent the other day of the week gaining professional qualz, while he was 'building himself'), and even though he appeared behind a bit at first, he caught up and overtook pretty quickly in terms of level/salary etc. I think having a 3rd made him try harder and really graft to prove himself, whilst those with higher grades sat smugly thinking a job would just come to them because they had a high grade. After the first job, it's experience that counted, and he had heaps, gained from 3 workplaces (his part-time work - nothing grand, but developed general skills - plus his two volunteer experience roles.) HTH
    :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know an acquaintance with 2:2 (Just scrapped 50%) in Natural Sciences from Cambridge plus a Masters..

Though the 2:2 let him down and he started of working in a call centre in Birmingham and currently works in a back-office function for a stockbroker on about £18-19k..
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPodTunes)
    I know an acquaintance with 2:2 (Just scrapped 50%) in Natural Sciences from Cambridge plus a Masters..

Though the 2:2 let him down and he started of working in a call centre in Birmingham and currently works in a back-office function for a stockbroker on about £18-19k..
    You don't know an acquaintance. You either have an acquaintance or you know a person.

'The 2:2 let him down though' is a far more acceptable way of beginning your second sentence.

'Off' is spelt with two f's.

Why is Birmingham relevant to this tale?

- The Grammar Nazi
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    You don't know an acquaintance. You either have an acquaintance or you know a person.

'The 2:2 let him down though' is a far more acceptable way of beginning your second sentence.

'Off' is spelt with two f's.

Why is Birmingham relevant to this tale?

- The Grammar Nazi
    Apologies, time is off the essence and must be used efficiently even if that means making grammar mistakes haha..

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.