The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

English flag/ celebrating st Georges day is racist - WTF

There was a piece on St Georges day on the one show last night. They mentioned something about 25% of people considering either the flag or the day racist! :lolwut:

Just WTF, racism is discriminating against people from other races. I don't go over to other countries and demand they stop celebrating their national day and take down their flags because they're being racist. What kind of uneducated moronic people did the BBC survey?

It would be different if we celebrated it saying how much greater we are than everyone else but we don't, most people just use it as an excuse to get drunk, dress up in a dragon/kights costume and have a party, and thats the people that still remember when St Georges day is.

I haven't heard of an Englishman complaing at how racist the USA flag is or how racist their independance day is.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately in recent years it has become more and more a day that is celebrated by the far right and no-one else. Hence the opinion.
Reply 2
There's a word for people who think the day or the flag is racist- and they're called morons.
Reply 3
Precisely.

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/

Noun:

1.The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
2.Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

How is a flag or celebrating a saint day either of those?
Reply 4
Original post by Clare~Bear
There was a piece on St Georges day on the one show last night. They mentioned something about 25% of people considering either the flag or the day racist! :lolwut:

Just WTF, racism is discriminating against people from other races. I don't go over to other countries and demand they stop celebrating their national day and take down their flags because they're being racist. What kind of uneducated people did the BBC survey? Knowing them they only asked white high school drop out chavs.

It would be different if we celebrated it saying how much greater we are than everyone else but we don't, most people just use it as an excuse to get drunk, dress up in a dragon/kights costume and have a party, and thats the people that still remember when St Georges day is.

Why would "white high school drop out chavs" complain about thier own flag being racist? THAT would be moronic.

However, I do believe that complaining about a countries flag is absolutely ridiculous. The people that complain about that are probably the same people that live in our country, as British citizens, and complain about how much they hate the country ect ect.

FYI: I am not discriminating against ANYONE. But there ARE people living here for better work opportunities, benefits a 100 other reasons and complain about how **** the country is. It frustrates me.
Reply 5
Because they're the idiots most likely to say such a stoopid thing, although there were probably many other kinds of people interviewed. Of all the people I know, the only ones that complain how something like this is racist is teenage boys, most of them now drop outs or only going to sixth form for EMA.
i think the problem is racist people have used the flag as a symbol because their stupid :frown:
x
Reply 7
Ture pixie, people like the EDL wave it around, but that flag is of our country not the EDL.
It's a **** flag anyway...

:colone:
Reply 9
This comes up every St George's day... I've never heard anyone complain about it. I haven't even seen anyone complain on TV or radio, let alone in real life.

If someone told you some **** about a friend, I'd hope that you'd try to verify the elgitimacy of the claim before taking it as Gospel and getting all angry about it.

It seems someone is trying to stir some ****. Be intelligent and leave them to it.
Original post by Barden
It's a **** flag anyway...

:colone:

You're right - it's almost as bad as that abomination that you use as your TSR profile flag.
Reply 11
Steezy, I'm not randomly saying this, it was said on the one show last night, they wouldn't randomly say a figure if people hadn't have actually been surveyed. And even if they did, why would they make the british public seem so moronic?
It's not racist, but when you see images like this:

can you really blame some people for thinking it is?
I don't think the flag itself could be described by any reasonable person as being racist.

It certainly isn't racist prima facie; it's not as if it has any direct relation to racism.

However, it has been rather adopted by the likes of the EDL and they most certainly are a very racist organisation and this sort of association has led to a general pejoration of the Cross of St George in a way that hasn't quite taken place with the Union flag.

Personally, although I am English I do not celebrate the day of St George because I see no point, really.
Reply 14
Original post by lukas1051
It's not racist, but when you see images like this:

can you really blame some people for thinking it is?

Is that image that racist though, it's just a bunch of EDL memebrs waving a flag. They take part in racist behaviour, the flag doesn't. The flag is like a small child being dragged along with a parent, you wouldn't call the child racist just because they happened to be there. So if images like that do make morons think the flag is racist, they're even more of a moron than I thought.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Friar Chris
You're right - it's almost as bad as that abomination that you use as your TSR profile flag.

At least mine represents a political entity. England nowadays is defined by a lack of self-governance.

Of course you'll point out that this is what you base your political stance around when it comes to the lack of sovereignty you perceive the UK itself to suffer... but I'm just gonna say sucks to be you. :colondollar:
Reply 16
i wore a rose yesterday... is that racist ?

:borat:
Original post by Clare~Bear
Is that image that racist though, it's sjut a bunch of EDL memebrs waving a flag.

I'd say the vast majority of people in the UK (who aren't football hooligans) see the EDL as a racist organisation, and consequently any symbolism they use carries undertones of that.
Reply 18
Yet again, the flag might represent them, but it doesn't make the flag racist.

The greenpeace logo represents a group of people who're mainly vegetarian or even vegan who protect nature and animal rights. it doesn't make their logo a vegan animal rights protestor does it.
I hate the fact the English flag is the only flag IN THE WORLD that is racist to display. Thanks Liebour you anti British bigots

Latest

Trending

Trending