The Student Room Group

Clothes shrinking in the dryer

Just realized a lot of my clothes have shrunk in the dryer, when I put my arms out in front, the sleeves pull right up my arm, gutted :frown:

Is there any way to reverse the shrinkage?
Reply 1
Have you tried stretching them when wet?

I remember when I first started uni with a load of brand new clothes only to not realise that the dryer shrinks them (especially cotton t-shirts :angry:) Had to go out and buy brand new clothes all over again, didn't help my student budget:frown:
Reply 2
Not to any appreciable extent, no.

Many clothes have a do not tumble dry label, suggest you check for this next time.
Yeah, always check the washing instructions, I can't actually think of many of my clothes that do tumble-dry. It's something I constantly have to remind my bf about, he tumble-dried and shrunk a brand new, really nice cardi recently, I was so angry. I may have to start banning him from the washing machine and the tumble-drier.

The do not tumble dry symbol looks like this;
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I avoid the tumble dryer all together, and the radiator. Air drying clothes is the only safe way.
Reply 5
You can try stretching them whilst wet but they won't be the same as they were before :frown: Never tumble dry anything woollen. I put towels, bed sheets, jeans and cotton t-shirts in the tumble dryer and they're fine but if it looks delicate/ really stretchy/ woolly, hang it out or dry on a radiator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending