The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Commonwealth Shared Scholarship at the Uni of Bath - need clarification

Hello,

My boyfriend was selected by the Uni of Bath for the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme. He was asked to complete the EAS form by 17 May. We assumed that this is a formality and that he would soon hear about his selection officially.

But today the academic from Uni of Bath who interviewed and selected him wrote to him saying that she wanted to clarify that he has been selected for the scholarship, but he hasn't been granted it yet. She said that though his chances of getting the scholarship are high they aren't 100% because the final decision lies with DFID.

This has made us very worried - has anybody had any experience of going through this process? Are we right in assuming that this is just a formality? Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes eventually I got the scholarship at University of Bath. They confirmed my funding after a month. I also got the CSSS in two other Universities as well in the meantime- St Andrews and Goldsmiths, University of London.

I took up the scholarship at Goldsmiths as it was in London and I loved the course MA Development and Rights there. Don't worry, if you have been nominated you are going to get it. May be under extreme circumstances they dont give them.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
And yes this year I have got in M.Phil in Cambridge in Social Anthropology. Not lucky with the funding thing so waiting for July.
Reply 3
Hi Ezigbo,
I am in the same situation with the university of bath. I was interviewed and was nominated for the scholarship. I submitted the online application on EAS and I am tracking it. The application seems to be with the CSC since 30th april. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I am granted the scholarship as well. So it takes a month to get the results? And what is the process like going forward?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi Ezigbo,

First of all thank you for continuing this thread. I too am in the same situation with the University of Southampton and would like to know how this works. Does the CSC contact us after one month past the deadline? Thank you in advance. :smile:
Reply 5
Dear Sasha and SJCA( sorry dont know your name)

Many many congratulation for getting nominated. Hope that you get the confirmation letter very soon. Sometime they send it in June 1st week and sometime it can take upto mid July as well. Often it is the International Office of the University which will send you the final award letter. So you will have to be little patient. Though I know it's very hard to be so. My own experience. International Office will also guide you on CAS thing which will be required for you student Tier 4 Visa.

After that, CSC office will send you a medical form by email which you will have get signed by a Doctor and send them back. Next you will get the the main AWARD LETTER from CSC couriered to your registered address.
This Award Letter will be the main document to state your financial guarantee from CSC and thus need to be submitted with Visa application in place of Bank statements.

Plane tickets will be arranged by the International Office as well.
Reply 6
Dear Ezigbo,
Thanks so much for this detailed information. I really appreciate. I just hope that I get the award.

Would you happen to know what the CSC looks for in the application that determines the final award? Let me apologise in advance for all these questions. All this waiting for their decision is making me nervous
Reply 7
Original post by Sasha2012
Dear Ezigbo,
Thanks so much for this detailed information. I really appreciate. I just hope that I get the award.

Would you happen to know what the CSC looks for in the application that determines the final award? Let me apologise in advance for all these questions. All this waiting for their decision is making me nervous

Sasha. No apologies. I had gone through the same nervousness once so I can understand. And you can freely ask any questions related to it.

I think basically CSC just check that University has followed the criteria to nominate its students for the award and nothing else.
And ezigbo sounds weird. I am Adil.
Reply 8
Thanks so much Adil,
You have been so helpful. That calms me down abit. Will keep you posted :smile:

Thanks again!
Reply 9
Dear Adil,

Thank you very much for all the details. I appreciate it very much. I have been waiting impatiently for your reply. :smile: Thanks again. Now I know what to look forward for.

and Sasha, congratulations!

I kind of have a new problem now. I did TOEFL instead of IELTS. So now because of the latest development I will have a problem getting the CAS. I am even worried that sometimes the award may be uncertain because of this as English language requirement is an important eligibility criteria for the commonwealth shared scholarship. Anyway I am planning to sit for IELTS as soon as possible, but hope this will not affect my eligibility for the award as I took TOEFL way before they decided not to accept it.

And yes, please do call me Suren. :smile:
Reply 10
Hi Adil,

Sorry for bothering you again with questions.
Did you get the Medical forms from the University or did the CSC directly mail them to you?

Thank you.
Hi Adil,
I have just recieved the medical form from CSC but through the university. However, when sending them I have been instructed that the doctor should send the form directly to CSC
Reply 12
Do one thing what I did.

Fill up the medical form with your doctor. And put it into an envelope and get it signed by him/her and seal with a sellotape. And then post it directly to CSC. I got the forms from University but had to send it to CSC.
Best
Adil

P.S- A good news on my part. Got full scholarship from Merton College to do my PhD at Oxford.
Reply 13
Congratulations Adil!!! That's great news :smile:

I just received the email with the guidelines and medical form from my University. The international scholarship and funding officer was not in office for the past week so I got the documents only today.
Hi Adil,
Congratulations on your scholarship! Way to go :smile:

Hey how long did it take for you to get the award letter from CSC after sending the medical forms?
Reply 15
Two weeks Sasha
I have keenly been following this thread. A hearty congratulations to you! And thank you so much Adil for the much valued information. I am also awaiting and hoping for the csc award letter. I sent my medical forms on the 16th of June. THe wait can be quite nerve-racking. And amidst great fears that the csc may decide to reject you. However I am glad and grateful for having gotten this far.. I wish us all well :-)
Reply 17
Hi WildOrchid( sorry dont know your name)

Many thanks for your wishes. Congrats to you as well and you have all the reasons to be happy.
I managed to guide to two of my friends this year and both of them got the CSC( one at Goldsmiths other at LSBU). One sent her medical forms on 16th as well but have not received the award letter yet. And yes they are in same fears as well on the confirmation by CSC. But I believe these are unnecessary fears as it will happen eventually but just it may take some more time. May be till July end.

Hope you all get lucky and get things done pretty soon. Keep in touch.
Adil
Original post by ezigbo
Hi WildOrchid( sorry dont know your name)

Many thanks for your wishes. Congrats to you as well and you have all the reasons to be happy.
I managed to guide to two of my friends this year and both of them got the CSC( one at Goldsmiths other at LSBU). One sent her medical forms on 16th as well but have not received the award letter yet. And yes they are in same fears as well on the confirmation by CSC. But I believe these are unnecessary fears as it will happen eventually but just it may take some more time. May be till July end.

Hope you all get lucky and get things done pretty soon. Keep in touch.
Adil

Thank you so much Adil!! I'm quite relieved to hear that someone else who sent hers at same time as I did hasn't received her award letter as well.

My school rep told me to inform him if by the 11th of July I haven't received it yet, then he'll follow it up. Thank you so much for the help and reassurance.

I hope to get to pHD too :-)
Reply 19
Good good. You have got in which university and you are from which country?

Quick Reply

Latest