The Student Room Group

Dinner or tea?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Tea - S Wales
m
becc7276407
where is your place for midlanders?!
haha, i say tea. :smile: this kind of conversation came up in my english class, and tea is apparently from working class roots, whereas middle/upper class people tend to say dinner? it's kind of blurred nowadays though.

Apologies to all the midlanders! Haha
Reply 82
Don't really care, just give me my damn food!

In all seriousness: I call it tea, from the Midlands though!
Original post by GiveMeAChallenge
What do you call your evening meal?
Are you a northerner or a southerner?
:biggrin:

Tea
Northerner :cool:

DEBATE AWAYYYYYYY......

First meal of day, Primarily before 10/11= Breakfast.
If after 11 and consists of a larger meal= Brunch.
After 12, having had a 'breakfast'= Lunch
Between 3-4 it is customary to sometimes have a hot beverage and cake/biscuits= Tea
Evening main meal= Dinner however this is also sometimes termed 'Supper'

Well thats how I define them.
Reply 84
Neither, supper.
Reply 85
I used to call it tea (only because my parents did) and called lunch dinner. But when i moved out and into a student house (from the north to the south), i realised how much more sense it made to call them lunch and dinner, then you don't get confused with drinking tea, which i am a big fan of :tongue:
Reply 86
To all Midlanders: If you're north of the Watford gap you're a NORTHENER and if you're south of the Watford gap you're a SOUTHERNER. Stop sitting on the fence and take sides, polarise dammnit!

Dinner.

So we could have

Breakfast-lunch-dinner
Breakfast-lunch-tea
Breakfast-lunch-tea-dinner
Breakfast-dinner-dinner
Breakfast-brunch-lunch-dinner
Breakfast-brunch-lunch-tea
Breakfast-brunch-lunch-tea-dinner
Breakfast-brunch-dinner-dinner (Any gay builders around?)

Christ, this could get complicated.....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
You can't have breakfast and brunch. It can only begin with "br" if its the first meal of the day.

I normally say tea, unless I'm going out. You never say "darling, I'm taking you out for tea tonight".

I actually think I'm saying dinner more and more and tea less and less since I moved down south. I think southern might be contagious.

No-one has said supper since the 1950s.
When someone says "tea" i think of actual afternoon tea with scones, clotted cream and little finger food ...yum!

I've always said dinner.
Reply 89
Breakfast, Lunch (it's called a lunchbox for a reason) and Tea
Reply 90
i was born in the north and raised in most aspects like a northerner and yet spend most of my live down south ... but i was brought up breakfast dinner and tea
i remember at school up north we had dinner time as out midday break and eating period
and down here in the south we had lunch time as our midday break and eating period and they had breakfast, lunch and dinner (as a rule)
but southerners place r's after the a in any work with and a init except b*stard so it sort of proves northerners correct
also one illogical way of thinking about is that if we are anglo saxons and the saxons invaded from the north and colonised and the anglo means angel and angels are from the north then northerners are descendants of original english men and angels hence "anglo saxon" so it is biblical that northerners will always be correct :P
I call it tea at home with my family (they live in the south), but dinner with everyone else.
Dinner; I'm a southerner.

Tea is either a drink, or afternoon tea, where your gran serves tea, biscuits, cake and dainty sandwiches to the extended family in the best room in the house, and you all make polite conversation.
Reply 93
Pfft!

Supper please. :tongue:

<3 x
Original post by nickss
Dinner, Southerner :biggrin:

Tea is for when you drink tea

I was eating my tea earlier and I thought to myself "this milk must be seriously out of date".
Reply 95
Pretty interchangable really, depends who I'm talking to.

Dinner probably more often than tea though. I like how you didn't factor in evening meal or supper, some people do use these as well.
I've occasinally used supper, evening meal is a bit of a mouthful though (buddum tshhh)
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest