The Student Room Group

"Oh, I only dress up for myself" - really?

Scroll to see replies

I dress up to feel confident around other people :smile: Honestly.
i dont dress up to stay in the same as id dress up to go out at night because lets be honest a dress isnt the most comfortable thing to curl up on the sofa in... i do however have some bloody gorgeous pjs that i most definately do not mind opening the door in...
BUT... day time - i have my favourite clothes, and i will wear these clothes often no matter what im doing, if im not going anywhere who cares i love them they make me happy :biggrin:

ill wear heels at home if i want to :biggrin: my nails are always done... my hair always looks half acceptable.. it doesnt very often look much better than that if i go out :frown: i have horrid hair!...
x
Reply 22
Girls dress for girls, not guys.
Original post by apostrophe87
Nearly all girls seem to say "oh I don't dress up for guys, I only dress up for myself". But then how come you only dress up when you are meeting people and not when you are planning on spending the whole night alone in your apartment?

I imagine a girl who only dress up for herself would put on make-up, a tight dress, do her hair and nails and all that, and then just slack alone in her sofa wathing TV.

Why would you bother dressing up and applying make up if you are going to sit on your sofa alone. I think you are missing the point entirely, women who say they only dress up for themselves mean they don't dress up cos they want to impress the guys when they go out but they want to feel beautiful and confident in themselves when they go out, there is no need to feel beautiful and confident if you are sat at home on the sofa alone.
Reply 24
I dress up whatever i happen to be doing, because I feel ill quite a lot of the time, due to a condition, and if i look as amazing as i possibly can, then whenever i walk past a window, mirror, whatever I can forget how awful and ill Im feeling as i catch a glimpse of myself looking great.
Original post by Profesh
What a soul-crushingly fair and impartial response.

Original post by + polarity -
Just fantastic.

:colondollar:

Original post by hippieglitter
Why would you bother dressing up and applying make up if you are going to sit on your sofa alone. I think you are missing the point entirely, women who say they only dress up for themselves mean they don't dress up cos they want to impress the guys when they go out but they want to feel beautiful and confident in themselves when they go out, there is no need to feel beautiful and confident if you are sat at home on the sofa alone.

:confused:

Why is there no need to feel beautiful and confident in yourself if you're sat home on the sofa alone?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by takethyfacehence
It doesn't make complete sense, you're right. I think it's just a poor way of describing that it's a bit more general than people sometimes assume - but also something that some girls don't really realise they are doing. Take a girl who dresses up the nines to go clubbing - "for herself" - she wants to look hot enough to bang, but that doesn't mean she wants to bang anyone particularly. But no one wants to be rejected, even if they're not looking for anything - it would bother a lot of girls if she walked past a bunch of sex-hungry men (not saying all men are like that, you know the type I mean at clubs) and they didn't bat an eyelid. It doesn't mean she's a power-hungry, egotistical bitch who wants to tempt men and then let them down. She just wants confirmation she's attractive to the general public, so when she does meet someone she likes, when she is in the mood for something, she feels confident from general approval that she has a chance.

Unbelievable tekkers.

One of the best arguments I've seen on this site.
Well done.
Reply 27
The main reason I dress up is because I love seeing other people who dress up, it inspires me. So I aspire to be like that. However, I am also a terrible person who enjoys male attention and also has a compulsive need to look better than as many fellow females as possible. Sue me.

When I'm staying in alone, I look like total ****. Sweatpants, no makeup, messy hair. Not even in a sexy, natural way, just a trampy I-don't-wash kind of way. The only people who ever see me looking like that are my parents, I won't even answer the door I look that ****.
I don't understand this either.

The only reason to value yourself on the basis of your external appearance is if you value yourself by reference to how people whose opinions you care about value your appearance.

Once you're away from your bedroom mirror, you're the last person who's going to appreciate the fruits of your efforts.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hippieglitter

I think you're missing the point entirely. Unless you spend your nights out dancing at mirrors, how good or bad you look is only relevant to you insofar as it affects other people's opinions of you. There is no need to feel beautiful and confident when you're sat at home alone because there is nobody there to appreciate it.
It might not neccessarly me for males but if you dress up you dress up because you want to look good to other people. The only reason you would dress up for yourself is so you look nice in the mirror when you go to the toliet but there are already loads of nice looking women for you to look at so one more in a mirror isn't going to make any difference. If you do it because it makes you more confident then it makes you more confident because you think other people think you look nice.
We dress up because we want to look as nice as possible. Does it really have to be more complicated than that? Guys make an effort with their appearance to an extent, too.
Well a reason I like to try and make myself look good, even if I'm not going anywhere is because I feel like it's part of my daily schedule, if I don't do it I feel like I'm not in gear to continue with other things. I also, of course, want to feel good about myself and if all that takes is a little make-up and 10 minutes on my hair then I don't have an issue with it. That being said I will have my totally lazy days when I won't do anything or if I'm ill or plan to go cycling, or even just wanting to give my skin a rest. Of course us ladies want to look attractive to our male counterparts, you never know when a guy will come along who you totally click with and want to look presentable for. To sum up what I've said - there are a number of reasons girls will wear make-up and it's not just to look attractive to men.

Clothes wise, I always try and look presentable although I basically live in jeans and band t-shirts. I try not to stay in my pj's all day because I always feel like I could be doing something and getting dressed is a motivation and gets ya out of the tired mind set. However I wouldn't strut around the house in a dress or skirt or anything.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TurboCretin
I think you're missing the point entirely. Unless you spend your nights out dancing at mirrors, how good or bad you look is only relevant to you insofar as it affects other people's opinions of you. There is no need to feel beautiful and confident when you're sat at home alone because there is nobody there to appreciate it.

Is it all about nights out though? People dress up on all sorts of occasions I put make-up on and dress smartly to go to an interview but I'm not doing it cos I want the interviewer to fancy me I do it cos it makes me feel confident and a little bit of confidence just might help me get a job.
Reply 34
Why shouldn't you dress up for yourself? Whenever I'm at home I like to look presentable; wear nice clothes, do my hair and make up. It makes you feel more confident in your self and gives you a good feeling about yourself. Just because you're at home and no one will see you doesn't mean you should dress like a slob. I mean if you do want to wear comfy clothes then that's fine but thinking women don't want to look good just for themselves is quite silly. For me it comes down to why do things for other people and worry about what they'll think of you? Why should I look good solely when I go out? What's wrong with looking good whilst at home.
But looking good is subjective, reliant on what others think of you.

You feel confident because you feel attractive.
Reply 36
i actually do sometimes put on a nice dress and make-up when i'm spending the evening at home, it makes me smile!

but i don't say i just dress up for myself. i don't always dress up when i go out but if i do it's because i like my friends or my boyfriend to think i look nice. and i think it's good because it shows i've made an effort for them.

it makes the event seem more special when i dress up for it. and it's kind of exciting thinking about what everyone else will wear, experimenting with new styles and make-up... i think i enjoy the getting ready more than the actual event!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by apostrophe87

I imagine a girl who only dress up for herself would put on make-up, a tight dress, do her hair and nails and all that, and then just slack alone in her sofa wathing TV.

I'm sure some girls do that. I sometimes like to put on a waistcoat, suit, and fedora to sit around playing computer games in; I suppose there's a female version of me somewhere in the world dressing up for similar activities.

Also, when I dress up in a nice dress and make-up I almost always stay locked up in my room.
Reply 38
Original post by stac4321
Women dress up for themselves, because the attention they get from women and men alike makes them feel confident. It's not about ... trying to flaunt your assests or show off or anything like that. You want to look nice enough that people think your hot and want to go home with you. Doesn't mean your going home with them.

So it's about getting attention and making people think you're hot and want to go home with you.... but it's NOT about flaunting your assets or showing off?

I don't understand. Sounds like all the same thing, to me. Not that any of that is a bad thing, which some girls seem to think.
Reply 39
Original post by Barden
But looking good is subjective, reliant on what others think of you.

You feel confident because you feel attractive.

forget it, dude - that extra step of reasoning is one too far for most people to grasp. They don't know why they do what they do and have no wish to look any deeper.

Quick Reply