The Student Room Group

Torn between Psychology & Law?

Hey,

I was hoping for some advice - basically I have two possible uni courses I'm considering applying to, Law & Psychology, and I am completely torn as to which one I'd prefer to study!

I'm studying French, Biology, English Literature and Dance (dropping at AS).
My AS predictions are AAAA and if I achieve those my A2 predictions should be A*AA.

I know I haven't studied A level Psychology, will this put me at a huge disadvantage if I did decide to apply for it? I'm so passionate and fascinated by it, but I haven't got any pre-knowledge so I don't know if that would be a complete no-go :frown:

I have always just presumed I'd apply for Law, but now it's coming closer to applying I'm not sure if it is actually what I want to do. My family are moving to Australia when I finish Uni, and I will be joining them, so my Law degree from the UK would be pretty much useless over there and I'd have to convert it to fit Australian Law.

Apologies for the essay haha, I was just wondering how is Psychology as a degree & if anyone has been offered/studies it without having done A level Psychology?

Thank you!
I'm also torn between Law and Psychology :s-smilie:
I don't study Psychology, but I definitely think you're not disadvantaged if you don't have it to A-level. I only know specifics about Oxford, but they say it's 'highly recommended' to study one or more science/mathematics subjects, but not necessarily Psychology (some college websites even say they accept applicants with all humanities A-levels). So, I think with Bilogy you're fine. :smile: (You should check the websites of other unis though!)
Good luck!
Original post by soph-a-loaf
Hey,

I was hoping for some advice - basically I have two possible uni courses I'm considering applying to, Law & Psychology, and I am completely torn as to which one I'd prefer to study!

I'm studying French, Biology, English Literature and Dance (dropping at AS).
My AS predictions are AAAA and if I achieve those my A2 predictions should be A*AA.

I know I haven't studied A level Psychology, will this put me at a huge disadvantage if I did decide to apply for it? I'm so passionate and fascinated by it, but I haven't got any pre-knowledge so I don't know if that would be a complete no-go :frown:

I have always just presumed I'd apply for Law, but now it's coming closer to applying I'm not sure if it is actually what I want to do. My family are moving to Australia when I finish Uni, and I will be joining them, so my Law degree from the UK would be pretty much useless over there and I'd have to convert it to fit Australian Law.

Apologies for the essay haha, I was just wondering how is Psychology as a degree & if anyone has been offered/studies it without having done A level Psychology?

Thank you!

If the entrance requirements do not need it and you have a passion for it, go for physcology. You can do law and australian law at Kings you know?
I've never seen an entry profile for psychology that requires psychology at a-level (apparently it's really different at degree level which is why it's not a requirement at a-level, but don't take my word on it!). If they ask for anything, they'll ask for a science or social science, so you're fine for that.
I definitely think you need to do more research on psychology courses. I don't know about degree level, but at a-level you learn a lot of experiments and evaluation of research, which I don't particularly enjoy.
You should research whether you can use a UK law degree in Australia, as this might sway the decision for you.
One thing about some unis is that they would like you to have two science A Levels and/or GCSE Maths at a specific grade (B or A). Just cos your family are moving, doesn't mean you would have to. You might find that a psychology degree from a UK uni won't allow you to train to be a psychologist in Australia as well, so you might be in the same position as with law. Both subjects offer conversion courses after graduating from a different course (altho check the requirements for these too), so that's always a possibility, if you feel like you end up choosing the wrong one
Reply 6
I would go with law, but unless you get really in the end it will be hard to find many doors open for you, as these areas are extremely populated. Have you thought about criminology?

Quick Reply

Latest