Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Religion is rubbish

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christianlady)
    Hello Hitlerscopes,

Hitler's dead. While I understand that there are many people who pray for dead people and they have reasons as to why, I don't really understand how praying for someone who no longer is living on earth helps them. I think the time to pray for someone is when they are still living... that's just my personal belief though. I personally don't see evidence in the Bible concerning the command or reason for praying to or for dead people.

Peace and God bless you
    why are you so devoted to basically a book not even written at the time, with no supporting evidence? indeed a book filled with statements that have been disproven by science, religion is now pointless, we have science and facts why do people still insist on clinging to this charade? is it because you dont trust yourself to behave morally and well without the prospect of a vengeful god? or is it just because you cant cope with the thought of independence?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me any physical, empirical or logical evidence why heaven and hell would exist?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christianlady)
    Hello Hitlerscopes,

Hitler's dead. While I understand that there are many people who pray for dead people and they have reasons as to why, I don't really understand how praying for someone who no longer is living on earth helps them. I think the time to pray for someone is when they are still living... that's just my personal belief though. I personally don't see evidence in the Bible concerning the command or reason for praying to or for dead people.

Peace and God bless you
    Shut up. holla me asap 07706859007
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Sophie-x)
    Surely if you believe there may be a heaven, you are agnostic?

Or am I over thinking things?
    thats not what agnostic is...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    What? There's religion and then there is Jesus? Like saying there is mythology and then there is Mithras. Same thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    religion is religion, whether it is organized or not. these videos merely reduce the belief systems to their most basic concepts and then state "therefore not religion."
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol what happened to the TS
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    thats not what agnostic is...
    Care to correct me on that?

I always thought it was when a person isn't sure whether God exists. Or am I wrong? :L
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Sophie-x)
    Care to correct me on that?

I always thought it was when a person isn't sure whether God exists. Or am I wrong? :L
    agnostic concerns the evidence of gods existence not being unsure of gods existence..
    to be agnostic you believe it is not possible to obtain evidence that proves nor disproves gods existence...
    to be gnostic is the opposite

you can believe that god doesnt exist while also believing that such evidence to disprove cant be obtained i.e. agnostic atheist
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    agnostic concerns the evidence of gods existence not being unsure of gods existence..
    to be agnostic you believe it is not possible to obtain evidence that proves nor disproves gods existence...
    to be gnostic is the opposite

you can believe that god doesnt exist while also believing that such evidence to disprove cant be obtained i.e. agnostic atheist
    Oh I understand now. Thanks.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I thought that this was a response to the "Atheists suck" thread, but now I'm sad because I don't think it is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golding)

Relatively old vid I know, but please bear with me.

How many of you out there are trying your hardest to get to Heaven?

Do you think you can get there through good works?

If so, why?
    Excellent video. It may be old, but this is the first time I've seen it, and it is entirely true. The other day I was watching the movie "The Revolutionary", which is about Jesus' time here on this earth. There was one part where Jesus was getting on the pharisees, and something that was said really caught my ears, and even reminded me of the dark ages of the Church. The Scripture for it came from Matthew 23 verse 15 which states...

“Woe to you, scribes and pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves."

This is what religion does, makes our works the primary focus. Be good, and you go to Heaven. Yet, does that not kind of, eliminates the whole purpose of Jesus? Besides, if all there was is good works and bad works, what's the purpose of God telling us anything? As many non-believers state so eloquently, "Everybody can do good things. We don't need God's laws or standards in order to be good!" This is why miracles hardly ever happen today, God is not going to approve a different gospel saying our effort is the key to entering eternal life. (I can definitely see now why Jesus said few would find life, and enter by the narrow path)

Christianity is not about showing our love for God. It's about showing God's love for us. As the Bible states that this is love, not that we love God, but that He loved us, sending His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. So ultimately, our duty as believers, is to simply let God love the people through us. We are saved, our home is our Father's kingdom right now. God didn't leave us here to earn something we already have. He left us here to tell more people about the good news, so He can do for them what He's done for us. That is it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agenda Suicide)
    I think any decent member of society could get into heaven if it exists.

I am atheist, but I live my life through good works, helping others and making positive contributions. I'm sure there are many like me, inevitably bound for heaven if it exists.

If God did exist and accepted a person who has been a total social and communal jackass but believed in him over me, I don't think I'd want to go to heaven.
    Different religions have different definitions of sin/evil so you're gong to have to be more specific as to what religions God you're talking about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It can be proven using simple reasoning/logic that God (as described in the major religions) cannot exist. This is because of the internal contradictions of Gods 'character' in the religions.
    If people are interested I can go into it...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.