The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Going to SOAS in 2012? Get to know!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by laridum
Yeah, this forum is really quiet this year! Even the Facebook groups/pages are quiet. :frown:

Anyway, I'm Diane. I'm from Scotland and I'll be studying Korean. :smile:

Hi Diane! Undergrad as well? I'm Charlie (It's actually Therese, but no one pronounce that properly in English so my mates usually stick to Theresa or Charlie) from Sweden, studying Arabic as previously stated :smile:
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 21
Original post by FatCharlie
Hi Diane! Undergrad as well? I'm Charlie (It's actually Therese, but no one pronounce that properly in English so my mates usually stick to Theresa or Charlie) from Sweden, studying Arabic as previously stated :smile:

Yeah, undergrad. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by laridum
Yeah, undergrad. :smile:

Well nice to meet you!

---

If anyone feel like they wanna get to know some people before we start, you can PM me for my FB if you're interested, even if the groups are not too busy, at least we can get to know each other!
Hey, I'll be starting at SOAS this fall as well, doing Politics and Persian :smile:
I'm a second year transfer though :redface:

I was a bit worried as well, seeing how much all those applicants from other schools have dozens of threads on here :wink:

Anyway, nice to "meet" you! :smile:
Original post by hopefulstudent
Hey, I'll be starting at SOAS this fall as well, doing Politics and Persian :smile:
I'm a second year transfer though :redface:

I was a bit worried as well, seeing how much all those applicants from other schools have dozens of threads on here :wink:

Anyway, nice to "meet" you! :smile:

Yeah bigger universities have so many threads and groups it's depressing! Well there's a small group of us on Facebook dedicated to having an amazing SOAS-ian freshers in London. Because so many international students go to soas it's hard to really get to know each other, but Facebook is a great tool! My facebook is http://www.facebook.com/richardpatrickmcdonald - anyone going to soas just add me!
Reply 25
Original post by RichardJapanese
Yeah bigger universities have so many threads and groups it's depressing! Well there's a small group of us on Facebook dedicated to having an amazing SOAS-ian freshers in London. Because so many international students go to soas it's hard to really get to know each other, but Facebook is a great tool! My facebook is http://www.facebook.com/richardpatrickmcdonald - anyone going to soas just add me!

Just added you. Facebook may indeed be our only hope to prove that (prospective) SOAS students aren't that antisocial :smile:

Mine's http://www.facebook.com/bianca.cebuc - hope to get in touch with more future/hopeful SOAS-ians.
Hey!

I'm a BA Japanese hopeful, just need to get these damn grades ahaha >.>

If you fancy a chat drop me a PM ^.^
Reply 27
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this place but I've been looking around to see if there is any threads or forums about people going to SOAS so I was very happy to find this.

I'll be studying my master this autumn in Anthropology of Food, anyone else doing the same? :smile:
Will hopefully be studying Chinese Studies at SOAS.. If I get the AAB :tongue: I'd love to have opportunities to study Korean and Japanese though! I love Asian languages.
Reply 29
Gonna be at SOAS from September doing Japanese Studies (yeah, yeah, I know). I'm from Swindon (yaaaay!) and I'm also 26, so a 'mature' student so I'm old as ****. Although I hear SOAS has quite a high proportion of mature students and I'll actually be round the younger end of the scale - anyone know if this is true?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 30
Hey, first time poster, long time browser.

I'll be going to SOAS to do Ba Japanese in September so can't wait for it!

Tenfield, I'm 24 and considered a mature student, will turn 25 the month after starting. So you won't be on your own on the younger end of the scale so to speak. ^^
Reply 31
Original post by Tenfield
Gonna be at SOAS from September doing Japanese Studies (yeah, yeah, I know). I'm from Swindon (yaaaay!) and I'm also 26, so a 'mature' student so I'm old as ****. Although I hear SOAS has quite a high proportion of mature students and I'll actually be round the younger end of the scale - anyone know if this is true?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Mate, I'm going at 20 and I feel old, so don't worry about it! But yeah, apparently a third of undergrads are over 21 when beginning their course.
Reply 32
Let's hope! :biggrin:
I am indeed, even if I'm probably a bit older than most. I've been working for the last couple of years until I decided that I wanted to go back to school to get my degree :smile:

I've taken a couple of years out, too! How old will you be in September?
Reply 33
Original post by Sva
I've taken a couple of years out, too! How old will you be in September?

I will be 24! I know about the high amount of 'mature students' at SOAS, but since they count everyone from the age of, what is it? 20-21, as mature students they are still younger than me hahaha
Reply 34
21 year old starting a BA in Japanese Studies in September. Can't wait :biggrin:.
I feel really young - I turn 18 in August xD!
Reply 36
I will be 24! I know about the high amount of 'mature students' at SOAS, but since they count everyone from the age of, what is it? 20-21, as mature students they are still younger than me hahaha

Haha, I only turned 20 this week, so I see what you mean ^^"
Reply 37
Hey Everyone, first time post here.

Mature student, and very excited to be started at SOAS come September. Curious if anyone else is starting the BSc in International Business (Middle East and North Africa) ?

I live in London and have graduated SOAS/LSE friends so if anyone wants a tour around etc. I am happy to help.

Also looking to secure some accommodation around Camden Town area. Looking at around 120 - 150 per week, if anyone is interested for a house share please let me know :smile:

Hope to see you all in September :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by kyesan
Hey Everyone, first time post here.

Mature student, and very excited to be started at SOAS come September. Curious if anyone else is starting the BSc in International Business (Middle East and North Africa) ?

I live in London and have graduated SOAS/LSE friends so if anyone wants a tour around etc. I am happy to help.

Also looking to secure some accommodation around Camden Town area. Looking at around 120 - 150 per week, if anyone is interested for a house share please let me know :smile:

Hope to see you all in September :smile:

If you haven't joined it already, check out http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154188938045618/

It's an "official" SOAS accommodation group :smile: Perhaps you can find something there.
Reply 39
If you haven't joined it already, check out http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154188938045618/

It's an "official" SOAS accommodation group :smile: Perhaps you can find something there.

Awesome thank you Charlie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest