The Student Room Group

GCSE Grades for Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dalek1099
... at GCSE and 3As at A-Level to get in medicine at most places even Oxbridge...

Except Oxbridge offers are A*AA. I'm starting to wonder if you post incorrect information deliberately. Is this how you get your kicks?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Are those your predictions? ... theyre pretty good! I got predicted something like 1A*, 3As, lots of Bs and a C at GCSE. Ended up getting 6A*s, rest As. Like you, I too didn't try very hard. I wont say i didnt revise at all - I did, I just hadnt decided I was applying for medicine and frankly i was too young/immature to really care as much about my education as i do now. Fortunately, I nailed my alevels, ukcat etc.

Basically, don't fret about your GCSEs. There are unis where you need about 9A*s as a minimum requirement (B'ham) and others where its much lower like 5Cs (or possibly Bs in eng/maths/sci). One step at a time, just try your best on these exams, if you screw up its not the end of the world. Loads of kids dont know what they want at 14-16.

Secondly, there is no such thing as "less prestigious" medical school. When it comes to medicine Oxford = Keele = Nottingham = Edinburgh = Bristol etc. in terms of "prestige" ... they all produce Doctors with the same employment prospects. Rather than prestige you look at other factors when applying but lets not go there yet, for now focus on these upcoming exams then you can come back on here to ask for your next step :tongue:

Good luck.
Original post by nexttime
Except Oxbridge offers are A*AA. I'm starting to wonder if you post incorrect information deliberately. Is this how you get your kicks?

I said you could get i onto Oxbridge if you were lucky and a slight mistake and you think that I post incorrect information deliberately:confused:
Original post by JenMed
Hi, just wanted to let you know that GCSEs levels are really not everything, some universities hardly even look at them. I had 3 out of 4 offers this year and my GCSE grades were 2 A*, 5 A, 5 Bs, so lower than yours! But I worked really hard in my A levels and have done 6 months of volunteering and work experience in hospitals, so don't give up you still have a good chance of becoming a doctor!

What universities did u apply to for medicine
Original post by Lauren975
Dont worry about it! Your predicted GCSE's look fine. I got 8A's and 2 B's in maths and physics and I managed to get 3/4 offers - just apply smart! You've still got a while to really go all out and get that last minute revision in - put in a lot of effort to get those B's to A's especially in english lang because some universities can be a bit funny about the 'core subjects' i.e. english lang, maths and sciences x

What universities did u apply too
Hey guys,

I got 6A*s and 4As in my GCSEs and 4As in my AS levels. Which unis CAN'T I apply to?
Original post by JenMed
Hi, just wanted to let you know that GCSEs levels are really not everything, some universities hardly even look at them. I had 3 out of 4 offers this year and my GCSE grades were 2 A*, 5 A, 5 Bs, so lower than yours! But I worked really hard in my A levels and have done 6 months of volunteering and work experience in hospitals, so don't give up you still have a good chance of becoming a doctor!

hi im really bad at revising but always manage to get A's and A*'s but when its near exam time I panic and just leave revision literally the day before (not joking) and tbh I'd get most of my revision in the morning but this year I know gcses are no joke and I really want to be a plastic surgeon but to not waste time I wanna get minimum 8 A's even though in most sixth forms they accept 6 and g straight to medical school. but I realy really want to know where you a generally bright or gifted person or did you work hard but the important MOST important question is WHEN did you start revising I really need to know I just cant revise but at least if I know when you started then I guess that would be helpful :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending