The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Is there a rivalery between Lancaster Uni & Cumbria Uni (Lanc campus)?

I will be starting at the Uni of Cumbria (Lancaster campus) in September.

Does everyone hang out on nights out and stuff or do the two Uni groups keep seperate? Does everyone shop at the same supermarkets or does one go Sainsburys and one go Morrisons (for example). Do our women go with Lancaster Uni guys, and vice versa?

TIA.
Reply 1
Heya,

From what I've seen it's more a jokey-rivalry between the two unis instead of anything major. I've known a couple of UCUM people to come out with Lancaster Uni people, but because Lancaster is a large campus university most people tend to go out with groups of friends they've met here. I've never gone out and ran into someone from UCUM, but there are no designated UCUM/Lancs only clubs if that's what you're thinking. :smile: Hope that helped.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Mostly we keep separate. There is/was a UCUM night in sugar on wednesdays but I think that's stopping. Elements has quite a lot of UCUM students in on the weekend, and a fair few Lancaster students too.
Reply 3
ive only ever knowingly bumped into one group of UCUM students on a night out. im sure there are plenty of nice people there, ive just never really had the opportunity to meet anyone. there is a small rivalry, but i would say its more of UCUM calling Lancs posh and Lancs calling UCUM rubbish. but always in a jokey way.... ive never heard of any fights or anything like that!
Reply 4
Any Lancaster girl who ends up with a UCUM guy.... well... lets just say they have the absolute piss taken out of them :smile:
Dear OP,

This isn't Saved By The Bell.

Best
sevendaughters
As suggested by the other posters, any rivalry is of a humourous nature. I've never heard of any incidents or fights between students at the two universities. To be honest, I only met a couple of UCum students and that was through my job in Morecambe - we were friends and obviously which university we were at didn't really matter. :smile:
Reply 7
I think the main sports rivalry is with (very understandably) York: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roses_Tournament
Reply 8
I am a Lancs graduate now working for UCUM. There is very little contact between the two unis and relations are OK. There are links because lots of Lancaster Uni students go on to do their PGCE at UCUM. They keep friends at Lancs and go back quite a lot, but that's about it.
The two unis are poles apart in terms of the type of people who go there.
Reply 9
Original post by Lizj

The two unis are poles apart in terms of the type of people who go there.

In what sense?

Which are better?
Reply 10
Original post by Dessie
In what sense?

Which are better?

"Better" is not a good word to use! Better at what?

Lancs has much higher entry requirements, therefore the students tend to be more academic and high achievers. There are far more privately educated students, although this doesn't really matter to most people, it's not at all snobby.

There are a lot more international students and post grads at Lancs. Also people come from further away in the UK. There is a lot of hard work goes on, with partying too. Most of the social life is on campus, societies are popular.

UCUM students are mainly on vocational courses, their best courses are teaching, healthcare and nursing. There are lots of part-time students, local people who commute in and most people are on placements for most of the year. Oh, and a lot more females than males. Campus can be quite quiet during the day. As they are nearer town, there is a lot more going out and there is less to do on campus - there are next to no societies, bars etc.

On the whole I think UCUM gives less of the "uni" experience, it feels more like an extension of 6th form.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Lizj speaks the truth. I would never want to go to UCUM, let alone me someone from there :smile:
I couldn't comment on this case, but I really think nomatter where you go there are "rivalries" (for lack of a better word) between unis. In London there's LSE / UCL / Kings, then there's Newcastle and Sunderland, Edinburgh and St Andrews and so on.

In Northern Ireland we have a similar situation - Queen's University is generally more academic whereas Ulster tends to be vocational, and the 'posh vs rubbish' jibes can be seen here too. At the end of the day though I rarely hear stories of any real aggression between the two, and (due to distance mainly) the groups stay separated for the mostpart on nights out and so on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending