Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need a sport. Give yours a plug...

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK, this may not be seen as your first choice of Cardiovascular Sport (because it's a martial art), but Kendo is always an option. I've been doing it for about 3 months now, and I personally enjoy it.

You gain exercise from fighting your opponent with shinai (bamboo swords), and the feeling you get when you land an attack right on target.

If you want to see a video of Kendo in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2TNO5CGXQ

It is actually quite exciting to watch and to participate in.
    Oh, and if you're in the North London area, try and attend Wakaba Kendo Club. They are the most useful at training beginners.

Cheers =]
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Table Tennis is actually more exercise than people let on.

Then there's rock climbing...!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Octopush (underwater hockey)?
    Is this a real thing? can you tell me more?

(Original post by babachew)
    I play shinty, only I'm not sure how widely it's played outside Scotland...
    I think its just us that have Shinty but the Irish have Hurling which is basically the same I think as I know there are Scots vs Irish.Shinty /Hurling games.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinberry)
    Is this a real thing? can you tell me more?
    http://www.gbuwh.co.uk/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've already suggested a support, but read Icanhenry's post. Any type of martial art is pretty good for bonding, it's pretty social and people have a lot of fun. So that's a good option.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What about swimming??You excersise your whole body..literlay!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheerleading!

Physically demanding, really good fun and if you get on the right squad then you'll make life long friends. It's a team sport but individual performances make the difference between getting 5th place and 1st place in competition!

Fitness wise, it's aerobic/cardio with dances and jumps, and strength training with the gymnastics/throwing people around element. If you're small enough or have done gymnastics/trampolining/lots of core strength fitness in the past you may even be a flyer which is all about stretching your muscles and being as tight as possible - harder than it looks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Dodgeball.

There's nothing better than quoting the movie either. Endless banter about throwing wrenches. Until someone actually brings one...

Played competitively across the UK. Even played internationally.

Novelty of playing a quirky choice of sport!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Trampolining: it's a high impact, high effort sport so you burn a load of calories, and getting a move right when you've been working on it for ages is SO satisfying
    Bouncing is fun!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Cheerleading!

Physically demanding, really good fun and if you get on the right squad then you'll make life long friends. It's a team sport but individual performances make the difference between getting 5th place and 1st place in competition!

Fitness wise, it's aerobic/cardio with dances and jumps, and strength training with the gymnastics/throwing people around element. If you're small enough or have done gymnastics/trampolining/lots of core strength fitness in the past you may even be a flyer which is all about stretching your muscles and being as tight as possible - harder than it looks!
    I always think of the film Bring it on when I think cheerleaders. I have done gymnatics though and am pretty small so.maybe I could learn to fly

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.