The Student Room Group

What are the Easiest and least respected A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Раскольников
They couldn't learn anything about the body at university perhaps? Clearly Biology helps but in many cases it is not necessary (or at least not as important as Chemistry).

You can see on this list that Chemistry is more important:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

having biology will mean you dont get slaughtered when it comes to the first year at uni. and uni's will prefer their candidates to have biology seeing as the course is the study of the bodies illnesses and diseases.... But hey you could go for medicine without biology and be behind every1 else who did biology on the course.
Reply 201
As a performing arts student, yes, Dance and Drama may be seen as less respected ALevels if you were going on to study Physics at Oxbridge for ex. however if you are going to study performing arts they are perfect, no?! Also, saying they are easy is a complete mick take. I challenge anyone to sit my drama theory paper tomorrow. Hardest exam I've ever taken owing to the 2 essays, 4 mark, 6 mark and 10 mark short questions in 2 and a half hours. Good luck with that... Also, Dance is so difficult, if you are not practically skilled you would not be getting higher than a D. Before you judge, why dont you try? :rolleyes:
Original post by dr.phalange
Hardly think every single law student/lawyer knew what they wanted to be at that age.
Yes, a handful may have been set on doing law at uni, but there's no way at that age you can be expected to decide on your career path.

Well I was just responding about the problem you said there was for people who wanted to become lawyers.

I don't see why they don't either change the A-level to make it worth doing for those studying law at university, or just end it.

Original post by cuckoo99
having biology will mean you dont get slaughtered when it comes to the first year at uni. and uni's will prefer their candidates to have biology seeing as the course is the study of the bodies illnesses and diseases.... But hey you could go for medicine without biology and be behind every1 else who did biology on the course.

Well as I say, it would be helpful, but Chemistry is the most important thing. I know people studying Medicine both with and without a Biology A-level and those without don't seem to be struggling much more than those with it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 203
Original post by Tahooper
Here's a full list of the least respected A-Levels:

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Arts)
Business Studies (Economics)
Computing (Computer Science)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)
Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Science for Public Understanding
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development

:eek: In the UK you can actually graduate from 6th form with some of those?!?! In Germany we almost only have the 'serious' subjects, in my last year of school I had Maths, German, History, Italian, English, Chemistry, Social Science, Literature and Sports with exams in History, German, Chemistry and English. Other subjects offered were French, Spanish, Biology, Physics, Religious Studies (not for exams) etc.
I took Media Studies and I have got offers from Newcastle, Exeter, Southampton, Royal Holloway and Kent. It really doesn't matter as long as you do at least two academic subjects.
A-Levels which limit what you can do at university:

Art & Design (Arts)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

A-Levels which should only be chosen as a fourth choice:

Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development

Being limited by what you can do at university does not equate to a less respectable A Level!
Original post by Gales
Well, my friend does RE and literally does no work whatsoever and she got a C :confused:

Don't tell me a 'C' is classed as a good grade!
Reply 207
Original post by liamdunne
Don't tell me a 'C' is classed as a good grade!

It is when you did nothing all year and no revision.
Original post by liamdunne
Being limited by what you can do at university does not equate to a less respectable A Level!

Well in essence it does because it means that universities don't think of it as useful as other subjects which I would argue means they are not as respected either.
Original post by eminmo
Now that's blasphemous. English Language is harder than Lit.

Harder, but not as respectable.

We live in a strange world.
Reply 210
Here's a full list of the least respected A-Levels:

Art & Design (Arts)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)
Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development

It annoys me that Physical Education is regarded as a 'lesser subject'. I took it along with History and Geography and it was the hardest subject out of the three. It was very science based and involved Biology + Chemistry (how the body creates energy, respiratory system etc), Physics (mechanics of movement) and a lot of Psychology! I know quite a few people that took it along with Biology and found that it actually went more in depth than Bio did in some areas.
Original post by RCW1993
It annoys me that Physical Education is regarded as a 'lesser subject'. I took it along with History and Geography and it was the hardest subject out of the three. It was very science based and involved Biology + Chemistry (how the body creates energy, respiratory system etc), Physics (mechanics of movement) and a lot of Psychology! I know quite a few people that took it along with Biology and found that it actually went more in depth than Bio did in some areas.

Difficult =/= Respectable

I think I too would find P.E harder than History etc.
Reply 212
I do Media Studies and it is pretty easy compared to my other A-Levels. But seriously...how many times is there going to be a thread like this??
To be honest, I don't think it's entirely necessary to worry too much about the reputation of certain A-levels when choosing your subjects, as long as you're doing stuff that's fairly relevant to your potential choice of degree and that you think you'll enjoy, you'll be fine. Yes, some universities think less of some A-levels but this varies so much it's hard to put together a definite list, and the main focus is on grades/personal statements rather than specific subjects. It'd only likely be a major problem if your choices were massively irrelevant to your degree, e.g. taking Photography, Media and Biology for a Cambridge law degree (to pick some random examples).
Original post by Gales
It is when you did nothing all year and no revision.

So the fact that I achieved an A grade with no revision is impressive too? :rolleyes:
Reply 215
further maths :wink:
Typically, they are the subjects that are more practical than academic, like photography, cooking, art, dance, in comparison to very academic subjects like the science or maths, but this rule doesn't always apply, for example general studies and Critical thinking are both academic, but very badly disrespected, General studies isn't even considered a subject at most Unis!

-Jack
Reply 217
It's not really and Alevel, but people take it at our sixth form and it's equivalent : BTEC Sport.

Everyone who took it flunked every subject (but this one) at AS but manages to be on track for a distinction/distinction star (in the history of the school running the course, no-one has ever got lower than a merit.) [and most of them only appear in school once a month :s-smilie: ]
Reply 218
English, sociology geography - from experience.
Reply 219
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Because they end in ology.

I thought the 'ology' meant 'theory' so if that is correct 'biology' could be classed as a less respected subject? However, where would medical science be today without biology? Or as another example; psychology. Without the research that's been done we wouldn't have criminal profilers like paul britton who aided in catching some of the uk's most dangerpus murderers. Somehow the 'ology' ending subjects dont seem so un-respected do they...?

Quick Reply

Latest