The Student Room Group

Multitude of questions about science at uni

Hello!

Recently i've been thinking about what i want to study at universtiy, and am really really interested in science.

I find biology quite boring, involving memorising stuff, so not to keen on that.

Now i definatly prefer chemistry, but am put off by uni courses in chem. They all seem really really based around industrial chemistry, which frankly bores the **** out of me.
Do you have any idea of any more theoretical chemistry courses??

Also what careers could involve theoretical chemistry? Is industrial chem the only route, like my teachers keep telling me??

Another thing, is Biochemistry really looked apon badly? Its just that ive heard people on TSR call it the most pathetic science etc, because i am interested in that aswell.

Thanks you :biggrin:
Reply 1
Have you tried pharmacy? less industrial chemistry based, or pharmacology?
Reply 2
Which forums have you heard biochem critised on??? *grrrrr* biochem (as you will see on the biochem post) has a v. high rate of employment 80-85% and at least there are still loads of biochem departments (unlike chem -which is a terrible pity-damn that underfunding government) It isn't looked upon badly at all - opens the door to medicine later if you want it or pharmacy and many other research and industrial jobs.

Anyway, if you're interested in biochem you don't forget it does include biology - though heavily chem based - you can't really hate bio and like biochem...

Chemistry's a good subject to do - science jobs aren't particullary well paid but there are a shortage of chem grads so that's good...can't help with the theoretical side (depending on the level of uni you're looking at - oxbridge will be more theoretical).
could you maybe specify which courses you have looked at. most or all the ones i have come across seem pretty much completley theoretical (obviously with lab work). i fail to see what course specifications have chemistry specifically for industry. even industrial chemistry courses are essentially chemistry degrees, its just the option modules you take allow you to give your degree a name such as chemistry with industry for example. after all, industry is only putting the chemistry theory into practice so all the theory would have to be studied no matter what. sorry if i sound rude or anything, just trying to help, maybe you've misunderstood the specifications?!
I think someone has been misleading you about the content of chemistry courses, which at top universities are much the same (with obvious deviations in advanced modules which are often a presentation of a particular academic's research work) and involve teaching you core chemistry in the most part. If you want a good grounding in theoretical chemistry then the best bet is Oxford which has a highly mathematical course. Imperial is also pretty good at that too.

Your teachers are also misleading you about the career opportunities for chemists, there are many different fields that physical scientists can enter these days, with theoretical chemistry one could go into computing very easily.
Reply 5
How can people say biochem is looked badly upon?! :redface: Frankly its bloody hard, and I would admire anyone who gets through 3 years of it! It is DEFINITELY not the most pathetic science that is for sure! Also has very good prospects too, as other people have said.
Tbh, I find biology extremely boring, and have actually asked for people to end my suffering. I've also fallen asleep, front row centre, in the middle of the lesson... I also find chemistry extremely interesting. However, I'm plumping for a biology based degree at uni, because it's something in particular that fascinates me. (Virology and Immunology) It has enough chemistry to slake my thirst for it, and is also the best part of biology.

All I'm saying is, look at the other areas of biology, outside your particular course, before you rule it out completely.
Reply 7
No no no I dislike biology, but in biology the biochemistry module we did i really enjoyed (probably because of the chemistry in it though), I defintly dont hate it outright, but at A level it is dull.

Mudman: I have looked at other areas of biology (virology and immunology does sound really interesting), but how will i know if there for me or not? I've never done them before, and even researching them i've found very little. Its just abit scary and overwhelming to jump into a course i have pretty much no idea about.
I think i'd definatly enjoy theoretical chemistry with alot of maths thrown in for fun, but even then i'm uncertain.

Hmm another question, for a more theoritical chemistry degree would physics be essential at A level? Then i'm screwed.

Thanks again for all the help.
Reply 8
you won't need physics - maths definitely but not physics...
~the_one~
No no no I dislike biology, but in biology the biochemistry module we did i really enjoyed (probably because of the chemistry in it though), I defintly dont hate it outright, but at A level it is dull.

Mudman: I have looked at other areas of biology (virology and immunology does sound really interesting), but how will i know if there for me or not? I've never done them before, and even researching them i've found very little. Its just abit scary and overwhelming to jump into a course i have pretty much no idea about.
I think i'd definatly enjoy theoretical chemistry with alot of maths thrown in for fun, but even then i'm uncertain.

Hmm another question, for a more theoritical chemistry degree would physics be essential at A level? Then i'm screwed.

Thanks again for all the help.

That's a point, but it's like most other degrees really... TBH, I haven't got an inside out knowledge of the degree, but from going to open days, seeing the labs, talking to other current students, and reading the text book from A-Level, it's really gotten me hooked! Anyway, it's up to you. And if you do happen to make the wrong decision, most of the BioScience degrees share a common first year, so you should be able to switch course if neccessary without too much trouble...

Latest