Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We're back in recession

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17836624
    Two consecutive negative quarters of growth=recession

I predict that unfortunately the conservatives are about to see their worst local election results for decades.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks David and George.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this erm a double dip? How long is it till it's termed a depression? :dontknow:

Don't blame Dave and George, they were too busy trying to push the Sky bid through for the Murdochs to raise billions for the economy in erm...taxes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well we did warn you...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Well we did warn you...
    Warn who from what? Labour's economic policy is pretty much the same.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gotta love party politics. Blame games aplenty, when in reality, those at the top would appear to be as corrupt as each other. Again and again and again and again and again and again and again...

Democracy lolz
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Warn who from what? Labour's economic policy is pretty much the same.
    No it was not. It was less cuts over a longer period of time. We weren't gonna take the unnecessary risk that the Tories did. But I'm not complaining... you gambled and lost!
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    No it was not. It was less cuts over a longer period of time. We weren't gonna take the unnecessary risk that the Tories did. But I'm not complaining... you gambled and lost!
    Well as long as Labour look ahem...good (lol)...who cares what happens to the country...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Well as long as Labour look ahem...good (lol)...who cares what happens to the country...
    The better we look the more chance we have of winning elections and implementing our policies
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well that's fine then. As long as the tories are screwed you don't give a toss about any of your fellow citizens.
    If you actually look at the finer detail the differences in economic policy are not as stark as the parties make out. A £40 billion difference in fiscal tightening over the course of this parliament (5 years), which works out at £8 billion a year. In a £1.5 trillion economy the idea that an extra bit of borrowing would be the difference between a depression and a boom is quite frankly laughable.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well...that could have gone better.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They gambled, everyone loses this shouldn't please you unless you place more importance on the success of your party than the good of the people.

Should just point out the bad manufacturing from China which hit Europe something.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Well that's fine then. As long as the tories are screwed you don't give a toss about any of your fellow citizens.
    If you actually look at the finer detail the differences in economic policy are not as stark as the parties make out. A £40 billion difference in fiscal tightening over the course of this parliament (5 years), which works out at £8 billion a year. In a £1.5 trillion economy the idea that an extra bit of borrowing would be the difference between a depression and a boom is quite frankly laughable.
    It was good enough for the IMF...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're still doing a better job than the previous Labour government. Cameron warned us the cuts would be harsh, and to get out this debt crisis we have to accept the risks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    meh
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    They gambled, everyone loses this shouldn't please you unless you place more importance on the success of your party than the good of the people.
    The success of my party is (IMO, obviously) for the good of the people...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, its no great surprise, with all the external factors like the euro being screwed, the US economy in recession, major currencies going through the floor, its hardly surprising that we are back in recession.

Neither Labour nor the Conservatives could have protected the economy from such wide, far reaching global economic problems.

It's just one of those things, the end of boom and bust I once heard. I think not.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    What recession?

I'm getting a pay rise soon, going on holidays, going out for meals. Ain't no recession life is only getting better.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    What recession?

I'm getting a pay rise soon, going on holidays, going out for meals. Ain't no recession life is only getting better.
    Haha, there is some truth in that as well, I hardly go out for meals in restaurants but every time I do, they are hardly struggling.

I work in the holiday industry (cruises) and we are not struggling to fill cruises up in the Summer.

This recession is a funny one, maybe it is the availability of credit nowadays, dunno, many people still have disposable cash.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back? We never left...

If we ignore a few minor numbers, percentages and economic definitions spouted by the banks, media and government, the obvious fact is that the economy is f*****, has been for years and isn't anywhere near recovering.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 15, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.