The Student Room Group

Premier League All Time XI

So on the BBC, Paul Ince and Mark Lawrenson picked their best 11 from the Premier League (since it began in 1993). Their team were as follows, in a 4-4-2 formation;

GK - Schmeichel
DR - Dixon
DC - Terry
DC - Ferdinand
DL - Irwin
MR - Ronaldo
MC - Scholes
MC - Viera
ML - Giggs
SC - Bergkamp
SC - Henry

What are your choices people? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mines almost a carbon copy of that. :tongue:
GK - Schmeichael
LB - Dixon
CB - Campbell
CB - Adams
RB - Cole
LM - Ronaldo
CM - Scholes
CM - Vieira
RM - Giggs
ST - Henry
ST - Bergkamp
Reply 2
Only Arsenal/United players?

Shearer?
Reply 3
only 4 english players :^_^:
Reply 4
Original post by Jim-Jam

Shearer?

Take out a midfielder then stick Shearer in.
GK - Schmeichel
DR - G.Neville
DC - Terry
DC - Ferdinand
DL - Cole
MR - Ronaldo
MC - Scholes
MC - Keane
ML - Giggs
ST - Cantona
ST - Henry

Everything was easy except CB and ST, who could just as easily gone to other players.
Brendan Roger's team on MOTD 3 was almost exactly the same that I would choose:

--Schmeichel--
--Neville--Adams--Terry--Cole--
--Keane--Scholes--
--Ronaldo--Bergkamp--Henry--
--Shearer--

(Rogers chose Zola over Bergkamp and he might have chosen Vieira over Keane)

I like this team because it seems pretty flexible, it's easy to conceive of the formation shifting to a 4-3-3, or even a 4-2-4. Of course it's very attacking minded, but when you've got Adams/Terry/Keane, I don't think it matters.
Reply 7
It has to be Neville over Dixon really, and i'm an Arsenal fan! Terry wouldn't get near it, Ferdinand and Campbell are far superior and performed to a much higher standard than Terry.
Reply 8
Schmeichel
Neville, terry, adams, cole
makalele
gerrard scholes
henry shearer ronaldo

4-3-3 formation

Then in 4-4-2
same defence and goalie
beckham, keane, lampard, giggs
zola and didier drogba

Controversial the second one. But zola has got to be a contender while tevez is the most consistent player I've ever seen, immense work rate while lampard gets double figures as a midfielder and to balance the defensive side of a keane/viera/makalele type I got a more attacking midfielder like lampard.

Due to a comment on my mental state by a TSR user, I have decided to be a biased **** and take out tevez and put in didier drogba.

Original post by Archamedes
It has to be Neville over Dixon really, and i'm an Arsenal fan! Terry wouldn't get near it, Ferdinand and Campbell are far superior and performed to a much higher standard than Terry.

Conceded 15 goals in the 04-05 season, perform to a higher standard than that, think only capello's milan have a better record than that. This also goes down to cech who if he did that for a few more seasons would have trumphed schmeichel with ease.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Jim-Jam

Shearer?

Well...Terry's there :p:
Reply 10
Lehmann
Lauren Campbell Toure Cole
Vieira Gilberto
Ljungberg Pires
Bergkamp
Henry
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Koolio
Lehmann
Lauren Campbell Toure Cole
Ljungberg Gilberto Vieira Pires
Bergkamp Henry

You mean the side who concede more than 15 goals a season and don't even have the highest points total or highest amount of wins or the highest goals scored. Talk to juve about unbeaten seasons. Even they can do it.
Reply 12
Schmeichel
G.Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole.
Ronaldo, Scholes, Vieira, Giggs.
Shearer, Henry.
Reply 13
Schmeichel,
G. Neville, Campbell, Vidic, Ashley Cole
Ronaldo, Keane, Scholes, Giggs
Shearer, Henry.

A tough choice for CB. I was tempted with either Ferdinand or Campbell. But Sol did perform well with Spurs and was a rock for Arsenal with their success. The rest sort of picked themselves.
Reply 14
Original post by jam277
Schmeichel
makalele
gerrard scholes
henry shearer ronaldo

4-3-3 formation

Then in 4-4-2
same defence and goalie
zola and tevez

Controversial the second one. But zola has got to be a contender while tevez is the most consistent player I've ever seen, immense work rate while lampard gets double figures as a midfielder and to balance the defensive side of a keane/viera/makalele type I got a more attacking midfielder like lampard.

Conceded 15 goals in the 04-05 season, perform to a higher standard than that, think only capello's milan have a better record than that. This also goes down to cech who if he did that for a few more seasons would have trumphed schmeichel with ease.

I couldn't agree more, that year was a defensive masterclass from Chelsea. However, I think a lot of the credit has to go to 1. - Mourinho. His defensive coaching and tactics are second to none. 2. - Ricardo Carvalho. One of the best defenders I've seen play. 3. - Ashley Cole. Best left back in the Prem ever EASILY (again, i'm an Arsenal fan).

Terry's qualities are easy to recognise, but the best CB to play in the Prem? He's not that. Bravest man award maybe.
Reply 15
Original post by Archamedes
I couldn't agree more, that year was a defensive masterclass from Chelsea. However, I think a lot of the credit has to go to 1. - Mourinho. His defensive coaching and tactics are second to none. 2. - Ricardo Carvalho. One of the best defenders I've seen play. 3. - Ashley Cole. Best left back in the Prem ever EASILY (again, i'm an Arsenal fan).

Terry's qualities are easy to recognise, but the best CB to play in the Prem? He's not that. Bravest man award maybe.

Cole wasn't playing for us in 04-05 in the season we smashed most of the records, he played in the 09-10 season when we scored the most goals though.

Carvalho and terry has got to be one of the best defensive partnerships I've ever seen, probably italy's defence of nesta and cannavaro is the only defensive partnership that's I've honestly seen as better, terry and carvalho even trumphed vidic and ferdinand.

Terry is underrated I think. He's englands best defender for the past decade, adams is probably better than terry though. He was the definition of a rock.
Reply 16
1.Seaman

2.G.Neville
5.Adams
6.Terry
3.A.Cole

4.R.Keane
8.Scholes

11.Henry
10.Bergkamp
7.Ronaldo

9.Shearer
Original post by jam277
Schmeichel
makalele
gerrard scholes
henry shearer ronaldo

4-3-3 formation

Then in 4-4-2
same defence and goalie
zola and tevez

Not sure if youre mental or high or on the WUM. But tevez up front. hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Original post by jam277
Cole wasn't playing for us in 04-05 in the season we smashed most of the records, he played in the 09-10 season when we scored the most goals though.

Carvalho and terry has got to be one of the best defensive partnerships I've ever seen, probably italy's defence of nesta and cannavaro is the only defensive partnership that's I've honestly seen as better, terry and carvalho even trumphed vidic and ferdinand.

Terry is underrated I think. He's englands best defender for the past decade, adams is probably better than terry though. He was the definition of a rock.

How are Terry and Carvalho better as a partnership better than Vidic and Ferdinand? It's a close call but, even though I'm slightly biased, I'd rank Vidic and Ferdinand above them as a partnership because they have won more to back up their ability.

I agree Terry is underrated but he's not England's best defender for the past decade. Sol Campbell and Rio Ferdinand have been better than him during that period.
Reply 19
Original post by Mastermind`
How are Terry and Carvalho better as a partnership better than Vidic and Ferdinand? It's a close call but, even though I'm slightly biased, I'd rank Vidic and Ferdinand above them as a partnership because they have won more to back up their ability.

I agree Terry is underrated but he's not England's best defender for the past decade. Sol Campbell and Rio Ferdinand have been better than him during that period.

1. Vidic and ferdinand haven't won more than the partnership of terry and carvalho. They won the CL in 08, won the prem 3 times in a row and won a league cup. Terry and carvalho in the same time won the carling cup, the fa cup 3 times and 2 premier league titles. 6 trophies vs 5 trophies in the same time unless you discount the half season vidic wasn't there in the 05-06 season. This doesn't include the carling cup in 05 and the prem in 05 around that time.
2. They conceded 15 goals in one season, I'm willing to bet united haven't come close to beating that record.
3. The terry vs ferdinand argument, I would rank him slightly better, but like you I'm biased, I reckon if we used statistics it'll be similar stats. Campbell, well I think he's a great player, but I cannot say as I did not look at him as much as people did, it's like me saying pele is better than messi when I've not seen pele play in a single match or even seen him score a single goal.

Quick Reply

Latest