The Student Room Group

Nursing Degree... how much theory time?

Heya :smile: I should hopefully be starting a degree in adult nursing in september 2012. I understand that on placements you will be working a 37.5 hour week. How much time do you spend at uni during theory?

Thanks

Hannah xx
It will depend on the university tbh, maybe ask someone in the same uni you are looking at going to on the same course.

On average in first year i was in about 3 days for theory related work and one day for clinical skills but the day lengths can vary quite a bit. Second year was a bit different there is more directed study time. Hope that helped a bit :smile:
It will depend on the uni. Our core theory hours are 9 - 4 mon - friday but we sometimes have lectures till 5 or 6.

In first year we were generally in 4 and a half days per week.
In second year we were mostly in 3-4 days a week.
Now in third year we are just in 2-3 days per week.

The days that we are not in lectures are coursework days and generally I try to get work out the way on those days rather than trying to do academic work whilst on placement time. We have quite a lot of work to do outside our lectures and tutorials. My uni does loads and loads of group work and scenario based work so often we're doing self directed study in small groups.

I like having the 50:50 split between theory and practice. I enjoy the theory side and catching up with my nursey friends but its always nice to go back onto placement and be more practical :smile:

Hope that helps. Good luck with the course!

Quick Reply

Latest