Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I read?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm no literature student or anything, in fact I rarely read books at all. When I do read I tent to stick factual books based on science. I'd like to branch out a little bit and perhaps read some classics. I've actually got the complete works of Shakespeare but I was having a read of one of his plays last night and I didn't really understand. The book has all the meanings of the words he uses at the bottom of each page but it was taking far too long to read.

Can anybody recommend something which isn't too difficult to read as Shakespeare which they have enjoyed reading themselves? Please don't just rattle names of random books off, I'm after books which people enjoyed to read and would do so again.

Much appreciated.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell the, of the best books I have ever read. Mein Kampf is also recommended if you enjoy the rantings of Hitler, quite an extraordinary read if you ask me. And lastly My family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Theres a huge thread dedicated to recommendations on here. What you could also do is go onto amazon and have a browse, click the category you're most interested in I usually do this
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For classics, three books which are hard to beat, in my opinion, are
    Wuthering Heights
    Jane Eyre
    The Major of Casterbridge

I've read each of these several times and I find them hard to put down once I start. I'm no lit student either. Hope it helps.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    1984 is good ... also classics go with how to kill a mockingbird , lord of the flies

for plays like shakespeare you could read blood brothers thats more modern but theres a whole variety of books out there to read :-)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak Lemming)
    Hi all,

I'm no literature student or anything, in fact I rarely read books at all. When I do read I tent to stick factual books based on science. I'd like to branch out a little bit and perhaps read some classics. I've actually got the complete works of Shakespeare but I was having a read of one of his plays last night and I didn't really understand. The book has all the meanings of the words he uses at the bottom of each page but it was taking far too long to read.

Can anybody recommend something which isn't too difficult to read as Shakespeare which they have enjoyed reading themselves? Please don't just rattle names of random books off, I'm after books which people enjoyed to read and would do so again.

Much appreciated.
    1984 (suggested above) was really good and not hard to read.
    what you could do is go to the library and get out one of the 'easy read' type versions of shakespeare - you can get some that are 'translated' into modern english so you can appreciate his plays whilst being able to understand! they're actually really helpful.
    I'm the King of the Castle (i think by susan hill?) was really good, it's a bit depressing but amazingly well written.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't read Bad Science by Ben Goldacre then read that....admittedly it's factual but very good. Also, the Hobbit is great (as a light read).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all, I've went for 1984 seeing as a lot of people have recommended it Also thanks for the Shakespeare suggestion, I'll keep an eye out for them books

Thanks again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Outsider/The Stranger by Albert Camus is a great novel in my opinion! I'm also a Joyce fan, particularly Dubliners. Agree completely with George Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984 - great books! Also, Harry Potter. It might be stereotyped as a childs series of books now, but nearly everyone enjoys them!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak Lemming)
    Hi all,

Much appreciated.
    One of the best books I have ever read is F. Scott Fitzgerald the great gatsby.
    It is such a compelling novel and you will be captivated from the first chapter. The book is being amde into a movie and it will be out at the end of this year, but you should definately read the book first!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 27, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.