The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Darth Vader 7
If we keep Walcott on, our wings have good depth with Walcott, Gervinho, Podolski, Chamberlain and possibly Miyaichi vying for a place in the starting line-up.

Podolski to replace rvp & ox/ryo still being very raw, the fine line between mediocrity and greatness ey:rolleyes:. Let's pray that he stays.
Reply 2981
Original post by JK.
Apparently Schweinsteiger's revealed he turned down a 'mega offer' from us last summer. Bit taken aback by that really, no surprise he turned us down but the intention to genuinely try for him is pretty interesting.

:lolwut: Really? Is this from Twitter?

I'm really surprised too. If that isn't showing positive intent in the market, I don't know what is.
Reply 2982
Original post by marcusmerehay
Sunderland have released Craig Gordon.

As free transfers go, he wouldn't be a bad option if Wenger is considering bringing in a replacement for Almunia.

I don't see Craig Gordon signing for us to sit on the bench. He'll probably ask for relatively high wages too. A verteran keeper is the best option for us.
RVP will stay. He will become a legend at the club if he does.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2984
Original post by adriang458
RVP will stay. He will become a legend at the club if he does.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

:football:
Original post by Abiraleft

Do you not feel we have the same dilemma in the centre of midfield (Wilshere, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Diaby, Coquelin) and on the wings (Podolski, Walcott, Gervinho, Chamberlain, possibly Miyaichi)? :holmes:

The dilemmas are Ramsey and diaby :tongue:, I still think we need 1 more midfielder to be solid there, especially with half of them injured/injury prone.
Reply 2986
:lolwut: Really? Is this from Twitter?

I'm really surprised too. If that isn't showing positive intent in the market, I don't know what is.

Read it on there but it had a little hunt around and it's from an interview Van Gaal had with the Dutch Telegraaf, dunno how reliable they are but like I say, I don't see why he'd lie.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/buitenlands/12163723/__Van_Gaal__Bayern_groter_dan_Arsenal__.html

I doubt any of us would disagree with his sentiment that Bayern are a bigger club and moving to Arsenal wouldn't be a step in the right direction for him but as you say, it's the intent that counts.
Hi guise. Not sure if you've seen the thread(s) but we'll be running some awards on this forum in the coming week or so. Everything is here. You have until Tuesday to get your nominations in. :yy:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JK.
Apparently Schweinsteiger's revealed he turned down a 'mega offer' from us last summer. Bit taken aback by that really, no surprise he turned us down but the intention to genuinely try for him is pretty interesting.

That's very interesting indeed. If true, it does prove to an extent that Wenger was ready to spend (something I think he is unfairly criticised for). We put in bids for Phil Jones, Cahill, Mata, M'Vila and now Schweinsteiger (if true). Probably bid on a few others that I forgot about but the intent is there from Arsenal.

Hopefully this transfer window will be considerably more successful considering that we are in a better position than last summer.
Reply 2989
Yes, except Mertesacker would probably usually be breaking up play using his positioning (interceptions) and height rather than energy and tough tackling (as is usually the case with the 'destroyer' role - which is what Vermaelen is supposed to play). :smile:

Yes, Vermaelen-Mertesacker-Koscielny. It could work so well if we could keep a handle on the disciplinary issues. As it is, I'd be afraid that we'd often end up on the wrong end of a counter-attack with only Mertesacker back defending. :afraid:

Yeah, supposed to play lol, in any case we'd end up with 2 at the back, if Vermaelen decides to continue with his forward forays. God forbid Kos decides to attack and Mert was left on his own :O But hopefully Bould can reinstate some defensive discipline over the coming months.

I'm a bit confused as to why no one seems to be bothered about Walcott's contract. Of course he has only been 'consistent in patches' (:confused:) but he has been our second most productive player in attack and has a great understanding with Robin. Although it seems more and more likely that we won't get to see any more of their combining play as the days drag on.

If he decides to not sign a new contract I'm not sure whether the board would try and get a quick sale (he is young and English so could fetch a pretty penny) or keep him until next season and hope he signs a new contract. I hear people saying they wouldn't mind if he went, but why would we get rid of one of our best players that we have been nurturing for the best part of 6 years, who is now just starting to come good?
Reply 2990
Original post by J.Star
Yeah, supposed to play lol, in any case we'd end up with 2 at the back, if Vermaelen decides to continue with his forward forays. God forbid Kos decides to attack and Mert was left on his own :O But hopefully Bould can reinstate some defensive discipline over the coming months.

I'm a bit confused as to why no one seems to be bothered about Walcott's contract. Of course he has only been 'consistent in patches' (:confused:) but he has been our second most productive player in attack and has a great understanding with Robin. Although it seems more and more likely that we won't get to see any more of their combining play as the days drag on.

If he decides to not sign a new contract I'm not sure whether the board would try and get a quick sale (he is young and English so could fetch a pretty penny) or keep him until next season and hope he signs a new contract. I hear people saying they wouldn't mind if he went, but why would we get rid of one of our best players that we have been nurturing for the best part of 6 years, who is now just starting to come good?

- van Persie leaves.
- Amid the general gloom, Arsenal announce that Walcott has agreed to a new 5-year deal.
- Walcott gets his chance in the centre, we play Podolski-Walcott-Gervinho.
- Walcott turns out to be the next Henry after all and scores 40 goals.
- Arsenal win stuff too.

:moon:

Seriously, I'm not quite sure. I get the feeling that his contract situation is somehow tied to van Persie's - though from his media history and comments, I'd be pretty confident that he'd want to sign a contract extension. There must be other factors - like perhaps the board not wanting to talk to anyone before they finish with van Persie, or something like that - that come into play.
Are we all supporting Bayern today then?
Reply 2992
Original post by City_Gooner
Are we all supporting Bayern today then?

I don't really care about 'first London team to win CL' since everyone will forget about it after it happens.

It's a win-win game for me so I just hope it's good game.

In the mean time, 7 hours to kill. Here we come Chemistry revision... :sad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2993
- van Persie leaves.
- Amid the general gloom, Arsenal announce that Walcott has agreed to a new 5-year deal.
- Arsenal win stuff too.

Seriously, I'm not quite sure. I get the feeling that his contract situation is somehow tied to van Persie's - though from his media history and comments, I'd be pretty confident that he'd want to sign a contract extension. There must be other factors - like perhaps the board not wanting to talk to anyone before they finish with van Persie, or something like that - that come into play.

Lool, I'm liking the prediction. But every time a big player leaves (Viera, Henry, Fabregas, possibly RvP) we are left with less and less people that could step up to the plate as our 'talisman' and carry the team. The only players out of our current lot that look likely to be able to do that is Walcott and Podolski. One of whom might not be here come August, and another who may need time to adapt the premier league.

Can definitely see Walcott keeping a close eye on Robin's contract extension when thinking about his own though. Also, will the club be willing to pay the wages that Walcott is apparently asking for, in the region of £80k to £100k a week.

If we do sell him, it better not be to a premier league club (the same goes for Robin), we don't want to sell one of the fastest players in the league to a rival now do we. If anything and neither of them want to sign, offer Juve a little deal for Robin and Theo for the bargain price of £50/£60 million :cool:
Reply 2994
From his media history and comments, I'd be pretty confident that he'd want to sign a contract extension.

This is the main point for me. In his interview after the WBA game he was talking about pushing on and the team challenging next season using words like 'we' and 'our' not just 'the team' - he's got a year left so he knows he's going to be offered a new contract and from those words there's little to suggest he's got any intention of moving. The reason Robin's the focus at the moment is because he looks nowhere near as assured and is a more important player.

Said a few months back that I really wouldn't be opposed to Theo going this summer provided we could get a decent fee for him, since then he's done more than enough to warrant a place and new contract but there's no denying he'd be a lot easier to replace than Robin should the situation arise.
Reply 2995
- van Persie leaves.
- Arsenal win stuff too.

Theo has already come out and said that he's the type of striker that needs to play alongside a target man, which is why him and RVP up front wouldn't work. I wonder if that's what Wenger is/ has been hanging onto Bendtner for, in the hope that he'll mature enough to fulfil that role.
Reply 2996
Original post by Nut.
Theo has already come out and said that he's the type of striker that needs to play alongside a target man, which is why him and RVP up front wouldn't work. I wonder if that's what Wenger is/ has been hanging onto Bendtner for, in the hope that he'll mature enough to fulfil that role.

The only reason Bendtner is still around is because we can't find a club daft enough to match the stupid wages Wenger gave him for no real reason much the same as Vela, Denilson, Almunia etc.
Reply 2997
Original post by alexsong
The only reason Bendtner is still around is because we can't find a club daft enough to match the stupid wages Wenger gave him for no real reason much the same as Vela, Denilson, Almunia etc.

Hopefully. (Anyone can see from previous posts on here that I'm not Bendtner fan).
I met a fairy today who said she'd grant me one wish. "I want to live forever" I said. The fairy replied with "sorry, I am not allowed to grant that particular wish"... "fine" I said "I want to die when Tottenham win the Premier League". Ooh you crafty **** said the fairy.
:rofl:
Original post by alexsong

Can't we just release them from their contracts, It may cost a bit, but I would be happy knowing they won't be sitting around collecting a wage for underperforming.

Latest