The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap-year and reapply to UCAS for Oxbridge?

I've currently got Queen Mary University as my firm choice for UCAS and UEA as my insurance to study English Literature.

I was encouraged to apply for Oxbridge at school but decided not to after convincing myself I was not good enough, however now I'm beginning to regret this decision.

I was rejected from UCL, the one I really wanted, after interview and so have now chosen Queen Mary. I'm predicted A*A*A in English Lit, Politics and History, however my other AS is a D in Accounts (don't ask). Do I have a chance?

I really want to become a successful journalist so thought that, if I got these grades, I could do an NCTJ course in the year off, do some work experience and reapply for UCAS. However, this would seem like a waste if I ended up getting reject by Oxford and UCL again and left with going to Queen Mary a year later. What do you reckon?

My motive for Oxbridge is basically the reputation, it seems like anyone who's anyone went there.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JEFFERSON
I've currently got Queen Mary University as my firm choice for UCAS and UEA as my insurance to study English Literature.

I was encouraged to apply for Oxbridge at school but decided not to after convincing myself I was not good enough, however now I'm beginning to regret this decision.

I was rejected from UCL, the one I really wanted, after interview and so have now chosen Queen Mary. I'm predicted A*A*A in English Lit, Politics and History, however my other AS is a D in Accounts (don't ask). Do I have a chance?

I really want to become a successful journalist so thought that, if I got these grades, I could do an NCTJ course in the year off, do some work experience and reapply for UCAS. However, this would seem like a waste if I ended up getting reject by Oxford and UCL again and left with going to Queen Mary a year later. What do you reckon?

My motive for Oxbridge is basically the reputation, it seems like anyone who's anyone went there.

QMUL is a very good university but if you really don't want to go there, don't. It's your future for the next 3/4 years so you want to be somewhere comfortable and where you are happy.

If you have strong GCSE grades then I would say apply for Oxford, however if they were quite weak compared to other applicants go Cambridge because they ask for your AS UMS and if you have 95+ in them you should be fine.

The big bonus for you is you will already have your grades set in stone and so UCL and Oxbridge will know you are very capable.

Do what you want is my advice, I would say aim high if you will have A*A*A.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Young
QMUL is a very good university but if you really don't want to go there, don't. It's your future for the next 3/4 years so you want to be somewhere comfortable and where you are happy.

If you have strong GCSE grades then I would say apply for Oxford, however if they were quite weak compared to other applicants go Cambridge because they ask for your AS UMS and if you have 95+ in them you should be fine.

The big bonus for you is you will already have your grades set in stone and so UCL and Oxbridge will know you are very capable.

Do what you want is my advice, I would say aim high if you will have A*A*A.

My GCSE grades
History A* Graphic Design A
Citizenship A* Media - A
English Language A* Physics B
BTEC Business Distinction* Science B
English Literature A ICT B
Maths A German C

Do I have a shot? And also, I would be happy at QM, I really like the course, but I'm just worried about missing out on having that prestige on my CV
Reply 3
My GCSE grades
History A* Graphic Design A
Citizenship A* Media - A
English Language A* Physics B
BTEC Business Distinction* Science B
English Literature A ICT B
Maths A German C

Do I have a shot? And also, I would be happy at QM, I really like the course, but I'm just worried about missing out on having that prestige on my CV

Wait until results day then decide - you need the results on paper first.
Reply 4
Honestly, for Oxford I don't think so. They ARE GCSE NAZIS. Most applicants have something like 98% of grades A*s in GCSEs on average. If you have 95+ UMS in your AS Levels then you should be within for a chance at Cambridge but that D might affect you.

UCL obviously saw something in you hence the interview and they are 4/5th in the world so if you do get A*A*A then you should be well within a chance.

Do not base going to a university because of prestige. never. go to the place you will love and be happy with.

Thanks, I genuinely appreciate that, it makes me feel better about not applying! Hope I get some more opinions...
Reply 5
Thanks, I genuinely appreciate that, it makes me feel better about not applying! Hope I get some more opinions...

Good luck in your choice! :smile:
I have not gone through this period yet myself so perhaps I am not in the best position to comment.However those predictions sound brilliant. If I were you, I would wait until you get your results. If they are what is predicted, definitely aim your sights higher!
Reply 7
Original post by MyronGainesworth
hahaha jokes on your guys, I don’t even go to uni and I know I’m gonna be 10k a day CEO-ing.

thats the beauty of being an heir to a multi-million dollar business :wink:

JAKES ON YOU GUYS HAHAHA

I don't think you'll be a good CEO if you can't spell hahahahaha

complete and utter idiot.
Reply 8
Honestly, for Oxford I don't think so. They ARE GCSE NAZIS. Most applicants have something like 98% of grades A*s in GCSEs on average. If you have 95+ UMS in your AS Levels then you should be within for a chance at Cambridge but that D might affect you.

UCL obviously saw something in you hence the interview and they are 4/5th in the world so if you do get A*A*A then you should be well within a chance.

Do not base going to a university because of prestige. never. go to the place you will love and be happy with.

Uh oh, GCSE student who doesn't know jack talking crap again alert
Reply 9
hahah you mad I’m gonna be making more money that you just because I was born with a silver-spoon in my mouth??

brb not wasting years at uni when I can be making CASH MONEY and Live life.

Really most people earning big salaries tend to do it through these things called banks these days, they've been pretty big for a few centuries now, rather than cash in hand. Unless your family business is drug running, in which case probably don't advertise it so widely.
Reply 10
Original post by hockeyjoe
Uh oh, GCSE student who doesn't know jack talking crap again alert

that's me :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Honestly, for Oxford I don't think so. They ARE GCSE NAZIS. Most applicants have something like 98% of grades A*s in GCSEs on average.

This is wrong. I've got a friend here at Oxford doing English who got a D in his 4th AS (in maths) and 4 A*s at GCSE. He's a clever guy and impressed at interview. Oxford aren't GCSE 'nazis'.

This is better advice :smile:
Reply 12

Read 'what are my chances of getting an interview' http://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/faq/11/faqs.html
Reply 13
Original post by LtCommanderData
This is wrong. I've got a friend here at Oxford doing English who got a D in his 4th AS (in maths) and 4 A*s at GCSE. He's a clever guy and impressed at interview. Oxford aren't GCSE 'nazis'.

This is better advice :smile:

tbh I'm just going on what I've seen on other posts I've seen on here lool
Congratz to your friend though! What an opportunity!
Reply 14
Ohh the mind of a naive child.... Everyone knows girls are only attracted to money. At the end of the day sloots gonna sloot.

brb white-knighting a girl only for her to leave you for a 10k a day CEO (me)

may I ask what company this is? because if it's a million dollar company it must be on the internet :smile:
Reply 15
hahaha :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by roh
Read 'what are my chances of getting an interview' http://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/faq/11/faqs.html

this is one college.... I know of a college in Oxford(forgot the name), where they say they want at least 5 A*s to even be considered. It's on their website btw. It is for Law though and not english.
Reply 17
great comeback hahaha!
Reply 18
Well u take things literally...I never said I’d be making cash in hand idiot.

Nd yes I am familiar with banks...after-all they’ve been handling my trust fund since before I was even conceived

Nope, I was being facetious.

Wow well done on making so much money, pity you won't actually be earning any of it.
As people have said above, as you're going to end up being at uni for 3-4 years it's worth making sure you like the one you've picked. Focus on revision and acing your exams and if you're still not happy with your choices come results day, take a gap year. Don't feel the pressure now. It's quite common for people to change their minds once they get their results and gaining relevant experience on your gap year is never a bad idea. Then again I'm biased. I'm on an unexpected gap year and am enjoying being able to gain experience while my friends are complaining about revising for exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending