The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap-year and reapply to UCAS for Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mr Young
this is one college.... I know of a college in Oxford(forgot the name), where they say they want at least 5 A*s to even be considered. It's on their website btw. It is for Law though and not english.

I suspect you mean Cambridge not Oxford, and that the college you're thinking of his Churchill: http://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/courses/law/

And they are the exception and not the rule.

The only course for which Oxford specifically say GCSEs are important is medicine and then they do have the 90% A*s for the average shortlisted applicant http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by roh
I suspect you mean Cambridge not Oxford, and that the college you're thinking of his Churchill: http://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/courses/law/

And they are the exception and not the rule.

there is one more college as the website was different!
Reply 22
Original post by MyronGainesworth
Oh look, another hater - well this has really got to me!! phaggot.

I’d rather have the money than earn it.

brb working myself to death to earn an average salary and get by. NO THANKS.

brb loser troll thinks he's hilarious...
Reply 23
there is one more college as the website was different!

Could have changed the website? They're the only ones I know of who mention certain GCSEs and these anomalies to the norm tend to be spotted, particularly as people look for every little advantage with Oxbridge. Though fair enough if you find itagain, it's perfectly possible an Oxford college has decided it's working for Churchill so they'll give it a bash for the next round of UCAS.

It still wouldn't limit people too much though, there are 30 odd colleges after all, and doesn't affect OP who wants to do English.
is it possible to get 3 A*s???
Reply 25
Euro Car Parts, phaggot. So remember that next time your junk of metal you call a car breaks down and parts need replacing - you’re only funding my lavish lifestyle.

You mad?

I do this all the time. Every time I buy a Coke, or use iTunes, or go shopping at Tesco, use the bank I understand that it is funding lifestyles probably considerably more lavish than your own.

However I am not mad, in fact I just do it without worrying about it too much to be honest.

Also shouldn't you be out at Whiskey Mist waving a bottle of Bollinger at some girl who dreams of being a Hedgie WAG but will settle for a scrap metal dealer?
Reply 26
Original post by JEFFERSON

You could do your masters at Oxford?
Reply 27

JAKES ON YOU GUYS HAHAHA

Well, could you tell him to get off?

@OP - all i'll say is that if you know for a fact that you'd rather not go to the university you've accepted then it's better to do something now.
Unlike me, who decided to go to university anyway. And now i'm in the process of dropping out so that I can reapply, having gained not very much from deciding to come apart from a few extra thousand £'s on top of my student debt.

If you have something in mind that'll benefit you and keep you occupied for another year, then i'd say look into it. Especially if really do feel as though you probably could stand a chance at those other universities if you could reapply.
But I don't want to influence your decision in any way, there's obviously always a chance it may not work out, and you've got a pretty decent offer lined up as it is. You just have to work out what it is you really want to do.
Are these second thoughts your having maybe down to you not really wanting to go to the university you've accepted? or is it just a case of you feeling you could aim higher?
If it's the first, then it's not a good omen, especially this early on. If the second, then you've just got to judge whether it's worth the hassle when you've got an offer you're happy enough with already.

I'll also add (as some people seem to let it bother them) that going to university a year, or a couple of years late will make absolutely no difference to the experience, how people look at you or how you're treated.
Reply 28
Thanks, I genuinely appreciate that, it makes me feel better about not applying! Hope I get some more opinions...

If you get the grades you're predicted, I strongly advise ŷou to reapply to Oxford.
Reply 29

I’d rather have the money than earn it.

brb working myself to death to earn an average salary and get by. NO THANKS.

I'm guessing you didn't "work yourself to death" at school either?
I'll keep an eye out for the "Multi-million company Euro Car Parts goes under" headline in the coming years. As it undoubtably will if, as you said, you're in line to inherit it :lol:
Reply 30
Well i congratulate you on overcoming your bitterness towards the elite.

LOL Whiskey Mist on a Wednesday night?! You people really have no idea...

Thanks, I'm pretty proud of myself too for accepting all the injustices in the world, in spite Blue imploring me not to with their touching music.

To be fair you are quite a good troll. Keep up this sort of good work and you could one day troll at world level.
If you are good at your subject then apply with good A level grades it shouldn't matter what your GCSEs were. People make huge steps academically in sixth form. I was in a very similar situation myself two years ago.

With the fee increase and effectively gambled 18 grand on getting good grades and making it into Oxbridge and it paid off after some painfully hard work. Go all out to get straight A*s and then you'll have time over the summer to decide where you'll be happiest.
Honestly, for Oxford I don't think so. They ARE GCSE NAZIS. Most applicants have something like 98% of grades A*s in GCSEs on average. If you have 95+ UMS in your AS Levels then you should be within for a chance at Cambridge but that D might affect you.

UCL obviously saw something in you hence the interview and they are 4/5th in the world so if you do get A*A*A then you should be well within a chance.

Do not base going to a university because of prestige. never. go to the place you will love and be happy with.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Don't advise if your advice is erroneous, generalised and subjective.
Reply 33
My GCSE grades
History A* Graphic Design A
Citizenship A* Media - A
English Language A* Physics B
BTEC Business Distinction* Science B
English Literature A ICT B
Maths A German C

Do I have a shot? And also, I would be happy at QM, I really like the course, but I'm just worried about missing out on having that prestige on my CV

Oxford's a pretty intense environment. I've visited lots of my friends at their unis on my gap year and Oxford was, I hate to say it just weird. Or at least it's very different from the typical "student experience". They go out less than other unis e.g. Manchester etc., they work very hard and almost everyone I met was extremely passionate about their subject. My friend there doesn't know how to cook or really shop as he's catered, it seems a very "closed" environment, a sort of world of its own. Do you want to be somewhere like that?

However my friend there doesn't really like going out and is very driven, so it suits him really well. It's a beautiful university in a great city, it's got a fantastic history and would provide you with so many opportunities. No one I met was drinking their degree away, although some people do go out tons, there's a fair few who just want to sit in the college bar with a few drinks and chat to their mates. It's a really fantastic uni but I don't imagine it'll be the same as going to Queen Mary, you need to consider that alongside the prestige.
Reply 34
OMG LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL you iz bare jks. how does you manage to be dis jks 24/7????
Reply 35
Thanks for the advice to everyone who has replied. Hope there will be some more contributions...
Reply 36
Thanks for the advice to everyone who has replied. Hope there will be some more contributions...

I am in a similar situation for Natural Sciences at Cambridge. I emailed a few colleges to request some opinions, and asked them to tell me as much as they could about the reapplicant system/success ratios etc. They said A*A*A would make my application competitive. I'm (hopefully) on track for A*A*A*A*, but probably a big deciding factor should you apply to Cambridge, is your UMS. If your A*s are really top notch, then by all means, go for it!

I don't know much about UCL, but I would suspect A*A*A would make a strong paper application, and it would then come down to your interview, again.

Bear in mind, Oxbridge (definitely) and UCL (possibly?) will interview you, so you have to consider whether or not you can step up to the challenge! :biggrin:

Other than that, Cambridge recommended I retained an academic interest and found relevant work experience during my gap year.

Good luck! I think your best option right now is to get the grades, and decide in summer!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Oromis263
I am in a similar situation for Natural Sciences at Cambridge. I emailed a few colleges to request some opinions, and asked them to tell me as much as they could about the reapplicant system/success ratios etc. They said A*A*A would make my application competitive. I'm (hopefully) on track for A*A*A*A*, but probably a big deciding factor should you apply to Cambridge, is your UMS. If your A*s are really top notch, then by all means, go for it!

I don't know much about UCL, but I would suspect A*A*A would make a strong paper application, and it would then come down to your interview, again.

Bear in mind, Oxbridge (definitely) and UCL (possibly?) will interview you, so you have to consider whether or not you can step up to the challenge! :biggrin:

Other than that, Cambridge recommended I retained an academic interest and found relevant work experience during my gap year.

Good luck! I think you're best option right now is to get the grades, and decide in summer!

LOL would be funny if you don’t get your grades and don’t get into uni hahahahaha
Reply 38
Original post by HolyPriest
LOL would be funny if you don’t get your grades and don’t get into uni hahahahaha

Yes, that would be hilarious. :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Oromis263
Yes, that would be hilarious. :smile:

could we blame it on karma for bragging how your going to get 4A*s?? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending