Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The hate for Islam is unreal! (Especially on TSR).

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwertyG)
    Its hated for a reason
    Really? It seems the TSR find a way of hating on anything without reason all the time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheep)
    ever think maybe it's you, not the haters that are un-informed, maybe you should go read more about muslim values/beliefs and some particular Qu'ran passages

read about a lot of the things it teaches, they even still teach that water and science can not be mixed in one of the top muslim-only private schools in Britain because apparently it says so in the Qu'ran
    Haha! Have YOU read Qu'ran passages? And I mean real ones, not 'translated' ones that you get on anti-Islam sites?

I don't usually feel the need to comment on threads regarding religion, but I love how you try to make out how you know that Islam is wrong and everyone else who doesn't hasn't read the Qu'ran or whatever.

As for the 'water and science can't mix' thing, what are you talking about? Link me, or have some evidence.

Going back to the topic of this thread, OP, I think that people have the wrong perception of Islam, and this is clearly reflected on TSR. Furthermore, I feel that people on here love to follow the crowd, make witty comments and what-not just to get their wee positive rep. Sheeesh.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Although I generally hate religion. Some of the Muslim people I know are quite possibly the most arrogant, stubborn, condescending, backward and contradictory people I've ever met!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    I am a Christian, so your, "you're muslim, you would say that" argument is truly void.
    What about the "You're trying to make Christians look more tolerant" argument. I bet you're just doing it so you can have more 'good deed' stickers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I do not want to be part of this. But I am an 18 year old girl from Pakistan. I am currently studying to become a mechanical engineer. My dad always wanted me to become a journalist, that was his wish, not demand. My mother is a working doctor. My dad can cook and does most of the house cleaning too since my mum has more duties than him (he is a doctor too).
    I have never for once been told that I cannot do something because its not allowed in my religion. I have never been beaten up. I call myself a practising muslim because I pray 5 times a day (on my own will) and have a very strong faith at heart. I do not wear a veil (because it is a CHOICE, women are told in Quran, men cannot persuade them). I wear normal western clothes that aren't very short.
    Where I come from, 95% of the people are muslims, and we are not locked inside homes. We go to school like normal people. Yes, I do have many guy friends, infact my bestfriend is a guy. Islam lets you mingle with men and get to know them (clearly stated in Surah Al-hujrah).
    It does NOT allow killing of any human being under ANY circumstances.
    Jihad simply means to defend oneself. Muslims are NOT allowed to attack any tribe unless they are attacked, they can ONLY fight back in 'defense'. Talibans are not one of us.
    I am not a rare case, from where I come, all the millions of girls like me have the same freedom to make their own choice. Religion is not forced on us.
    This, ofcourse, does not mean that there are no issues at all. Countries like Saudi Arabia are pathetic because they interpret the Quran WRONG. Not letting women drive is just ****ing pathetic. They can't even justify it without sounding stupid.
    The problem is NOT religion, it is how people interpret it.
    Like my dad says Islam is pretty simple - live and let live. Only thing not allowed is killing others and taking anything that'll let you lose your senses or affect your health (i.e. drinking). People only make the religion complicated by bringing in their own views by calling them 'teaching'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Although I generally hate religion. Some of the Muslim people I know are quite possibly the most arrogant, stubborn, condescending, backward and contradictory people I've ever met!
    And?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Religion doesn't hold me back. I am a contributing member society, studied Biology etc. Its an urban myth to say Religion holds us back when there are millions of atheists out there trying to prove Religion as false.
    What of the millions of women forced out of education and made to cover up their entire bodies under Khamenei's hardline regime in Iran? Where even a lock of uncovered hair is declared fitna?

This is not merely cultural, this is religious AND cultural. If Iran were secular or atheist, they would not be required to do so. Thus, their religion holds them back.

It may be an extreme religion in a highly repressed culture, but it is the religion.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miraclefish)
    Catholicism burned thousands of innocent women as witches and has consistently covered up child abuse and silenced those who most needed help at the worst time in their life.

Isn't that evil?
    Science has killed thousands of innocent animals, doesn't mean its evil. Just one part of the picture.

By the way, your comment doesn't make sense. Link me to where it says that beaviour is condoned in the Bible.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheep)
    read about a lot of the things it teaches, they even still teach that water and salt can not be mixed in one of the top muslim-only private schools in Britain because apparently it says so in the Qu'ran
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ5fLCwyDig

Watch this extract from some old discovery channel programme from about 1:30

Point proven.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS*)
    And?
    What it's not obvious? That's why the religion disliked. It's hard to co-operate with Muslims. Most of them are very much segregated from the rest of society.

The Qur'an makes the Bible look like a playboy magazine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What of the millions of women forced out of education and made to cover up their entire bodies under Khamenei's hardline regime in Iran? Where even a lock of uncovered hair is declared fitna?

This is not merely cultural, this is religious AND cultural. If Iran were secular or atheist, they would not be required to do so. Thus, their religion holds them back.

It may be an extreme religion in a highly repressed culture, but it is the religion.
    Woah, woah, woah. You are mixing two different things here.

Firstly, what women are forced out of their education in Iran? Where are you getting this from?

Secondly, it is due to religion, but a cultural misinterpretation of it. The Qu'ran promotes modesty, and the term 'hijab' does not mean 'cover your hair'. Khamenei is foolish, and not all his laws do not reflect the those of Islam.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Science has killed thousands of innocent animals, doesn't mean its evil. Just one part of the picture.

By the way, your comment doesn't make sense. Link me to where it says that beaviour is condoned in the Bible.
    Religion is simply the words in a particular holy book, you realise? It's about the entire organisation, from individual followers all the way up through to the leading figure, and every single one of their actions inclusively.

No, science hasn't killed anything. People following different branches of study have, and some of those are evil or hold people back.

But the thing about science? It requires proof; the antithesis of religion. Science demands that you question it. Religion forbids it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Religion is simply the words in a particular holy book, you realise? It's about the entire organisation, from individual followers all the way up through to the leading figure, and every single one of their actions inclusively.

No, science hasn't killed anything. People following different branches of study have, and some of those are evil or hold people back.

But the thing about science? It requires proof; the antithesis of religion. Science demands that you question it. Religion forbids it.
    Oh stop with your nonsense and give me the link to where it says it condones such behaviour.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS*)
    Haha! Have YOU read Qu'ran passages? And I mean real ones, not 'translated' ones that you get on anti-Islam sites?

I don't usually feel the need to comment on threads regarding religion, but I love how you try to make out how you know that Islam is wrong and everyone else who doesn't hasn't read the Qu'ran or whatever.

As for the 'water and science can't mix' thing, what are you talking about? Link me, or have some evidence.

Going back to the topic of this thread, OP, I think that people have the wrong perception of Islam, and this is clearly reflected on TSR. Furthermore, I feel that people on here love to follow the crowd, make witty comments and what-not just to get their wee positive rep. Sheeesh.
    Richard Dawkins actually did a documentary sort of thing where he went to what is regarded as the top Islamic school in Britain, he went into a science class and they were openly teaching that it is impossible to mix salt and water lol, he said he just wanted to show them but they wouldn't let him lol

There are loads of passages in the Qu'ran that promote violence against non-believers etc, why don't you just use google

Why do you think people like the Taliban do what they do, they are simply the ones who take the Qu'ran a bit more seriously instead of just disregarding the wacky parts like the average muslim does lol
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, the 1% that you highlight, dissect and twist to make your point justified. That 1%.
    Highlight, dissect and twist? Well, I can assure you, I've not modified this page in any way...

http://www.cmje.org/religious-texts/...mt.php#002.191
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    What it's not obvious? That's why the religion disliked. It's hard to co-operate with Muslims. Most of them are very much segregated from the rest of society.

The Qu'ran makes the Bible look like a playboy magazine.
    Are you being serious? How can you generalise over 2 billion people like that? 'Most of them'?! Have you met most of them?

NO. Then stop talking trash, and stop insulting billions of people. You haven't read the Qu'ran either, have you? Your point is based on nothing but ignorance. How embarrassing...for you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS*)

Firstly, what women are forced out of their education in Iran? Where are you getting this from?

Secondly, it is due to religion, but a cultural misinterpretation of it. The Qu'ran promotes modesty, and the term 'hijab' does not mean 'cover your hair'. Khamenei is foolish, and not all his laws do not reflect the those of Islam.
    I agree with this. I am a muslim girl. I have never covered my head. Neither has my mother nor my grandma. I am from pakistan and people barely cover themselves up there. Its rarely seen in smaller villages. I have never had anything to me for 'not covering up'
    It's not written in Quran that I must cover up - it was said to be for security reasons and men have been CLEARLY told not to impose this on women.
    It's just interpreted wrong.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS*)

For the past thirty years, since the Iranian revolution, women have been hugely marginalised and it is now very rare for any to be educated past secondary school. In Afghanistan, just last week, a school for girls had its water supply poisoned by hardliners who are opposed to female education.

A cultural misinterpretation of a religion is still a part of that religion. And there have been hundreds of these terrible misinterpretations as part of every religion known to the world.

Without religion, people would have to decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong. Now wouldn't that be a wonderful world?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh stop with your nonsense and give me the link to where it says it condones such behaviour.
    Not everything in this world boils down to an easily digestible link.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS*)

I agree with this. I am a muslim girl. I have never covered my head. Neither has my mother nor my grandma. I am from pakistan and people barely cover themselves up there. Its rarely seen in smaller villages. I have never had anything happen to me for 'not covering up'
    It's not written in Quran that I must cover up - it was said to be for security reasons and men have been CLEARLY told not to impose this on women.
    It's just interpreted wrong.

If any of you is going to claim they know better than me - who has been living their all my life - please let me refer you to a dozen american social activists who live there (since forever now) and they'll tell you the exact same thing.
Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.