The Student Room Group

The Big Liverpool Veterinary School Q & A thread.

Hello, seeing as I saw a Bristol one, and in light with recent changes to the curriculum and also a new city vet school location I thought I'd create this thread for any potential applicants to ask questions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What changed to the curriculum are there?? and wheres the vet school going?? Is it still near the rest of liverpool unis? aaaannnd whens the new vet school location opening??
Reply 2
The current vet school is getting knocked down to make room for luxury accommodation. The new one (which is the pre-clinical teaching) in Liverpool is just moving to another bit of the campus known as the TY building. They're building a new state of the art dissection room, and it's a new 20 million investment so a bit exciting :biggrin:. Changes to the curriculum are a bit hazy at the moment but in progress with clinical integrated teaching from day one, and a change to the current PCEMS system to more choice placements etc. It should be ready for the new intake in September and currently on schedule :smile:.
Reply 3
Oh cool :tongue: where about is the TY building I want to take a lookie next time I go into Liverpool :smile:
Reply 4
Its opposite the civil engineering building I think. From the main road opposite tescos go through the arch straight across the road, and look straight across the square and it's the building off to the left across the other end of the square. Thats not where the dissection room is though, thats a 2 minute walk from there or so, I'm not sure where it is, but theres a map/plan of the new buildings been put up in the vet building :smile:. On that note, the blackwells book shop on campus, all the way to the end of the vet building and the tagged on vet practice is being knocked down.
Reply 5
Original post by skatealexia
Its opposite the civil engineering building I think. From the main road opposite tescos go through the arch straight across the road, and look straight across the square and it's the building off to the left across the other end of the square. Thats not where the dissection room is though, thats a 2 minute walk from there or so, I'm not sure where it is, but theres a map/plan of the new buildings been put up in the vet building :smile:. On that note, the blackwells book shop on campus, all the way to the end of the vet building and the tagged on vet practice is being knocked down.

Oh no not the bookshop :'( I love that bookshop even though its a bit over priced at times :P
Reply 6
A bit??? More like a lot :P
Changes to the curriculum are a bit hazy at the moment but in progress with clinical integrated teaching from day one, and a change to the current PCEMS system to more choice placements etc. It should be ready for the new intake in September and currently on schedule :smile:.

I've just been told the new curriculum won't be introduced this September :frown:
Reply 8
Oh no, that's annoying! Well hopefully, the changes to the current pcems system will still apply...
Oh no, that's annoying! Well hopefully, the changes to the current pcems system will still apply...

Yes, the PCEMS changes do apply; I'm a first year and have been moved to the new system in the past couple of weeks. For those of you who don't know, in the past it was highly prescriptive as to what days you had to do and where, and you had to complete PCEMS in years 1-2 before starting clinical EMS in 3rd year. Written reports from those placements were assessed.

Now, you have to do the same amount of weeks, but can start doing clinical placements from year one (it is recommended we do just 2 weeks at a vet practise, and 6 weeks PCEMS in year 1). We have now got more choice on where we can go to do our placements which is much better, and also more flexibility in the time scale. The written reports are no longer part of the formal assessment in year 2 -- ie no coursework! We do need to still make notes though, for our own benefit.
Reply 10
Jealous of you first years! Not that I'm not proud of my reports. :P
Jealous of you first years! Not that I'm not proud of my reports. :P

Might made our 2h exam a bit longer though!? Unless the marks will be weighted more. At least you don't have to worry about them any more now that you've done them :wink: Plus we feel like guinea pigs at this stage because nit picky details are still being changed from what they told us initially! But so far all changes they are making are all positive ones that work in our favour :smile:

I think they've introduced an animal handling practical component to the module too -- not sure if you did or didn't do this? I believe this involves turning sheep, putting head collars on horses etc. which may be interesting because at my lambing placement, unless they were in pens, it took two to catch those wild ewes so I don't look forward to doing this on my own!
Reply 12
Sounds interesting though and not too difficult! :smile:. We didn't have to do that. The weights will be weighted more in the exam I think, for us its currently 60% exam, 40% other.
Reply 13
What is the "deadline" for work experience to be done by/counted? As in say I did work experience in November would that count in the total ? Do they send out a work experience questionnaire and if so when?
Reply 14
Original post by m.ben
What is the "deadline" for work experience to be done by/counted? As in say I did work experience in November would that count in the total ? Do they send out a work experience questionnaire and if so when?

I'm pretty sure last year they counted it till December then had a seperate secton for things you are doing after December or things you had to cancel
Original post by m.ben

Last year questionnaires has sections of "seeing practise", "vets" and "husbandry", "alternative husbandry" and you could list a limited no of placements under each section (15 each last year so plenty of space for most people)

I got my questionnaire on the 2nd Nov 2010, and had 2 weeks to fill it out from that date. I think you could fill out placements until December. There was a section for "incomplete placements" where you could list up to 3 that you intend to do from January.

I had 19.4 weeks which were counted, roughly half vet and half husbandry. Unfortunately, "alternative husbandry" such as zoos and wildlife centres can only count as one weeks, even if you did more than that.

Hope that helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Last year questionnaires has sections of "seeing practise", "vets" and "husbandry", "alternative husbandry" and you could list a limited no of placements under each section (15 each last year so plenty of space for most people)

I got my questionnaire on the 2nd Nov 2010, and had 2 weeks to fill it out from that date. I think you could fill out placements until December. There was a section for "incomplete placements" where you could list up to 3 that you intend to do from January.

I had 19.4 weeks which were counted, roughly half vet and half husbandry. Unfortunately, "alternative husbandry" such as zoos and wildlife centres can only count as one weeks, even if you did more than that.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much! Helps a lot :smile: so you mean 6 weeks in a zoo for example only counts as 1 week? Same for rspca work?
Original post by m.ben
Thank you very much! Helps a lot :smile: so you mean 6 weeks in a zoo for example only counts as 1 week? Same for rspca work?

Look at old emails, they say that alternative husbandry:

This section is for NON-*‐VETERINARY placements involving non-core work experience. These include abattoirs, laboratories, zoos, wildlife rescue centres etc. Each placement can count for a maximum of 1 weekpast and 1 week recent.

As for RSPCA, if the majority of the work you saw was cat/dog/equine/small furries than I think that'll still count as 6 weeks as that is classified as animal husbandry.
I might add that, this is what it was like LAST YEAR - it may NOT be the same this year and I know 2nd time applicants have told me that their forms were a little bit different than the one I did.

Hope this helps :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I might add that, this is what it was like LAST YEAR - it may NOT be the same this year and I know 2nd time applicants have told me that their forms were a little bit different than the one I did.

Hope this helps :wink:

Thanks so much for your help :smile: the I will have over 4 weeks with RSPCA, which is a centre for dogs, cats etc so hopefully that would count if I apply there :smile: Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending