Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do we need war?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 16-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was walking in a park, and saw a Hiroshima memorial; got me thinking: do we need war? (based on the definition of more than 1,000 ppl killed, armed forces)

There's Nazi Germany- we needed the war to stop Hitler- but at the cost of several thousands if not millions of civilians.

So, I pose this question:
    Do we need war? or just stick to diplomacy?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Diplomacy is fantastic, but at the end of the day it all just amounts to words and persuasion.

As much as I hate it, sadly I think there is probably always going to be a need for military action to be a possibility in resolving some of the tougher issues in the world.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes we need war!

How else do we eliminate the scum? Stupid question.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, but I think few people who need to go to war want to.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, sadly, it is necessary to fight fire with fire.

It's the last tool of diplomacy and should only ever be a last resort.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately in many cases, such as in WW2, war is a necessary evil. There's a famous quote, can't remember where it comes from, roman times maybe, 'Let he who desires peace prepare for war'.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butter_god)
    I was walking in a park, and saw a Hiroshima memorial; got me thinking: do we need war? (based on the definition of more than 1,000 ppl killed, armed forces)

There's Nazi Germany- we needed the war to stop Hitler- but at the cost of several thousands if not millions of civilians.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that war is always some kind of official state of affairs that is one of a number of options presented to the leader of a country during an international crisis. That's sometimes how it happens - but more often than not, war is a natural reaction like heat+oxygen+fuel=fire.

Sure - there's "Saddam doesn't abide by UN resolutions - let's go to war".

But for every one of those, there will be an act of unprovoked aggression leading to an almost automatic war. After Pearl Harbour - where was the scope for diplomacy?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you read this? Gives a pretty interesting spin on it. :holmes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0151660387.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	144191

War is peace, Freedom is slavery, Ignorance is strength
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    But for every one of those, there will be an act of unprovoked aggression leading to an almost automatic war. After Pearl Harbour - where was the scope for diplomacy?
    Where do you stand on the falklands war?

I personally thing that too was an automatic response, they attack us we attack them. Can't understand how some people think we should have done nothing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    You seem to be under the misapprehension that war is always some kind of official state of affairs that is one of a number of options presented to the leader of a country during an international crisis. That's sometimes how it happens - but more often than not, war is a natural reaction like heat+oxygen+fuel=fire.

Sure - there's "Saddam doesn't abide by UN resolutions - let's go to war".

I know people who always state that war isn't needed ect- so that's why I'm posing the question. I happen to believe it is necessary in some cases- sometimes totally unnecessary. I mean, look at the Iraq war; only done in pre-emptive defence they (US) say: but had they actually done their research, there were no weapons ect.

War is a necessary evil, but only when all other resources have been wiped out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love war - without it COD wouldn’t have been made
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

WAR!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyronGainesworth)
    I love war - without it COD wouldn’t have been made
    unfortunately, it's not possible to neg you twice in a row.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    War is necessary and will exist for as long as human conflict exists. I only foresee a radical shift in human beings' perception of war and conflict when human beings bring the entire human race to the brink of oblivion through war. Maybe then shall we learn.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately, it's not possible to neg you twice in a row.
    Unfortunately I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as you.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes war is inevitable and is necessary. If there was a war which I agreed with both politically and morally I would definitely fight for my country.

I personally agree with this quote by Ernest Hemingway , ''Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified is not a crime''.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as you.
    You mean monkey? Go for it mate. OO AA.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arnoob)
    Sometimes war is inevitable and is necessary. If there was a war which I agreed with both politically and morally I would definitely fight for my country.

I personally agree with this quote by Ernest Hemingway , ''Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified is not a crime''.
    I do like that quote- but isn't all war = crime- I wonder how leaders ect. could even justify the death toll? I would imagine they would be signing a different tune if their kid died, or was injured.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You mean monkey? Go for it mate. OO AA.
    you only insulted yourself here too. I said I belong to the same species as you...

strong reading comprehension is strong
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    you only insulted yourself here too. I said I belong to the same species as you...

strong reading comprehension is strong
    I happen to accept the theory of evolution, hence you could do with a bit of self acceptance too.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.