Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black (Asian too) and/or British?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyramidologist)
    If a German couple has a child in Australia, does it make them an Australian Aborigine?
    The child would be considered to be Australian. Most here are using the term 'British' as nationality.

On the issue of it being an ethnic group you need to see the criteria for being part of that particular ethnicity. For example, a lot of Jewish people today are not racially or linguistically similar to the original Jewish populace. However, they're still considered part of the Jewish ethnicity.

While invasions from mainland Europe may not have had significant racial admixture (I'm taking your word on this) they have had cultural and linguistic influence. It all depends on how you define 'British' as an ethnicity.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceStrawbs)
    Oh my gosh I'm on my phone and tried to thumb up you and got the neg button - I totally agree with you though!
    Oh well, don't worry about it; and thanks
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    Many of the students I have come across are from small towns/villages and haven't been exposed to black and Asian people. The South West has the lowest number of ethnic minorities so many of the locals aren't used to it either. You should see the looks I get when I walk around with a picked out afro.
    Aw, are you there for uni?

(Original post by TRS-T)
    No you're not.

Your parents are Nigerian.

You are British.
    Don't tell him what he is and isn't.

(Original post by PinkyQT)
    Why?
    Because it isn't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    Don't tell him what he is and isn't.
    I'll do what I want.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Why do you think Nigeria is a crap country?
    -Crap electricity- always switches off
    -Open gutters
    -Juju men
    - Bumpy roads
    -Poor education
    - Poverty
    - Don't get me started on the corrupt government
    - Home of fraud (419)
    - Mosquito
    - Quality of entertainment (the tv shows quality)

That's all I can think about for now. You cant deny this. All my family agree with me when I say this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Quick question, Have you actually been to Nigeria? I'm also off Nigerian heritage myself.
    Yes I have been to Nigeria.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm nigerian and i would never live there sorry..
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I class myself as Asian-British, because I am by ethnicity Asian, by passport- British.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have been to Nigeria.
    I know I've been there, I'll be honest some parts are decent, but mostly it's not in a good sate.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    I know I've been there, I'll be honest some parts are decent, but mostly it's not in a good sate.
    What part do you think is decent? I only think Victoria island is and the rest are crap.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Pretty much Victoria Island, I went to Port Harcourt & Warri, they're crap and that's me being nice. I heard Abuja is better.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    -Crap electricity- always switches off
    -Open gutters
    -Juju men
    - Bumpy roads
    -Poor education
    - Poverty
    - Don't get me started on the corrupt government
    - Home of fraud (419)
    - Mosquito
    - Quality of entertainment (the tv shows quality)

That's all I can think about for now. You cant deny this. All my family agree with me when I say this.
    Yep! Pretty much summarised Nigeria, my parent always complain about these problems. The tv shows over there are :facepalm2:.
    • 166 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Yes you can have Black British.
    But no one (really) would consider them as actual British people.

When you think of a Briton, you think of a white person. There is nothing wrong with that.
    • 166 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Lol if you're so academic how can you have never heard the phrase 'Black British'
    People say it in an ironic/sarcastic sense. Never would you really see someone call themselves "Black British" in a serious manner. They would get laughed and ridiculed (and heckled even?) by indigenous white British people.
    • 166 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pupcraze)
    Australian

but asian chinese
    No, you are Chinese. No one would consider you as Australian. First impression of you: Chinese.
    • 166 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
    I class myself as Asian-British, because I am by ethnicity Asian, by passport- British.
    No you are Asian. When people first see you they think "Asian", not British.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    People say it in an ironic/sarcastic sense. Never would you really see someone call themselves "Black British" in a serious manner. They would get laughed and ridiculed (and heckled even?) by indigenous white British people.
    Yeah nobody ever says black British in a serious manner except for every time they ever fill out for a form which asks for nationality you ****ing loser, black British is the accepted term for black people living in Britain
    • 166 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah nobody ever says black British in a serious manner except for every time they ever fill out for a form which asks for nationality you ****ing loser, black British is the accepted term for black people living in Britain
    Not according to indigenous white people it isn't.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Not according to indigenous white people it isn't.
    What's that meant to mean, you're the elected voice of the indigenous white population of this country? On the census, it says black British.
    • 166 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's that meant to mean, you're the elected voice of the indigenous white population of this country? On the census, it says black British.
    Census doesn't reflect the opinions of real life and real British people.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 18, 2013
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.