The Student Room Group

Black (Asian too) and/or British?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
No you are not British. You are black.

Is that so?
So I was born in a British country, in British hospital, to British parents, I've been schooled in the British education system, I travel with a British travel card, I go on holiday using my British passport etc. The list is endless as regards to things which confirm my British nationality.

You, on the other hand, have no substantial argument, just a campaign solidified within yourself which is just pointless. Maybe try to actually digest what people have told you, rather than instinctively countering what they say with childishness, and maybe accept that you are in the wrong.
Original post by tamil4
You can be 'kuffars' with morals I'm pretty sure

We can? Gee, thanks!
Original post by LethalBeans
Is that so?
So I was born in a British country, in British hospital, to British parents, I've been schooled in the British education system, I travel with a British travel card, I go on holiday using my British passport etc. The list is endless as regards to things which confirm my British nationality.

You, on the other hand, have no substantial argument, just a campaign solidified within yourself which is just pointless. Maybe try to actually digest what people have told you, rather than instinctively countering what they say with childishness, and maybe accept that you are in the wrong.

But when people first see you, despite all of that, they will think of you as black, not British.
But no one (really) would consider them as actual British people.

When you think of a Briton, you think of a white person. There is nothing wrong with that.

I think the terms 'Briton' and 'British' are slightly different. I'm Black British, but I wouldn't call myself Black Briton.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
People say it in an ironic/sarcastic sense. Never would you really see someone call themselves "Black British" in a serious manner. They would get laughed and ridiculed (and heckled even?) by indigenous white British people.

It is actually a term, not ironic or sarcastic or banter.
Original post by gapyearstudent
if your grandparents moved here wouldn't that make your parents 1st generation black british and you 2nd gen???

Essentially yes, but my grandparents are British citizens too and have lived in Britain for the majority of their lives so I consider them to be Black British too.
Original post by Kruz
Yep! Pretty much summarised Nigeria, my parent always complain about these problems. The tv shows over there are :facepalm2:.

I presume you wouldn't like to live there...

I wouldn't...unless it was somewhere like Abuja...my mum asked me if I ever wanted to live there...and I was thinking nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She and my dad want to go back, but I have no plans to at all.
No you are not British. You are black.

I haven't read all your posts but what would you think of a German couple who comes to the UK and has kids here. Would the kids not be British?
It's for black people's safety that they do not refer to themselves as "Black British".

Really?

Why?
Original post by chronic_fatigue
I haven't read all your posts but what would you think of a German couple who comes to the UK and has kids here. Would the kids not be British?

That's up to what the general opinion of the indigenous white people think. But if they look British, speak British, sound British - they might as well be British.
But when people first see you, despite all of that, they will think of you as black, not British.

But if I were to actually hold a conversation with them they would hear my London accent and acknowledge that I'm British; the same as if I had an African accent they would acknowledge that I'm African.

I think you need to understand that we aren't trying to steal your link to your ancestors but whether you like it or not, ethnic minorities are now part of British society.

So why not call yourself White British of indigenous British descent, if that would please you?
Reply 231
Original post by Dee Leigh
I think the terms 'Briton' and 'British' are slightly different. I'm Black British, but I wouldn't call myself Black Briton.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Please, don't argue with people like this. Only gives them more reason to put similar stupid opinions
Original post by Dee Leigh
Really?

Why?

You don't want the white indigenous British people giving you verbal/physical abuse. It's offensive to call yourself British when you're not.

I'm sure this is true and that when people see me, they'll immediately identify me as Indian instead of "British." I'm OK with that tbh, it's not really offensive.

However, as someone of Indian descent but was born and raised here I don't consider myself just "Indian". It doesn't sit right considering that I've always embraced Britain as my home. So this is where the "British Indian" thing comes in.

I think it's very easy for someone on the outside to say that we don't belong to one culture or another (yes you do get Indians who live in India who think we are more "English" than "Indian"), but to actually experience the dynamics between the two cultures is another matter altogether. It's actually pretty cool when you don't have someone with nothing better to do sneering at your genetic makeup :smile:
Original post by J DOT A
If white girls want to dress and act like kuffars then they will be treated as one. They can see the misguided lives they lead and convert to the true religion of Islam, or be continued to be made an example of. This goes to all the white people who think that this is thier country; this is Allahs (swt) world, and we muslims will occupy it.

There is no such thing as British or any other nationality...only muslim or non muslim.

Original post by J DOT A
I am guessing you are white and a kuffar. If you are, be noted that WE will occupy your lands, and we will convert those to true religion of God. There is no black/white/brown, there is only one that unites us all and that is Allah(swt).
Those Pakistani men that were accused of "rape" were doing you white girls a favour, showing you the true ways of allah (swt), and if you do not convert/practise then unfortunatley you will be treated like a kuffar.

Allah hu akbar.

Now this is this kind of thing is I was mentioning before :mad:
You don't want the white indigenous British people giving you verbal/physical abuse. It's offensive to call yourself British when you're not.

I am British.

That is a fact and it is not offensive.
Original post by tamil4
Not necessarily, I know so many British blacks/Asians who don't share the typical black or Asian attitudes and values. They fall pretty close to white attitudes. So not all non-whites can be generalised as having different views. I'm not saying their english but still British.
I thought the term 'British' isn't meant to take into account race, religion etc :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Same here, myself included.
Original post by dgeorge
Please, don't argue with people like this. Only gives them more reason to put similar stupid opinions

Lol true. Good point.

There are some dumb nutters on here.

No it is not offensive. I am Black British.

Listen, you are not my parent/bodyguard/chaperone, you don't even know me so let me worry about my safety, yeah?
I've often wondered about this.
What about an orthodox Jew who came here in say the 50's? Would they be considered truly British, even though their clothing and language suggest otherwise?
Are they more British than a black person who's family have been here since the turn of the century?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending