Original post by lucaf
Black is an ethnicity, British is a nationality

This :yep:
Original post by Pyramidologist
British is an ethnicity.

No it is not.

It is a nationality.
Reply 43
I like it :smile: I have sunday roasts, but with rice n peas and jerk chicken :colondollar:
Original post by A Perfect Circle
It's really depends on where you look to be honest.

My parents were born in India before they came over here to have me and my siblings.

My passport says that I'm British, but my doctor's application form says I must tick Indian, seeing as the closest option to British is White British. The key difference is that the passport refers to Nationality and the application refers to Ethnicity.

Personally I consider Nationality far more important (although I understand why doctors need to know ethnicity - for their records and the fact that certain ethnic groups are more/less prone to certain diseases).

Britain has been responsible for me and has represented me all my life. It's taken care of my health and my education. I think it would be quite rude of me to ignore this and pledge allegiance to a country I've visited a handful of times.

this exactly to be honest! I consider myself to be very British in fact
Reply 45
I was born and raised in England, which means I am BRITISH (I'm Indian).

However, I consider myself Indian first then British.
Reply 46
No that's not true. To be British you have to descend from the indigenous British peoples. British is an ethnicity.

Just because any old immigrant can get a passport with ''British'' written on it, doesn't make them real/ethnic British. I could get an Australian passport, but would that make me an Australian aborigine? Of course not. Its exactly the same with UK.

Indigenous British people? You mean these? If so, most people who you'd class as 'indigenous Brits' aren't even so. The English for example, aren't even descendents of the 'original' British people.
Original post by Dee Leigh
No it is not.

It is a nationality.

Wrong. British is an ethnicity, just like Chinese, Japanese, Dutch, French and so on. These are ethnic groups.

If you don't descend from the indigenous peoples here, then quite simply you aren't British, you are an immigrant.
Reply 48
You can be Black and British.

You can be Black and English nationally but not ethnically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ethnic_groups#E
Original post by Gales
Indigenous British people? You mean these? If so, most people who you'd class as 'indigenous Brits' aren't even so. The English for
example, aren't even descendents of the 'original' British people.

Indigenous British (''White British'') have been here since the Ice Age.

Immigrants such as Blacks etc only arrived after Empire Windrush, when the British Empire collapsed and Britain opened its borders up to other ethnic groups and races.

Blacks in Britain don't have a history here for more than about 50 or 60 years.

In contrast the indigenous British have been here since the Ice Age, 12,000 years or more. Just look up the genetics which has proven this.
Reply 50
Original post by Dee Leigh
No it is not.

It is a nationality.

Actually, it is also an ethnicity, if you are talking factually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ethnic_groups#B

(Scroll down to "British")
I suppose for many I would be considered "Indian" before being "British" because of my ethnicity. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, I consider it a nod towards my cultural heritage.

However, seeing as I was born here, raised here, and educated here I would never drop the "British" bit, therefore I'm "British Indian". I don't really give a **** if people disagree with that tbh.
Original post by Gales
Indigenous British people? You mean these? If so, most people who you'd class as 'indigenous Brits' aren't even so. The English for example, aren't even descendents of the 'original' British people.

That is based on Victorian mythology that has been contradicted by actual science.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0719_050719_britishgene.html

What actually happened was cultural and not ethnic displacement. Bloody good thing it happened as well, the Anglo Saxons founded my city of Edinburgh (Edwin's burgh), and the Kingdom of Northumbria of which it was a part. The culture of the original Briton's was awful, it is a much under appreciated invasion, the cultural influence of the Anglo Saxon (and later) were great events, on the same level of the Roman invasion in terms of cultural development.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Cyanohydrin
That is based on Victorian mythology that has been contradicted by actual science.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0719_050719_britishgene.html

What actually happened was cultural and not ethnic displacement. Bloody good thing it happened as well, the Anglo Saxons founded my city of Edinburgh (Edwin's burgh), and the Kingdom of Northumbria of which it was a part.

Either way, saying to be British you have to be descended from the 'indigenous British people' is quite ridiculous
my friend grew up in birmingham and he has an iranian dad. he considers himself very much english, though. but at the same time, he's really patriotic about iranian culture, too. you can be british without ignoring your roots. personally, i don't get why we're so obsessed with having labels for everything
Original post by Gales
Either way, saying to be British you have to be descended from the 'indigenous British people' is quite ridiculous

I don't dispute that. The interesting thing about that study is that the English, Welsh and Scots (natives) are essentially from the same genetic stock (the ice age settlers of this island) but just diverged culturally. Put's a new perspective on relations between the home nations in my opinion. I have always thought if people appreciate the amazing history of the evolution of humans from different species to the first humans of Africa there would be no racism and people would all agree excessive and divisive nationalism is so, so dumb. I actually hate questions like this, it is just a means of putting people in silly boxes.
Reply 56
Wrong. British is an ethnicity, just like Chinese, Japanese, Dutch, French and so on. These are ethnic groups.

If you don't descend from the indigenous peoples here, then quite simply you aren't British, you are an immigrant.

Implying that all non-ethnic British people in the UK are immigrants, classic. :facepalm2:

Do you consider Boris Johnson, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband British?

No it is not.

I'm not of English descent, but I am not an immigrant.

I bet you are an 'immigrant'. Where are you from? What is your ancestry?
Original post by Cyanohydrin
I don't dispute that. The interesting thing about that study is that the English, Welsh and Scots (natives) are essentially from the same genetic stock (the ice age settlers of this island) but just diverged culturally. Put's a new perspective on relations between the home nations in my opinion. I have always thought if people appreciate the amazing history of the evolution of humans from different species to the first humans of Africa there would be no racism and people would all agree excessive and divisive nationalism is so, so dumb. I actually hate questions like this, it is just a means of putting people in silly boxes.

Each land has an indigenous population. By denying these people their identity you are basically supporting their destruction, which is genocidal.

The indigenous people of Britain are the native British (''White British''). We are entitled to our history, identity etc, just like any other ethnic group.
Original post by Tahooper
You can be Black and British.

You can be Black and English nationally but not ethnically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ethnic_groups#E

True.

Quick Reply

Latest