The Student Room Group

Black (Asian too) and/or British?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
But you can have white Americans, but not black British.

Yes you can have Black British.
Original post by PinkyQT
Because I was born here. And Nigeria is a crap country. :s-smilie:

Why do you think Nigeria is a crap country?
im so academic
blah blah some bull****Lol if you're so academic how can you have never heard the phrase 'Black British'
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rippedbanana
dont tell others how to live their lives. just let them live the way they want to live their lives. why bother?

:yep:
Original post by aj2959
I am from a white family, born and bred in Manchester, and proud of it :smile:
I believe that each person's nationality depends - at least partly- on their attitude i.e someone who is from a family of Nigerians but was born in England cannot class themselves as English unless they are proud of this country, respect it and go to work and pay their taxes just likes everyone else (unless they cant work due to disability etc.) It infuriates me when ANYONE slags this country off, if you dont want to be here, go to where you want to be. Also when people class this as 'their country' because they were born here, yet go on to say nothing but bad about it- why bother? go live where you will be happy.

:yep: Yes!!!!

I am so sick and tired of ethnic minorities (some family members included) slagging off this country. To me it just seems so disrespectful and ungrateful when this country is so full of opportunities. Also, the worst people are those who bring their backward cultural practices here, try to impose it on others, and think that they are above the law because of their culture.

If you don't like this country, you know what to do. If you don't want to follow the laws in this country, you know what to do.
Original post by rippedbanana
see how all these posts are telling other people how they should live their lives. how anti-western of them.

Lol I know what you mean?

Why should someone tell me how to identify myself? I can do that all on my own. I know who I am.
Oh I've been down this road. Being an Irish-Indian I would consider myself as British after being born in England, speaking the language, having a British passport and citizenship at birth. If you're born in Britain you're British end of story, I don't see why ethnicity should matter.
Original post by JCC-MGS
Lol if you're so academic how can you have never heard the phrase 'Black British'

Lol! I thought she was supposed to be so academic!
Original post by PierceBrosnan
Oh I've been down this road. Being an Irish-Indian I would consider myself as British after being born in England, speaking the language, having a British passport and citizenship at birth. If you're born in Britain you're British end of story, I don't see why ethnicity should matter.

Nah that's an exception, if you're Irish then you're IRISH, pretty much every geezer I know who has a little Irish in them somewhere down the line describes themselves as Irish like our spiritual name is Sean O'Flanagan and English names are just our clever ruse, we can't help it
Original post by JCC-MGS
Nah that's an exception, if you're Irish then you're IRISH, pretty much every geezer I know who has a little Irish in them somewhere down the line describes themselves as Irish like our spiritual name is Sean O'Flanagan and English names are just our clever ruse, we can't help it

Sean O'Flanagan =). The only thing is I'd say I'm British just to avoid further questioning.
Reply 170
Original post by PierceBrosnan

What if the union breaks up? It's a possibility.
Reply 171
Australian

but asian chinese
Before I go for my exam, here's the definition of "immigrant"nouna person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country:they found it difficult to expel illegal immigrants[as modifier]:immigrant workersan immigrant villagehttp://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/immigrant?q=immigrantIf you were born here, then you have not "come to live permanently in a foreign country" I mean, many people have never even seen their parent's countries...Whilst you might not be ethnically English etc... you are British by nationality by being born here
Original post by Bonged.
What if the union breaks up? It's a possibility.

If the union breaks I would still be British, just to make things easier.
Reply 174
Original post by Ebuwa
Lol I do the opposite. I'm Nigerian and British, I found it difficult when I was in secondary school to call myself British becuase I went to a private school and stuck out. I love my culture and identify more with being Nigerian

Ahh i see, well yeah that's fair enough because of the situation you where in, and you love your culture, that's cool :smile:
Reply 175
Original post by Dee Leigh
:yep: Yes!!!!

I am so sick and tired of ethnic minorities (some family members included) slagging off this country. To me it just seems so disrespectful and ungrateful when this country is so full of opportunities. Also, the worst people are those who bring their backward cultural practices here, try to impose it on others, and think that they are above the law because of their culture.

If you don't like this country, you know what to do. If you don't want to follow the laws in this country, you know what to do.

You've hit the spot.
Original post by LethalBeans
This is how I see it:

My grandparents are from Saint Lucia, Guyana and Kenya; and because of the slave trade and what-not there is also a mixture of portuguese and asian in my ancestry. So I'm technically mixed-race but I don't feel good about being related to a Portuguese slave trader or to an Indian plantation manager so I just say that my race is black. Most people see me as just being black anyway.

Now for me, being British is a nationality, just like with any other country. Personally, my grandparents migrated to the UK around 50 years ago, adopted the British culture and gave birth to Black British children. Thus making me third generation Black British.

Oh my gosh I'm on my phone and tried to thumb up you and got the neg button - I totally agree with you though!
Original post by PinkyQT
Because I was born here. And Nigeria is a crap country. :s-smilie:

Quick question, Have you actually been to Nigeria? I'm also off Nigerian heritage myself.
Reply 178
Original post by Pyramidologist
If a German couple has a child in Australia, does it make them an Australian Aborigine?

The child would be considered to be Australian. Most here are using the term 'British' as nationality.

On the issue of it being an ethnic group you need to see the criteria for being part of that particular ethnicity. For example, a lot of Jewish people today are not racially or linguistically similar to the original Jewish populace. However, they're still considered part of the Jewish ethnicity.

While invasions from mainland Europe may not have had significant racial admixture (I'm taking your word on this) they have had cultural and linguistic influence. It all depends on how you define 'British' as an ethnicity.
Original post by AliceStrawbs
Oh my gosh I'm on my phone and tried to thumb up you and got the neg button - I totally agree with you though!

Oh well, don't worry about it; and thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending