The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jaydiee
The only reason your housemates didn't tidy up is because they knew you would do it for them. If you had left it then it would get to a point where they thought they should clear it up themselves.

Yes, that's my point.
Reply 41
If she uses the bin, she should take it out.

Politely request that she either takes her turn in taking it out as soon as it is full, or she simply uses the bin in her own room.
Reply 42
Original post by NB_ide
It's extremely hard to settle on such a thing because it's all so subjective. Even if you force each other into a rota with scheduled (rather than needs-based) cleaning, people will undertake their allocated task to their own standards, perceiving the job to be done while the cleaner housemate may consider it still "dirty".

Stop trying to be awkward.

If living in private accommodation it really comes down to the standard of cleanliness expected of the landlord and this should be stated in a licence agreement (which, in this respect, will be nothing more than the bin being when full/every other day).

If bins are being left full and this is causing problems with maggots, then it's a health and safety issue and the is the risk of attracting rats and mice, which all housemates will held responsible for when it is only one causing the problem.
Reply 43
Original post by River85
Stop trying to be awkward.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

If living in private accommodation it really comes down to the standard of cleanliness expected of the landlord and this should be stated in a licence agreement

Mine just says something vague like "keep the house in good condition" etc.
Pretty meaningless.

(which, in this respect, will be nothing more than the bin being when full/every other day).

If bins are being left full and this is causing problems with maggots, then it's a health and safety issue and the is the risk of attracting rats and mice, which all housemates will held responsible for when it is only one causing the problem.

A bin being left full is everyone's fault. If a bin is left full then who emptied it? No one did. The dirty housemate can't be bothered and the OP thinks she's done it enough and shouldn't do it again, either way they don't want to empty the bin and there you get a problem.
Reply 44
I mean you're trying to be a smart arse but failing.

Original post by NB_ide

Mine just says something vague like "keep the house in good condition" etc.
Pretty meaningless.

"Good condition" is not leaving rubbish out, causing a minor maggot infestation and potentially causing a rat or mouse infestation, as this is a health issue and can also cause considerable damage to the house (by rats/mice).

I'm sure most landlords will be happy to clarify what he or she means by "good condition".

A bin being left full is everyone's fault. If a bin is left full then who emptied it? No one did. The dirty housemate can't be bothered and the OP thinks she's done it enough and shouldn't do it again, either way they don't want to empty the bin and there you get a problem.

It sounds as the OP frequently empties the bin but gets tired of it. The one time it did cause a problem the OP was not present in the house, therefore it was not his or her fault.

If the bin is from the housemate's room, and is full of rubbish from that one housemate, then he or she should take responsibility. It is not fair for him or her to expect housemates to clean up his or her mess although, ultimately, yes the OP must still take part-responsiblity for emptying it. This still doesn't mean it's fair or acceptable behaviour, however.

So the OP, realising that he or she is the one left to empty the bin, is asking for help in dealing with the problem.

Stop being awkward and trying to cause arguments.

If this was not cleaning the toilet every day. Or not cleaning the oven/grill out after a fry up. Or even leaving used dishes unwashed for a day then, yes, you might have a point with regard to expecting someone to live up to a certain personal standard of cleaning. But it's not. It's rubbish which can cause potentially serious problems in a relatively short period of time.
Reply 45
Original post by River85
I mean you're trying to be a smart arse but failing.

Stop being awkward and trying to cause arguments.

you mustn't assume that people presenting different ideas or opinions to yours are being intentionally awkward and faking it just to cause trouble.

People really do see things differently to each other!
Original post by NB_ide
I'd take the bin out for me.

There probably aren't any "rules" and if there are they'll be vague and subjective.

If the OP didn't take the bin out, eventually her housemate would. The OP just always does it sooner, because she has a lower tolerance for full bins and rubbish around the house. If the OP left the house then maybe the dirty person would be the new clean person, and someone even dirtier would move in and then the roles would be reversed. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Your argument only works to a certain extent, because you're forgetting a fairly fundamental point of principle. People should pull their weight, and the minimum weight to be pulled is, I would hope, set above what is necessary to avoid infestation of the house. Sure, if there's one clean freak who wants everything spotless then the onus is on them to make it so or deal with a more reasonable standard of cleanliness. But when you have maggots in the kitchen, that is simply unreasonable, not to mention a health issue. It's not reasonable that the OP should go beyond the call of duty simply to avoid contracting some form of disease.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by TurboCretin
Your argument only works to a certain extent, because you're forgetting a fairly fundamental point of principle. People should pull their weight.

That's just another subjective term. Who in the house should decide whether they are or not?
Original post by NB_ide
That's just another subjective term. Who in the house should decide whether they are or not?

It's not subjective. You should clean up what you generate. In a house where everyone generates about the same amount of rubbish and washing up, it may be more efficient to instate a rota rather than everyone washing one plate per meal or having to segregate their own rubbish. But it is worth bearing in mind that that is a system set up only for convenience, and on the assumption that everyone has more or less the same output. If one person is producing far more rubbish or washing up than anyone else, it is not fair to divide the work equally, never mind those with higher standards bearing the full burden.

Main point: you clean up what you make dirty, or a proportionate amount of what everyone does. Pulling one's weight is not subjective, nor is it arbitrary. It is relative, but that poses no difficulty for working out when somebody is no longer doing it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
It's not subjective. You should clean up what you generate. In a house where everyone generates about the same amount of rubbish and washing up, it may be more efficient to instate a rota rather than everyone washing one plate per meal or having to segregate their own rubbish. But it is worth bearing in mind that that is a system set up only for convenience, and on the assumption that everyone has more or less the same standards and output. If one person is producing far more rubbish or washing up than anyone else, it is not fair to divide the work equally.

Main point: you clean up what you make dirty, or a requisite amount of it. Pulling one's weight is not subjective, nor is it arbitrary. It is relative, but that poses no difficulty for working out when somebody is no longer doing it.

If in theory we could divide cleaning tasks into equal portions, one part per housemate, to whose standards should the cleaning be done? Let's say a bathroom needs cleaning once per week, to standard A, to satisfy the cleanest housemate; and once per month, to standard Z, to satisfy the dirtiest. In a house of four, what sort of rota do you think would be fair and who should have the final say as to whether the bathroom has been successfully "cleaned" each time?
Reply 50
New idea; why don't you just take the bin out every time. No need to get worked up, there's only 3 months to go, so just do it. It takes less than a minute, right? Just make the decision that you're going to be the person to take the bin out, and do it. It's not fair, but is it worth getting angry about? I think not.
Original post by NB_ide
If in theory we could divide cleaning tasks into equal portions, one part per housemate, to whose standards should the cleaning be done? Let's say a bathroom needs cleaning once per week, to standard A, to satisfy the cleanest housemate; and once per month, to standard Z, to satisfy the dirtiest. In a house of four, what sort of rota do you think would be fair and who should have the final say as to whether the bathroom has been successfully "cleaned" each time?

Your hypothetical is missing the vital ingredient: Z's standard would give everyone typhoid. Once you take account of that, I think the question answers itself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
lmao women are so groce
Reply 53
Your hypothetical is missing the vital ingredient: Z's standard would give everyone typhoid. Once you take account of that, I think the question answers itself.

I didn't specify that, but to clarify - standard Z will not give anyone typoid or any other disease. Even if in my hypothetical situation it did (which would be quite apart from any realistic scenario), that only tells us one way the bathroom cleaning shouldn't be managed but not how it should be managed.

Please continue and explain how you think this model household should manage the task of cleaning the bathroom.
Original post by NB_ide
I didn't specify that, but to clarify - standard Z will not give anyone typoid or any other disease. Even if in my hypothetical situation it did (which would be quite apart from any realistic scenario), that only tells us one way the bathroom cleaning shouldn't be managed but not how it should be managed.

Please continue and explain how you think this model household should manage the task of cleaning the bathroom.

There is no need, because it is not applicable to the present discussion. We're talking about uncleanliness to the point of maggots in the kitchen and a risk of rat infestation. That is a health issue. My amendment to your analogy was necessary to make it relevant, and I don't see the point of mooting it without.
Reply 55
There is no need, because it is not applicable to the present discussion. We're talking about uncleanliness to the point of maggots in the kitchen and a risk of rat infestation. That is a health issue. My amendment to your analogy was necessary to make it relevant, and I don't see the point of mooting it without.

A simplified model is a common tool to start working towards some kind of plan or understanding of an issue. If you're not willing to undertake the process then we'll have to just sit here and keep saying how disgusting the OP's house is and offer no realistic solution.

The OP's kitchen being in such a dire state doesn't make obvious the solution to her conflict with her housemates. If you really want to include the idea that my hypothetical bathroom in its dirtiest state would be a health hazard then please go ahead, and answer the question based on that. How should it be cleaned, by whom, how often, and to whose standards?
Shove her head in the bin and hold it there until she gives in.
Reply 57
Original post by NB_ide
you mustn't assume that people presenting different ideas or opinions to yours are being intentionally awkward and faking it just to cause trouble.

People really do see things differently to each other!

It's not because you have a different opinion. I welcome different opinions.

It's because you've entered this thread, have offered to advice to the OP, and have instead quoted a number of people claiming things are "subjective" when, as I have already, explained, they are not.

A house needs to be kept in good, clean order. Having rubbish left out, causing maggots and a possibly rat infestation, is not what any landlord describes as a good, clean order. Therefore something needs to be done about it.

It should be cleaned up by ALL housemates, as all housemates are responsible for making the mess/disposing of rubbish. That all housemates have equal responsibility is made clear in licence agreements.
(edited 12 years ago)
This is why we need guns.
Reply 59
Original post by River85
It's not because you have a different opinion. I welcome different opinions.

It's because you've entered this thread, have offered to advice to the OP, and have instead quoted a number of people claiming things are "subjective" when, as I have already, explained, they are not.

A house needs to be kept in good, clean order. Having rubbish left out, causing maggots and a possibly rat infestation, is not what any landlord describes as a good, clean order. Therefore something needs to be done about it.

It should be cleaned up by ALL housemates, as all housemates are responsible for making the mess/disposing of rubbish. That all housemates have equal responsibility is made clear in licence agreements.

Well firstly that's still subjective, haha - it's just a popular opinion. The landlord's subjective, albeit popular, opinion.

Anyway - so let's imagine we'll work to the landlords particular demands (not what happens IRL, tbh). That's a starting point. We can be fairly sure that the landlord wouldn't want maggots in the kitchen, yes, so we have to get rid of them and avoid any more. We know one case that the landlord objects to, but how can we find out what he approves of exactly? How could he quantitatively express to his tenants the condition the house must be kept in?

What if a tenant has higher standards than the landlord, wouldn't they be stuck doing all the cleaning again?

And in practice the tenants can't ever be landlord-obedient robots and work to his precise demands (again this is a pretty absurd idea anyway) so we still just return to the fact that some people will see things to need cleaning more, more often, or to a higher standard, than others. This will always annoy someone in the house - either the clean person who feels compelled to do "more than their fair share" because they can't stand it otherwise, or the dirty person who gets forced into doing more than they would want to when living alone.

Finding some kind of middle ground where everyone is slightly annoyed with the cleaning they have to do is, in practice, not possible, and usually the fussy clean person will be completely unwilling to do LESS cleaning in order to reach that compromise. So they still end up basically doing it all....

Latest

Trending

Trending