Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flatmate refuses to take the bin out

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    I didn't notice.

Yea, but think of it in practice - that couldn't happen. I'll use arbitrary numbers to represent levels of cleanliness, 0-10.
    Imagine if the bare minimum Z does is keeping the house at cleanliness level 4, and he will clean and tidy things when they hit level 2, at which point he brings them up to 4 and then leaves it a month or two until it falls back to 2. Living on his own this is how it would work.

Perhaps A like things to be kept around level 9, and she cleans something when it drops to level 7, back up to 9. If she lived with Z there would never be any cleaning for Z to do because A keeping her higher standards means that things never drop to a level that Z would have to deal with.

It's not as if Z can do the bottom half of the cleaning and then A polishes it all off to her higher standards, because to get to there being anything for Z to do A must neglect cleaning at all for quite some time, allowing things to slip back down to level 2 or so, whereupon Z will be moved to clean.

Oh, TSR
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Put the rubbish bags outside her room until she gets the message.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicharito14)
    Just be blunt about it, i would.

Tell her to take the rubbish out, mention the fact that it is unhygienic to leave the rubbish in the bin for over a week (in the kitchen especially), not to mention the maggot issue.
    This. When you speak to her and push it you might find out she has some reason in her head she hasn't told you, like "you never do x chore", but rather than asking you to do it she's been childish and done this instead. The problem is if you do it for her shell never stop. But then again it isn't that long before you won't be living together. I empathise with you, I also hate confrontation so avoid it at all costs most of the time, but look at it as a chance to develop your skills for future use!

xxx
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)
    It could be worse, she could be hiding a dead body in her room :lolwut:
    It's her mess, let her sort it out. So what if you have maggots? Collect them in an envelope and post them under her door? :confused:
    :lolwut:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    :lolwut:
    God's creatures
    Seriously though, it's only a bin :facepalm:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    God's creatures
    Seriously though, it's only a bin :facepalm:
    Because, as mentioned, it can attract rats and mice which is both a health hazard and can cause damage to the house.

Would you be happy with maggots in your kitchen?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    women :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If she has her own cupboard in the kitchen, put her rubbish bag from her room in there.
    She'll learn.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    I am amazed that people are defending someone who will not take out their own rubbish.
    What the hell as society come to when people who are that lazy and that disgusting are seemingly in the right in the eyes of some people?
    So many people seem to think they are being clean in different ways, and are arguing with any other ways of being clean. It's rather amusing really.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Because, as mentioned, it can attract rats and mice which is both a health hazard and can cause damage to the house.

Would you be happy with maggots in your kitchen?
    :facepalm: Obviously no, sorry for making a light-hearted joke
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: Obviously no, sorry for making a light-hearted joke
    Humour doesn't come across well on an Internet forum.

But my post was more in reply to "seriously, it's only a bin" rather than maggots being God's creatures. I don't think the bin part was a joke....there doesn't appear to be a punchline.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why people are such dirty, lazy idiots expecting everyone to clean up after them like their mother. This is what happens when parents never teach their children to take responsibility of their own mess, they grow up thinking its ok to do so. This is why I don't think I could ever share a flat with anyone, nasty sods!

OP as your moving out in a few months just put up with it until then.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a phobia of bins but if it is my mess, I will clear it. You have to confront her or kick her ass!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    i know how tht feels, it happens here too
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Humour doesn't come across well on an Internet forum.

But my post was more in reply to "seriously, it's only a bin" rather than maggots being God's creatures. I don't think the bin part was a joke....there doesn't appear to be a punchline.
    Because it is only a bin! OP should just take it out themselves because the alternative would be to nag their flatmate to which the flatmate would be :lolwut:
    Pfft
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because it is only a bin! OP should just take it out themselves because the alternative would be to nag their flatmate to which the flatmate would be :lolwut:
    Pfft
    I can empathise with her. It can get tiresome if you're the only person doing housework.

It's more than "just a bin", it can cause problems which are not just unpleasent to sort out, but can prove to be costly (and lead to the OP being considerably out of pocket).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to stop being such a ****ing lazy drama queen and take the bin out or it's going over her head.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just move things out of your way. If she leaves her dishes in the sink just tip them into a plastic bag and stick them in her cupboard or by her door.

Don't clean them for her, just do whatever the minimum is to get them out of your way.

If she leaves food waste lying around, move it to outside her room.

I think this is a fair approach. If she STILL doesn't want to clean up, then at least the only person who'll suffer because of her mess is herself. Everyone's happy
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    If you're in halls, you could talk to the warden or someone else with authority, because it is a sanitation issue. Otherwise, you will have to just deal with it, not live with her again and warn others to do the same.
    Don't advise her to talk to the warden...
    Sort the problem out for yourself, be confrontational. If she still refuses leave the dustbins outside of her bedroom door.

:mob:
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cypriots)
    Don't advise her to talk to the warden...
    Sort the problem out for yourself, be confrontational. If she still refuses leave the dustbins outside of her bedroom door.

:mob:
    Great advice. Suppose the housemate then goes to the warden about OP's confrontational, health-risk-creating behaviour?
Updated: April 30, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.