The Student Room Group

Teaching myself A-level Biology, one year. From scratch? No GCSE?

Is it possible.

I lied to an extent about the no GCSE. I have GCSE DA Science CC, not because I wasn't smart enough and thats the grade I got, but because I did foundation and that was the max I could get, I'm fairly confident had I been entered for higher teir I would have got a BB if not AA.

Thing is it has been so long since my GCSEs I've probably forgotten quite a large proportion of the GCSE.

So that in mind, would it be possible to self teach AS-biology from the end of summer 2012 to January, and then A2-bio for January to Summer 2013?

Note:

I also took A-level PE, so the systems of the human body are pretty much fresh (kind of) in my mind.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends whether or not you find the subject interesting. I'd say it would be very possible if you enjoy it enough to put in the effort.
Reply 2
Not sure, but being based at the Anarctica Reseach Station can give you some background knowledge on Biology surely.
Reply 3
Original post by Piprod01
It depends whether or not you find the subject interesting. I'd say it would be very possible if you enjoy it enough to put in the effort.

Yeah, it was my favorite science subject and the biology was my favorite bit in PE. The only reason I didn't take it to As-level was because the school asked for BB GCSE. My attendence was awful in my GCSE years, I took regular half days (3-4 days out of 5) and sometimes didn't go in at all. When I was in class, I never did homework etc. So I was predicted a UU-EE therefore wasn't allowed to do higher tier and my protest was in vain.

Other than the Cambridge International A-level. Do you know of any exams boards that don't do coursework?

Original post by yothi5
Not sure, but being based at the Anarctica Reseach Station can give you some background knowledge on Biology surely.

I probably could get the experience. But I have no time at the minute as I have been training to become a penguin since August.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
anyone else know of non-course work examboards?
its REALLY hard... i did As biology at college got BB GCSE i think :s-smilie:
at the end of each topic at college we did a test i got a B once... the rest was all D and below :| it is the most difficult thing i have ever tried to learn, and thats with the teacher being super nice to me and trying to help me all she could...i gave in and dropped it in the end...

anybody who did A level biology is a genius! lol
but good luck! your obviously much more sciencey minded than i am, i think as long as your willing to put the work in you should be able to do it maybe try and find a tutor to help you with it aswell? thats what im hoping to do to get A level maths :smile: (in similar position with that, didnt realise college wouldnt let you do it at A level if you didnt have higher :frown:)
x
Reply 6
Original post by bestofyou

OCR dont have coursework for biology or chemistry.
Reply 7
Yeah, I'd say that it is manageable, although I'm only doing AS, it's pretty easy to self-teach. I've self-taught most of the course, because I find it difficult to learn from teachers. It's a memory test - just memorise the content (with understanding of course) and do past papers, and you can't go too wrong. There isn't anything really difficult to grasp conceptually, it's just about being able to remember it all. Chemistry would be a much harder A-level to self-teach in my opinion!

Are you going to be studying anything else at the same time? If you're doing just biology, then yeah, definitely - you can do it! You might have to try and find an exam board that doesn't involve coursework though? Not sure how that would work... Also, I'm on Edexcel, and my teachers are required to confirm that we've carried out certain practicals, so again, I'm not sure how that would work...
I'm doing it.
How would you do the practical aspect?
Is biology the only subject you will be focussing on? I'd say it's possible to teach yourself the theory content, so long as you have sufficient resources and of course, the right attitude and a decent ability to study :smile:
Is it possible.

I lied to an extent about the no GCSE. I have GCSE DA Science CC, not because I wasn't smart enough and thats the grade I got, but because I did foundation and that was the max I could get, I'm fairly confident had I been entered for higher teir I would have got a BB if not AA.

Thing is it has been so long since my GCSEs I've probably forgotten quite a large proportion of the GCSE.

So that in mind, would it be possible to self teach AS-biology from the end of summer 2012 to January, and then A2-bio for January to Summer 2013?

Note:

I also took A-level PE, so the systems of the human body are pretty much fresh (kind of) in my mind.

Just be warned that A level biology is very bloody hard. Self teaching it is completely possible though.
This isn't true
Reply 13
Original post by ch0wm4n
OCR dont have coursework for biology or chemistry.

cheers, do you do ocr?

Original post by Id and Ego seek
I'm doing it.

and how is that going for you?

Original post by Happymelon
Is biology the only subject you will be focussing on? I'd say it's possible to teach yourself the theory content, so long as you have sufficient resources and of course, the right attitude and a decent ability to study :smile:

Its all I need. I have done 3 A-levels but want to change university course and need an B (preferably an A) in biology. I will probably repeat my history though to grade A. But that isn't a problem as I already know the content.

Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Just be warned that A level biology is very bloody hard. Self teaching it is completely possible though.

Possible to get a good grade?
Possible to get a good grade?

Absolutely.
Is it possible.

Note:

Is it possible? Without a doubt it's possible.

Hard, maybe. But definitely possible.

Besides, most of it's just learning masses of information, so if you have a fairly good short-term memory even learning the stuff a few weeks before the exam would be fine. (Don't, though. lol)

:biggrin:
Reply 16

How would you do the practical exam? Or ISA as its called....and Biology is tough A-Level but its doable if you interested in biology as whole and not just the anatomy of the body.
Reply 17
cheers, do you do ocr?

Yes its not too bad overall, although the conservation stuff is pretty boring.
Reply 18
Original post by ch0wm4n
Yes its not too bad overall, although the conservation stuff is pretty boring.

conservation? thats like fish stocks and stuff, like environmental conservation is it?

So it has no c/work or practicals at all then?

Original post by cuckoo99
How would you do the practical exam? Or ISA as its called....and Biology is tough A-Level but its doable if you interested in biology as whole and not just the anatomy of the body.

I am going to do the OCR test which hasn't got practicals or coursework aparently
Reply 19
conservation? thats like fish stocks and stuff, like environmental conservation is it?

So it has no c/work or practicals at all then?

Yeah mostly environmental conservation, it gets quite tedious, but if you have a good memory your ok, the rest is pretty interesting. The course im doing has practicals (split into 3 parts; qualitative, quantitative and evaluative) but no coursework.

Quick Reply

Latest