The Student Room Group

How good is an A grade these days?

Is getting A grades in your A-levels these days as respectable as it was before the A*? Just wondering if employers would look at a CV with A grades at A-level and think "They didn't get A*'s, they could have done better/aren't as good as somebody else with A*'s."
Original post by Flyteryder
Is getting A grades in your A-levels these days as respectable as it was before the A*? Just wondering if employers would look at a CV with A grades at A-level and think "They didn't get A*'s, they could have done better/aren't as good as somebody else with A*'s."

A? Ha. By the time these people see your CV they won't accept anything below an A*** With Distinction.

Seriously, though, an A should be well-respected. The A grade didn't get easier just because the A* came along.
An A is still an A in the same terms it has always been. The grades haven't lost their value, but the A* merely differentiates between a 'medium' A grade and a 'high' A. An A* is of course fantastic but an A is still wonderful!
I wouldn't panic about it too much. :-)
Original post by Xero Xenith
A? Ha. By the time these people see your CV they won't accept anything below an A*** With Distinction.

Seriously, though, an A should be well-respected. The A grade didn't get easier just because the A* came along.

Oh my goodness! Xero!
It's me, Visions-of-Johanna, reincarnated from my days on the Cambridge threads. :biggrin:
Reply 4
An A* at A Level is a rare sight (in real life, not tsr ;P). You would rarely be put down for it.

Quick Reply

Latest